• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

The hardest game you have ever played

Zelda II is one hell of a game. I could only make it to the Great Palace before I gave up, and even then I'm proud of myself for making it to the final dungeon. It's been several years since I've played it, I might be able to beat it now if I were to revisit it.

NieR Automata on hard/very hard difficulty is also pretty grueling until you become overleved and find a good chip set up, then afterwards it's a cakewalk. But the opening sequence on hard or very hard? Yeah... it's tough. The feeling when you finally miss a dodge and take a hit to start over is kind of exhilarating though, that game really made my hands sweat during some sequences.

Big shout outs to Monster Hunter Freedom Unite offline. Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through that ****. There's nothing better than positioning perfectly for a hammer super pound and getting a Bullfango up the ass, then the monster taking you for a nice 100-0 HP combo with the infinitely respawning smaller annoyances. I've never played a game so infuriatingly unfair at times. They call it FU for a reason. Still one of my favourite MH experiences tho

Zelda II is one hell of a game. I could only make it to the Great Palace before I gave up, and even then I'm proud of myself for making it to the final dungeon. It's been several years since I've played it, I might be able to beat it now if I were to revisit it.

NieR Automata on hard/very hard difficulty is also pretty grueling until you become overleved and find a good chip set up, then afterwards it's a cakewalk. But the opening sequence on hard or very hard? Yeah... it's tough. The feeling when you finally miss a dodge and take a hit to start over is kind of exhilarating though, that game really made my hands sweat during some sequences.

Big shout outs to Monster Hunter Freedom Unite offline. Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through that ****. There's nothing better than positioning perfectly for a hammer super pound and getting a Bullfango up the ass, then the monster taking you for a nice 100-0 HP combo with the infinitely respawning smaller annoyances. I've never played a game so infuriatingly unfair at times. They call it FU for a reason. Still one of my favourite MH experiences tho

I'll agree that the earlier monster hunter games were particularly brutal, even though I use light bow gun it's still a OHKO if I get tapped by any monster. Completing the final quests for G rank are also tough, trying to defeat 4-5 of the hardest monsters in a row is scary (especially when its 2-3 at a time).

Some other things that are tough for me have to be enter the gungeons challenge mode and black ops 3s realistic difficulty.

In gungeons challenge mode it's pretty much all rng based as skill can only get you so far until a bad combo of room modifications ends you.

And black ops 3... you know how spongy call of duty characters are at absorbing bullets, try playing it where getting shot once kills you and that's what realistic difficulty is (mind you there is a one time use self revive that you can use).

As for games that weren't hard just for the sake of being hard (read: bad, frustrating controls or unfair matchups) probably super meat boy. Getting through the game wasn't that bad but going for the 100% and some achievements was rough, those warp worlds got so hard...

Aside from poorly designed retro games, I would say Crypt of the Necrodancer. Traversing randomly generated dungeons to the beat of the music is agonizing. The perma-death only makes the game more unforgiving.

Hmm... probably Metroid Prime 3 on hypermode? On normal and veteran difficulties it's the easiest of the trilogy. But on hypermode difficulty, it feels like a completely different game. But being forced to use the hypermode mechanic and knowing how to manage your own health as ammo was really creative, I liked it!

Octopath Traveler's final boss was also quite a mess. The rest of the game is pretty manageable but that final boss oml. I got through it but I don't want to do that again.

And finally, the high dragon trials in Dragalia Lost. This doesn't really apply anymore since they've made so many changes to make the fights easier. But you pretty much had to play with 3 other random people, all without any meaningful communication, and all 4 of you had to play near perfectly. It was frustrating but also really satisfying getting your first clears. Now you can evaporate all of them in like 15 seconds before they get a single attack in but oh well.
Post automatically merged:

Oh also! 100%ing the Wii U version of Hyrule Warriors. The later missions are pretty much all 15 minute long don't get hit challenges. ngl I still feel a bit sad at how easy the 3DS and Switch versions are in comparison.

Last edited:
Cuphead is a really tough game, the randomness of each level make the game really hard and unpredictable.

Seconding Enter The Gungeon.

I bought it thinking "Oh. This looks very cute. I love the art and it looks fun!"

Most. Impossibly. Difficult. Game.

I swear the Devs will be laughing all the way down to ****

I dont play that that difficult games but probably the most challenging was hallow knight

Fallout 2, I swear it made me want to rip my eyeballs out but it was too good to quit playing 😔

Hollow Knight. It's so good too, you have a healing ability and failing is completely your fault. Not being able to beat the second boss has been very entertaining so far. 😂

Y’all try beating Mario Lost Levels, I’ll be waiting to hear back from you next year

Zelda 2: Adventure of Link is really hard to complete. So many tricky fights and hidden things that can easily be missed. Though Gradius is up there as well. I had to rely on save states to even stand a chance and I can’t imagine what it’s like if I didn’t have that. I probably wouldn’t even get past the first level because I suck at dodging bullets.

PMD: explorers of sky. Most of it’s not too terrible, but I remember temporal tower kicking my butt countless times. I owned a thicc (I mean huge) paperback strategy guide and still struggled. I was younger then, but I bet it’s still tough.

X-Men for Sega Genesis. I had such a love-hate relationship with that game growing up. It's absurdly difficult anyway, and I've never been very coordinated haha 😬

mario odyssey, any platformer game I just can't I'm really bad at it, most of my deaths in ssb is me falling off the map :)

Back