• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

The ACNH Rant Thread

Meh. New Leaf remains the most transformative and fulfilling Animal Crossing game.

My main issue with New Horizons is that it isn't as relaxing as previous installments. Chilling out fishing? Whoops, let's break your fishing rod. Now you've got to go through the bore of chopping wood and crafting a rod through the tedious mechanics of crafting. You can't do what you want to do without interruption anymore and that's a problem.

Don't get me started on the missing content. We're paying £50/$60 for this game, give us more than enough in the base game, Nintendo. To echo what others have said, it's like they took a masterclass on how to release a game Sims 4-style (which is horrible).

I don't dislike the game, I'm just a little underwhelmed. They're definitely catering to a more casual audience who will play the game for a couple of months and then retire it indefinitely. I'm sure they'll add plenty of content through updates, but I'm still underwhelmed.

The villager dialogue is abysmal. Shame.

This is why you can't really give a game like Animal Crossing an accurate review score without having played it for a few months. Animal Crossing isn't a short experience.

Oh well. I'm staying optimistic and there's still plenty I do like about the game.

this! my only previous ac game was new leaf in 2013 and it had an entirely different feel to it. this one feels a little impersonal..or maybe ive changed as a person since then?

In New Leaf, I think mail was delivered a second time at 5PM, in previous games, it was about 6PM, though could have also have been 5PM.

I was extremely disappointed to find no mail being delivered in the evenings in this game.

If you have friends messaging you I’m pretty sure it does come twice a day. If it’s from the catalogue I swear it’s always been the day after regardless

Meh. New Leaf remains the most transformative and fulfilling Animal Crossing game.

My main issue with New Horizons is that it isn't as relaxing as previous installments. Chilling out fishing? Whoops, let's break your fishing rod. Now you've got to go through the bore of chopping wood and crafting a rod through the tedious mechanics of crafting. You can't do what you want to do without interruption anymore and that's a problem.

Don't get me started on the missing content. We're paying £50/$60 for this game, give us more than enough in the base game, Nintendo. To echo what others have said, it's like they took a masterclass on how to release a game Sims 4-style (which is horrible).

I don't dislike the game, I'm just a little underwhelmed. They're definitely catering to a more casual audience who will play the game for a couple of months and then retire it indefinitely. I'm sure they'll add plenty of content through updates, but I'm still underwhelmed.

The villager dialogue is abysmal. Shame.

This is why you can't really give a game like Animal Crossing an accurate review score without having played it for a few months. Animal Crossing isn't a short experience.

Oh well. I'm staying optimistic and there's still plenty I do like about the game.

Okay, I will say that I do disagree somewhat with your rating of the villager dialogues -- Bob has said some very silly things to me and it is very cute -- but I see what you mean.

As for the rest of your argument, I couldn't agree more.

I don't mind spoilers, and I've been very keen on inquiring about a few features I've been looking forward to unlocking from a few people I know who time travel like crazy. Some of them are already in the summer. And yet apparently, Label will only visit your town to do fashion contests about 6 times with no Gracie update or anything as a result. The Nook's Cranny upgrades once. Kicks never sets up shop and is always a vendor that appears very irregularly.

It's going to hurt my heart if I can never buy Gracie furniture. I honestly really do not appreciate the way they are handling content. I am assuming they'll post it in a DLC pack later on, but how much later do we have to wait? I understand the pressures of releasing it, but this feels so incomplete. I feel like they're trying so hard to expand their demographic of active players that they've forgotten about a few things that their already established fan base would hate to go without.

I understand that, allegedly, Blathers and gyroids will make a return in the future. I can only pray that Redd and his art, Gracie and her furniture, Pelly and Phyllis and their EXTREMELY nostalgic post office, and et cetera will do as well. And I hope they do it soon. I know it's going to take me a ****load of time to get to the point of unlocking them, but knowing that they aren't even there is just kind of depressing.

And the tool breaking feature, I mean, really? What are we in, Minecraft? I liked the flimsy tool version at first because it forced you to craft, and since I'm not used to that feature yet it really got me a little more familiar with it. But I really hate going on a fishing spree only for my rod to break when I'm all the way across the island. Same goes for shovels when they break after hitting rocks. I lost my little hit streak when trying to mine for iron because of it and it was so grating. I've read that golden tools even break. What's the point of them then!

The furniture is really cute in the villagers' homes but I have no idea how we possibly are able to get it in the store or anywhere else because the only things that ever appear in Nook's Cranny are traffic cones and kitchen knife wall sets! There's not even ROOM for a double bed or a couch on that furniture pedestal. I doubt I'll be able to craft that pretty leather couch like Ed has in my town too. What would I use to do that? Leather?? Lmao there's no way to get leather in this game so I guess I'll just have to admire it from afar.

I feel like it's premature to judge it fully, but with the insight given by the people who are breezing through all of the updates, I feel like they're discovering the essence of incompletion that Nintendo would've really appreciated nobody to see.

Not to mention the fully upgraded house results. Apparently you can't expand the left/right/backside rooms at all. They're just going to be eternally tiny. I haven't discovered this for myself, but grr, it makes me mad to think about!

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk lol.

Last edited:
If you have friends messaging you I’m pretty sure it does come twice a day. If it’s from the catalogue I swear it’s always been the day after regardless

Friend mail will be delivered multiple times throughout the day, not not regular mail.

Can't move through half squares like in HHD. You can diagonally but not in a straight line. If I want to move through some of my things easily it still has to be an entire tile of space, but HHD let you squeeze through the half squares, kinda wish it worked like that.

I also heard that
golden tools break??? I don't like this idea at all and I don't see the point in wasting gold if they break eventually anyways. The silver and gold tools should have been unbreakable (silver tools being easier to obtain than gold but having less features that a gold tool would have like some past games)

IIRC, dataminers have found no upgrade to the store pre 1.1.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You seriously like horse mackerels? Wow.... I'd take a sea bass or dab anyday over the Horse Macks.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Umm, that's wrong. A rod only requires 5 sticks, which takes 5 seconds to get from shaking the same tree over and over. No chopping required.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You've played it for less than a week and are ranting already? Should we not all wait "a few months" before ranting?

You're in the rant thread. Stop gaslighting everyone and give us space to do what the thread is made for.

I'm annoyed how people already ruined the economy with duping. I wouldn't complain about others' playstyle, but it's effecting normal people who have to pay to compete with the prices. Their choices I guess, but I hate how it hasn't even been 4 days and it's happening already.

And no I'm not calling anyone out, I'm talking about whatever exploit it is that needs to be patched.

Last edited:
Windows being tied to the wallpapers is asinine. Who came up with this stupid idea?! What the heck?! Let me have my windows!

My main gripe with the game is the decent chunk of content that was randomly cut from NL; even if this content is added later on with future updates (which hopefully they will be) things like the Cafe, Gracie's shop and other important characters/features really should have just been in the base game to begin with

Crafting could definitely use some tweaking; I fail to see a reason that crafting the same item in multiples at the same time given you have the required materials and inventory space should not be a thing. I'm also not a fan of the way tool breaking was implemented given how fast they break, especially with the flimsy variation, which makes things unnecessarily annoying in the early game. As far as I'm aware there's no way to get tools that are unbreakable, even with gold tools, which is just stupid

Villager dialogue could be a lot better; it's lacking just as much as much as NL's dialogue, if not even more. Thankfully it's partially made up by villager characterisation in other aspects, since they actually interact with the world and do things instead of almost always walking around aimlessly like in previous games

Other than that my issues with the game are minor iirc, or are to do with added features that are essentially superfluous (cough cough Harvey's island) when the time spent on said superfluous content could be spent on not cutting important content that was present in NL

I don't really understand the criticism that this game feels like a Sims game. Doesn't feel like it at all in my opinion; I can maybe see it with house customisation when you're in house designer mode or whatever it's called, but that's an optional feature given you can just customise your house in the same way you did in previous games. Everything else still feels like it has been done in a way that aligns with the series

Overall I think even with these issues the game is still better than all the prior instalments. There's HUGE amount of customisation; all the previous games pale in comparison in this aspect. I think that's something a lot of people understate given just how much there is; crafting, terraforming, and the ability to place furniture anywhere are all absolutely massive alone, and there's so much more on top of that. The overall worldbuilding and attention to detail in making the game feel immersive (outside of villager dialogue) is generally outstanding, far better than all prior games in my opinion. Goes without saying but the quality of graphics are significantly better than all previous games.

That being said I can understand why people might not like NH in it's current state as much as NL given the negatives, especially with the cut content, but in my opinion the positives more than make up for it, even without consideration of the plausibility that a good amount of the cut content and issues with the game will be remedied

Sort of went on a tangent with praising the game but oh well

Last edited:
I like Clyde, but he took the spot I wanted Pango to have... Is there a way to switch villager's houses around?

There are only a few problems I have so far.

I dislike that crafting materials only stack to 30, yet weeds can stack up to 90 something. I don’t understand why they did this, because now crafting material takes up so much space in my pockets. So now I either have to drop them on the ground to make room for other stuff, or run to my house and put it in storage.

Adding on from that first one, I don’t like that tools and materials are stored in your pockets. I wish there was a separate inventory for them, especially since there are way more tools this time around. I just hate that my pockets are taken up by so much stuff. And I have 40 inventory slots too, so it bothers me that so many of them get taken up.

I wish mystery tours were more diverse. I’ve gone on about 10 of them, maybe more, and so far every single one has been the exact same as my town. There’s no new fruits or flowers or anything new to discover or take home. For the price, it’s a huge let down. I wish there was more variety.

- I'm down to DIY but why the heck do I have to craft 1 medicine and 1 one fish bait at a time...so tedious to sit through the crafting animation/selections 10 times when you have 10 clams in your bags.

Just wanted to say that you can speed the crafting animation up by just tapping the A button faster (it is funny watching the animation when it is fast lol). ;)

I'm annoyed how people already ruined the economy with duping. I wouldn't complain about others' playstyle, but it's effecting normal people who have to pay to compete with the prices. Their choices I guess, but I hate how it hasn't even been 4 days and it's happening already.

And no I'm not calling anyone out, I'm talking about whatever exploit it is that needs to be patched.

I can’t believe people would still dupe or hack. Even Time Traveling and resetting, which is generally frowned upon, aren’t that bad since they are intended to be part of the game. We can’t control how others play their games, but we can refuse service to dupers and hackers in trading boards.

I love this game, however I'm not a huge fan of crafting I just find it tedious and time consuming

They cut Gala from the villagers list (as far as we know)...and as you can tell from my entire Bell Tree Forums persona I have built up for 7 years..I will never be able to get over this.

On a more game specific note-
1) Crafting straight up wastes my time
2) I think fishing was more exciting in NL.. like.. way more exciting. I have caught so many sea bass that at this point I'm going to throw all of them at Tom Nook
3) Fruit takes too long to spawn if its foreign and im not down (same goes for flowers/hybrids)
4) Sometimes I feel like I've entered WildWorld again instead of a step up from New Leaf

Although I did want to point out that many of the complaints about villagers/npc's are slightly invalid.
While there has been a reduction in the number of villagers/NPC returning that can be confirmed by data-mining, shops like Nooks Cranny (the first real shop in ACNH) were not in the data mine prior to the 1.1 update, suggesting that ACNH creators are expecting to release updates overtime with upgrades/NPCS/Villagers. This thus discourages tt'ing, something nintendo wanted to discourage (thats why they removed the clock ability from the AC game itself), and encourage collective online playing (they want u to buy that membership).

Brewster
Resetti
Gulliver
Jack
Jingle
Kicks
All of the Able sisters
Lloid the gyroid (the gyroids have not disappeared..)
Saharah
The snowmen
Wisp
Zipper
Gracie (rumored)
Redd(rumored)

It is unfortunate that trailers/teasers did not adequately provide information on further updates/DLC's, making it seem as though hope was lost for villagers and NPC's. but only time can tell whether they will truly reappear

Reading through this thread again, I hope they come out with some proper updates, not just seasonal events. Nintendo has been going through this weird phase of dumbing down Switch titles lately. Pokemon seems to be the most recent example?

I enjoy the game a lot but from what people have stated coming from those who have time travelled, things aren’t looking as good as they could be.

Last edited:
i mean ik there are going to be updates, but the game just feels unfinished imo

idk if it's just me but the fish are... stupider??? like i'll cast a line right next to one and it won't notice. that or they just. turn around. which is especially annoying if i'm fishing in a lake bc i'll have to run around the lake like 50 times bc the fish keeps turning around lol. other than that i wish they didn't take out stuff that was in new leaf like the cafe and everything, and i wish they didn't make the houseing plots for your 3 villagers so enormous bc now my other two villagers' houses are out of line with the others smh. also if my fishing rod breaks one more time i'm gonna lose it

Back