• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Town names and the meaning behind the name

My town name is Machi which means town in japanese (creative right? haha). I didn't know much japanese when I first played Wild World and I accidentally named that town Hashi instead of Machi so my WW town was names chopsticks in japanese xD

My town name is Machi which means town in japanese (creative right? haha). I didn't know much japanese when I first played Wild World and I accidentally named that town Hashi instead of Machi so my WW town was names chopsticks in japanese xD

Lol for a second, when you said hashi I thought you meant bridge!

Einst?k. It's Icelandic for unique, but that's not why I named it that.

My town is named Ko Olina after one of my favorite areas on Oahu (which is one of the islands of Hawaii, in case you didn't know). It's a resort area, but it was never crowded or overwhelming. The whole area is gorgeous, with calm lagoons that are perfect for snorkeling, a pretty golf course with black swans, and a little hidden cove full of sea turtles. It is so perfect. Since I want my town to be peaceful and simplistic- there ya go <3

My main town is Pancake, which I imagine was just the first thing that came to mind when I was naming it -.- I'm really sick of it now tbh but I can't bring myself to reset just because my town name is dumb.

My second town is No. The name comes from the background story I've semi-developed for the mayor / town. It's nothing I want to make an actual project of, I just can't stop myself from compulsively daydreaming up weird stories >__>

My main town is Pancake, which I imagine was just the first thing that came to mind when I was naming it -.- I'm really sick of it now tbh but I can't bring myself to reset just because my town name is dumb.

My second town is No. The name comes from the background story I've semi-developed for the mayor / town. It's nothing I want to make an actual project of, I just can't stop myself from compulsively daydreaming up weird stories >__>

Pancake isn't so bad! Actually, in researching my step-grandmother who was born in West Virginia in the late 19th Century her marriage certificate lists her as coming from Pancake. So it is a real region, not just a food. I hope that helps...

mine's Konpeito, it's the type of candy that looks like stars :)
I wanted a cute name for a cute town and I've always thought konpeito was cute (though I'm not too terribly fond of candy) so I went with that!

my town flag is also a really common konpeito packaging :)

Last edited:
Dharsking is a...sub thing of Nighting which I took from the word "nightingale".

Interpretations are free though, haha.

My main town is Unova, cause Pokemon :D I had no idea what to name my town when I started, so I just came up with it and I actually like it a lot now.
My second town is Risu, which means squirrel in japanese. It was supposed to be a squirrel town, but atm it's filled with everything but squirrels :D

Mine is Dolce, a dynamic in music that in Italian means "sweetly."
It's my favorite dynamic, plus I'm Italian :3

Cradle, because of the game called cat's cradle.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Mine is Dolce, a dynamic in music that in Italian means "sweetly."
It's my favorite dynamic, plus I'm Italian :3

That is awesome! I love to play songs with the dynamic dolce on my sax.

Last edited:
My town name is Escissia. It's the German name of Vaniville Town in Pok?mon X/Y. I love it, especially because it's described as "a town whose flower is about to bloom." I think it fits very well!

Aperture here. I'm a huge fan of Portal, didn't knew what name I wanted until I've remembered the good Portal moments. Now I'm not sure if I should have gone for Albion. My favourite game is Fable- TLC, love it more than Portal.

I should have named my mayor as Glados though T.T

My first town is named Mirkwood, because I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit fan.
My second town is named Olympus, after Mount Olympus, which in mythology is where the Greek gods live. One of my favourite subjects is Greek mythology. (Totally nothing to do with the Percy Jackson books, I swear :p)
My cycling town is named Terah, which is a made up Elvish town from deep inside my mind. XD The rest of why it's named Terah is waaaay to complicated to explain in one post :p

My main town of Gluten is named that because at the time I was following a gluten free diet and I guess it was funny to name it something I couldn't have.

My second town is named Haven, The mayor is named Penny after my passed away mom, I just couldn't bring myself to name the town Heaven I guess. I do notice that I chose clothing and design the town/house after my moms style. I guess the town is a nice way to honor her.

My main town of Gluten is named that because at the time I was following a gluten free diet and I guess it was funny to name it something I couldn't have.

My second town is named Haven, The mayor is named Penny after my passed away mom, I just couldn't bring myself to name the town Heaven I guess. I do notice that I chose clothing and design the town/house after my moms style. I guess the town is a nice way to honor her.

Aww, that's so sweet of you! :3 *hugs*

Aww, that's so sweet of you! :3 *hugs*

That IS sweet! o:

I almost have to hide with my names then...
Vanilly is my main town because I love vanilla. Vanilla icecream, vanilla scent, the word itself because it sounds so soft both in german (and it's commonly known that german sounds very hard all the time compared to other languages...) and in english, the color of it... it's so beautiful!
I relate vanilla to harmony, somehow. Also, I always imagine that the scent in Animal Crossing Towns might be really great one with everything so colorful, natural and no smog in the air. Just like vanilla somehow (but not the artificial stuff, the real scent from an orchid... mhh)
Also, it is some nostalgia because my towns ALWAYS were named like this!

Ektopla relates to "Ektoplasma", the german word for "Ectoplasm" (kind of obvious) because I like mystery stuff a lot even though it scares me 8D

Back