• LIVE A gaming session for Among Us as part of TBT Neighborly Games is happening right now! Join us in our Discord server's multiplayer channel.
  • We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Villager Thread - What To Work On In The Next Installment!

marshalloween

[♥] he/they/it !! est. 2005
Bells
Switch
6313-6391-1241
Island
tobe fly
I feel like being a mostly luck-based game has both its advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage I'd say is that, for one, it's offputting when you want to go out and actually hunt for a villager, just to find out that specific villager is dry and just like the other villagers of its category. For example, hunting for jock villagers is way less fun when the dialogue is the exact same, and there's nothing that actually distinguishes that villager from other Jock villagers. After all, who want to hunt for a villager that's basically a reskin of the other jock villagers with a different catchphrase?

I'd like to see you-all's opinions on the matter. I'm sure there are way more issues that I've missed.
What are some issues you've encountered with the villager mechanic?
Post automatically merged:

Please be respectful in this thread! No villager wars or any of the such. Thank you, and happy crossing!

-marshalloween

[REPLY BELOW THIS POST!!]

Last edited:
I will give NH credit for the fact that at least there's more ways to get villagers than previous games, but yeah. It's still annoying. I also hate the fact too that 1) I don't think they'll ever take away villager randomness completely (I think they do it on purpose to encourage you to get to know other villagers) and 2) even though they know people hate it, their official (excluding trade adoptions from others) solution to this is spending more money to buy and scan amiibo of the villagers you want.

I will give NH credit for the fact that at least there's more ways to get villagers than previous games, but yeah. It's still annoying. I also hate the fact too that 1) I don't think they'll ever take away villager randomness completely (I think they do it on purpose to encourage you to get to know other villagers) and 2) even though they know people hate it, their official (excluding trade adoptions from others) solution to this is spending more money to buy and scan amiibo of the villagers you want.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one big plot to get people to spend more money on amiibos. Classic business move. sigh

I personally prefer the randomness and almost wish there was more of it (on my island, maybe as an optional feature letting them leave/move in without your consent [I just really loved the unpredictability of how it was in past titles personally]), but having the ability to use amiibo cards (or maybe…. If you meet a villager on an island while hunting you can take down their “contact information” and call them later would be kind of cool) to bring them in doesn’t bug me in the slightest. But alas I’ve been collecting the amiibos since their release so that’s not too much of a difficulty for me.
The only villager hunting dynamic I do not like in NH is the campsite. It’s too much of a pain imo. I wish that it was something more like when you invite amiibos and you craft something for them instead.

I know this is really unlikely because of the amount of work it would take writing/translating wise, but I wish both species AND personality type affected dialogue. Like a lazy alligator and a lazy dog should have completely different viewpoints and different things to say.

I personally prefer the randomness and almost wish there was more of it (on my island, maybe as an optional feature letting them leave/move in without your consent [I just really loved the unpredictability of how it was in past titles personally])
I agree with this! I actually didn't mind villagers moving out, added a bit of fun (and heartbreak) whenever villagers decided to move out. I also wish cranky and snooty villagers were meaner, and I remember a lot of people wanting that when NH was announced.

I know this is really unlikely because of the amount of work it would take writing/translating wise, but I wish both species AND personality type affected dialogue. Like a lazy alligator and a lazy dog should have completely different viewpoints and different things to say.
I kinda wish there was more originality to the villagers, but eh. There are 300+ villagers, so i cant ask for too much.
Yes, this is a big thing I'd like to see in the next AC, more varied villager dialogue. But I also understand that implementing something like the dialogue not only being different between personalities, but different between types of animals might be an undertaking the devs don't want. There's a large number of AC fans who care more about how a villager looks than their personality type or dialogue, not that I'm disparaging them or saying that's wrong by the by, but because of that the effort of making more varied dialogue, especially with unpopular species types, might seem like wasted effort.

Yes, this is a big thing I'd like to see in the next AC, more varied villager dialogue. But I also understand that implementing something like the dialogue not only being different between personalities, but different between types of animals might be an undertaking the devs don't want. There's a large number of AC fans who care more about how a villager looks than their personality type or dialogue, not that I'm disparaging them or saying that's wrong by the by, but because of that the effort of making more varied dialogue, especially with unpopular species types, might seem like wasted effort.

I definitely understand your point about people caring more about looks rather than the actual villagers. It's sad how nowadays people only care about multicolored eyes or "aesthetics". I really wish the villagers were seen as more than aesthetics because that's not what they were initially for, for the most part at least.

Back