• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

The Unpopular Opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even after all what happened from the last three years, I still think Obama is the worst president of the United States. That doesn’t make Trump any better, considering all the stuff he did. A popular opinion I have is that anybody is better than Trump, but an unpopular opinion is that I prefer somebody more right-winged than Trump as our president (as long as they’re not as mean, immature, or offensive as Trump). The Republicans should’ve picked Rubio. Picking Trump divided the Republicans even further while it made left-wingers even more left-winged and right-wingers even more right-winged.

Do you think it’s time to end the two-party system in the United States and have multiple parties, or do you think it’s time for both parties to have a leader that can unite everyone from their bases?

So is prom.

I think prom is more overhyped than graduation. Besides, most people that go to prom marry someone else later in life or never get married at all. I never attended prom, but I hope to marry someone I never met in high school or in college.

Deeply unpopular but a lot of the same people I see saying “ugh I’m so glad I don’t live in America because of the protests” are the same kinds of people who either:

a) ignore the problems that also happen in their country

or

b) aren’t even doing anything to contribute to the cause at all, even when there’s plenty of opportunities to do so online like spreading awareness (Literally the most easiest thing to do), signing petitions, or donate money.

Last edited:
lmao i cannot believe throughout the 80 pages i have not made a single post in this thread, i remember i started writing stuff but deleted it for a few times.... ok

anyway, i used to think (not sure how i feel at the moment, i have a different perspective now and don't feel the same about it but i don't know how i would feel if i was still suicidal) that suicide prevention is selfish, dumb and unethical. i had my reasons, i was very suicidal and thought anyone who wanted to stop me wanted me to keep suffering because there was no way i would ever not suffer. it's sad but understandable.

on a brighter note, as a punk rock fan, a lot of pop music isn't that bad.
Post automatically merged:

Even after all what happened from the last three years, I still think Obama is the worst president of the United States. That doesn’t make Trump any better, considering all the stuff he did. A popular opinion I have is that anybody is better than Trump, but an unpopular opinion is that I prefer somebody more right-winged than Trump as our president (as long as they’re not as mean, immature, or offensive as Trump). The Republicans should’ve picked Rubio. Picking Trump divided the Republicans even further while it made left-wingers even more left-winged and right-wingers even more right-winged.

Do you think it’s time to end the two-party system in the United States and have multiple parties, or do you think it’s time for both parties to have a leader that can unite everyone from their bases?

I think prom is more overhyped than graduation. Besides, most people that go to prom marry someone else later in life or never get married at all. I never attended prom, but I hope to marry someone I never met in high school or in college.
bro what's funny is that every single american president has been right wing. you just want extremism.

I could never have a highschool sweetheart and still be with them many years later. I'm a completely different person than I was in highschool. You change SO much (usually anyway). I never dated in highschool and am not sad that I didn't. We're all so immature.

I could never have a highschool sweetheart and still be with them many years later. I'm a completely different person than I was in highschool. You change SO much (usually anyway). I never dated in highschool and am not sad that I didn't. We're all so immature.

I don't know anyone who's still with the person they dated in high school. Granted, I graduated a long time ago but still. The person you are in high school is not the person you're going to be as an adult. Most people change and grow apart and that's okay!

I don't know anyone who's still with the person they dated in high school. Granted, I graduated a long time ago but still. The person you are in high school is not the person you're going to be as an adult. Most people change and grow apart and that's okay!
For sure! We're all constantly growing and changing. There's people that are still with their highschool sweetheart and it's just amazing.

The music that plays in the Moo Moo Meadows track in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8 is a rip-off of J.S. Bach’s compositions, more specifically Jesus bleibet meine Freude.

Another song that sounds too similar to another (even though this makes me sound close-minded) is The Lion Sleeps Tonight sounds a lot like Dr. Looney’s Remedy from Parachute Express.

People should learn to shut their mouth when issues don’t effect them. You have no idea what your talking about and you will never truly understand because it doesn’t apply to you
For sure! They don't need to be always talking! People should also shut up when they don't know what they're talking about. It's embarrassing and annoying for everyone else.

ngl I'm someone who's had a ton of exes since high school, I can say that I dont regret most of the relationships I had. granted, we were all very immature as kids, but personally the experience has given me so much to think about and that made me grow into a better person who's more adapt now to have long-lasting relationships than before. I'm currently with a guy who I love very much, and I'm actually his first girlfriend so he's always thankful for the maturity I brought into the relationship esecially when we were just starting and trying to figure things out between us. My boyfriend and I are definitely not the same people we once were at the start, and neither growing apart or growing together is bad! Change is constant and inevitable no matter the age, but I'm personally one who always likes to take a leap of faith and learn from my mistakes. :)

Also, I broke up with the guys I dated during prom seasons, but I got really good memories from them. Even my friends arent with the same people they dated before, but honestly we like looking back and laughing about those high school days a lot. Sometimes life isn't just about the end results like marriage or stuff, but the friends experiences and memories you make along the way. And i think that's neat.

One of my mom’s closest friends are high school sweethearts (I think, they were best friends in high school and started dating senior year, and then dated it collage!) but I honestly hope I don’t have a high school sweetheart. I love them very much and they are very happy together but I just... never saw the appeal? Maybe I’m salty over something that happened today, or maybe I’m just sad, but having a relationship that lasts throughout high school and the rest of your life seems like it would get really old.

One of my mom’s closest friends are high school sweethearts (I think, they were best friends in high school and started dating senior year, and then dated it collage!) but I honestly hope I don’t have a high school sweetheart. I love them very much and they are very happy together but I just... never saw the appeal? Maybe I’m salty over something that happened today, or maybe I’m just sad, but having a relationship that lasts throughout high school and the rest of your life seems like it would get really old.
Romantic relationships are definitely a personal preference and you don't need to justify not wanting one in highschool! And I get that feeling that it gets old quick, I think that's the reason most high school relationships fall apart (or at least in my high school batch, so many have broken up come college and all). But overall you definitely dont need to force yourself into relationships right away. ❤

Romantic relationships are definitely a personal preference and you don't need to justify not wanting one in highschool! And I get that feeling that it gets old quick, I think that's the reason most high school relationships fall apart (or at least in my high school batch, so many have broken up come college and all). But overall you definitely dont need to force yourself into relationships right away. ❤
Oh yeah, I kind of never thought about it that way! I know I shouldn’t force myself to be in a relationship, but I feel like I’m being excluded in a way. My own guy best friend got a girlfriend in April and never told me, which makes me super mad at him. I’m sure he had a reason for not telling me but I still feel hurt. I just got off track, ah! But yeah, I think I need to just take relationships at my own pace and let them happen naturally. What can I say, I love the old ‘become friends and then let that lead to feelings’ kind of love. Thanks for the advice skar!! 💖

I appreciate the people who love it, and I love the concept of English speakers (and specifically Americans) getting into music not in English and expanding their horizons, but man, I’m sorry to say that I just don’t like k-pop.

My unpopular opinion is that some people spend way too much time trying to convince people that are likely to agree with them on an issue rather than trying to reach new people, even if they seem really different than ourselves. Yes, it may be much more difficult, but I think that that effort can lead to positive, long-term results. I think this is especially true for advocacy or activist groups trying to advance a particular cause or policy, because that policy is more likely to advance if it has majority support in whatever place it's being implemented in. Plus, by reaching new people, you can workshop new ideas and consider how policies can be tweaked or presented differently in order to gain the support they need to pass!

It can definitely be applied to current events, but I'm mostly thinking about my university's student elections when I'm writing this.
And yes, I am still upset about the way that some students have been left out of university discourse simply because the people in charge don't really care enough to reach out to these groups.
And yes, I'm looking at all the student organizing groups who love posting about every event on Facebook, but then complain that no one has showed up or no one cares when they didn't put in the work to do any other types of advertising, and forgot that not everyone is on social media.
Also looking at the theatre performance who complained that no one showed up because they were too worried about the coronavirus but didn't think of asking anybody outside the group about solutions that could have made social distancing in the theatre possible and thought it was because their material was too controversial. Considering the show was about a week before we all left campus for good and that students were already thinking of leaving, plus they scheduled it on a mid-term day, I think that view was a bit short-sighted.

Pro tip: if you're ever running for student government, it's generally not a good idea to only focus your attention on the people who are being vocal and showing up to school events. It's actually people who aren't as involved in school that are the people you need to convince, since this is generally the majority of students on campus. If you can demonstrate that you are able to reach beyond your social circle to meet new people and introduce yourself as a candidate, listen to what they have to say, and incorporate it in your campaigning, that can be a really great way to get more votes.

Last edited:
My unpopular opinion is that some people spend way too much time trying to convince people that are likely to agree with them on an issue rather than trying to reach new people, even if they seem really different than ourselves. Yes, it may be much more difficult, but I think that that effort can lead to positive, long-term results. I think this is especially true for advocacy or activist groups trying to advance a particular cause or policy, because that policy is more likely to advance if it has majority support in whatever place it's being implemented in. Plus, by reaching new people, you can workshop new ideas and consider how policies can be tweaked or presented differently in order to gain the support they need to pass!

It can definitely be applied to current events, but I'm mostly thinking about my university's student elections when I'm writing this.
And yes, I am still upset about the way that some students have been left out of university discourse simply because the people in charge don't really care enough to reach out to these groups.
And yes, I'm looking at all the student organizing groups who love posting about every event on Facebook, but then complain that no one has showed up or no one cares when they didn't put in the work to do any other types of advertising, and forgot that not everyone is on social media.
Also looking at the theatre performance who complained that no one showed up because they were too worried about the coronavirus but didn't think of asking anybody outside the group about solutions that could have made social distancing in the theatre possible and thought it was because their material was too controversial. Considering the show was about a week before we all left campus for good and that students were already thinking of leaving, plus they scheduled it on a mid-term day, I think that view was a bit short-sighted.

Pro tip: if you're ever running for student government, it's generally not a good idea to only focus your attention on the people who are being vocal and showing up to school events. It's actually people who aren't as involved in school that are the people you need to convince, since this is generally the majority of students on campus. If you can demonstrate that you are able to reach beyond your social circle to meet new people and introduce yourself as a candidate, listen to what they have to say, and incorporate it in your campaigning, that can be a really great way to get more votes.

Yes yes, a thousand times yes! I can’t even mention how many times I’ve seen this happen, and no one does anything to change it. Really glad this was finally brought up.

—-

Another unpopular opinion from me? I can’t really think of any right now. I guess maybe one is me not being interested in slice of life anime shows, though that‘s more personal taste than anything else.

Another unpopular opinion from me? I can’t really think of any right now. I guess maybe one is me not being interested in slice of life anime shows, though that‘s more personal taste than anything else.

I used to like slice of life shows but then I just grew bored. I ignored most moe blob ones, expecting nothing valuable to come out of it but even the non moe ones are just...generic to me.

To me, because slice of life shows are based heavily on the characters, the characters need to be interesting enough. I find that a lot of characters are just flat so like, why would I care to watch their lives?

I actually hate it when say for example, Noragami is heavily action based and story based. I would kill to have a fluffy slice of life episode where the characters just messed around more. But because the show is action, those type of scenes are considered filler so they're not included.

I'm just picky though but like, bring me a Yato baking episode or something!

I've never heard of slice of life anime before! I actually don't watch any anime, so I had to google what it means... I can see why it might not be for everyone though. The Animanaga Wiki describes it as not necessarily having any plot progress or character development, with open endings and a lack of exposition, conflict, or denouément (resolution). I don't think I'd find that particularly compelling either.

Slice of life anime has got me thinking about another (possibly) unpopular opinion that I have. I think it's okay that competition reality shows amp up the drama and edit/pick contestants accordingly, because it makes for better entertainment. And that's the primary goal of these shows: not to find the next big talent, but to entertain audiences back home and to make money.

I don't think people understand the extent to which reality television is manufactured. For example, on a competition reality show like The Voice or X Factor or American Idol, the contestants you see at 'the first stage of auditions' have already gone through many rounds of auditions to make it to TV. Realistically, thousands of people, many of whom are probably very talented, audition for those show every year and the celebrity judges only have the time to see so many. Therefore, there has to be a way to whittle down the potential contestant pool into a small enough group that the judges can see everyone, but into a large enough group that there's a lot of variety to be seen.

On the shows that have them, 'bad' contestants (eg. really bad singers) are often selected to make it to the TV stage to give the appearance that the show is more organic (as I suppose it would be very sketchy if everyone who came to the show was already very good), and to also provide more entertainment. As cruel as it is, sometimes bad singers/talents are so bad that it's iconic, and extremely entertaining. Same goes for selecting contestants with a story to tell. If they have a really interesting story or life experience, audiences will be more likely feel connected for that person and to root for them.

The problem with reality shows is that even though producers will often make certain choices to encourage storylines to go in a particular fashion (eg. choosing a certain song for a certain contestant), it's difficult to create a compelling story without compelling characters. Without editing and careful cast selection, I don't think competition reality television would be as entertaining as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back