• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Tell me about your ACNH scam stories

THIS is what makes me hesitant to give stuff away for free.
I don't need NMT or bells so I'm happy to give stuff to people who want it.
But if I saw that same person listing the item for sale I would be absolutely livid.

i had this happen to me in new leaf. i used to hold a bunch of giveaways and one time gave away the 7/11 set for free - the person who claimed it almost immediately posted a thread selling it and it was uh,, not a nice feeling lmao

I’ve only had two negative experiences so far and neither were on tbt.

The first was on reddit where I bought an item with nmts that was supposed to be a specific color only to find out it wasn’t after the person left.

The second was on nookazon. I gave away a moms cake for free. All my items are free and I do it because I don’t need money and just to be nice. Not even a whole minute after the trade the person immediately listed it for sale for nmts. So I got used basically.
Man i wish i got the cake. I Looking for one.

Idk if this is considered a scam but someone told me they would amiibo Marshal in for me but didn’t know if you could amiibo someone in multiple times and to make a thread to verify. I did so and multiple people verified that you could scan multiple times. I sent the person the thread and they went totally no contact on me even though I could see they were online. I was able to get Marshal from someone else, but why even offer to do something if you’re not even going to do it?

never been scammed but i always mess up my communication- either i literally cant load messages or something comes up on their end or mine, or it's THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT in my timezone and im gone💀

i accidentally took someones furniture set when it was meant for cataloguing :( i felt bad and apologized but the poster was really sweet and let me keep it.

Last edited:
i accidentally took someones furniture set when it was meant for cataloguing :( i felt bad and apologized but the poster was really sweet and let me keep it.

other than that, i paid someone NMT for art and never got it. luckily i haven't had anything else happen.
what kind of poster?

THIS is what makes me hesitant to give stuff away for free.
I don't need NMT or bells so I'm happy to give stuff to people who want it.
But if I saw that same person listing the item for sale I would be absolutely livid.
Yeah and it was a matter of seconds after the trade ended because I went to give her a good rating and saw it was listed “a few seconds ago” lmao

i’ve never been scammed, which i attribute to the fact that i exclusively trade on tbt—i’ve done maybe 50 trades, and the majority have them have been very smooth and pleasant.

however, i did have a poor experience when i opened my gates for turnip sellers. it was a large spike early in the week (tuesday), so i was overwhelmed with lots of messages; i made sure to ask for everyone’s in-game name and island before i gave them their dodo code. there were multiple names i didn’t recognize, though, which meant that a few users probably handed the dodo to their friends :c it really frustrated me since it slowed down the process for users who waited patiently and fairly, and it wasn’t like i could actually do anything about it. i also saw one player wander far away from nook’s cranny and to grab some diy recipes i had lying out. granted, it was partially my fault for not picking them up before i opened my gates, but honestly i didn’t expect anyone to go anywhere other than the cranny. there were some rare recipes, like seasonal ones i was saving for my friends. all in all, it really opened my eyes to why some players choose to charge an entry fee to sell turnips, and as much as i enjoyed helping people, that experience makes me not really want to open my gates again c’:

I’ve done a lot of trades but only got scammed out of 5 NMTs for a semi popular villager. They went to the villager, got them to agree and swore up and down they dropped the tickets on the dock. :L
I shrugged it off, they needed the NMTs more probably.
Now I block off a tiny area though I’ve had people ask to ‘explore’ when they can see I decorated my island with stars /mindblown

i have a few bad nookazon stories from people trying to leave quietly and interrupting trades, but all my transactions on here have been very positive!!

its sad to hear horror stories about islands being disrespected though :c im glad the rating system on this site exists

Last edited:
I’ve actually Never had a bad xperience on tbt, thankfully.

My worst experiences were mostly in NL where i used reddit alot, but so far in NH, all has been well. People have been kind and patient, i have had long ongoing trades and its just tbt in general.

Sometimes i wonder what goes through the heads of the people who scam or cheat others in a game like this. Whyyyy?

i have a few bad nookazon stories from people trying to leave quietly and interrupting trades, but all my transactions on here have been very positive!!

its sad to hear horror stories about islands being disrespected though :c im glad the rating system on this site exists
I feel like the rating system is also flawed in its own way. I once had a negative review back in NL where i had internet connection issues and couldnt send tbt after trading. Got negative reviews but then the seller later posted a positive review to reflect that i did in fact complete my end of the trade but back then i stayed with a 98.4% for no reason ;-;

I’ve had mostly great trades at tbt. Been ghosted a few times, but I understand life happens. I did a trade from reddit once though and it put a bad taste in my mouth. I invited someone to come get a diy from a villager who was crafting it. I was guiding people and someone ran off asking if they could shop while they were waiting. I said fine. After everything was done and I closed my gates, I noticed a bunch of my hybrids near the shop were plucked. I messaged the only person who could’ve taken them, asking if they took them and they got super defensive and aggressive and said “they were only stupid flowers”. 🙄

I don't think I've ever been scammed before but back when I was playing NL a lot of people would steal or trample all over my golden roses that were in front of the train station whenever I was doing trades or giveaways :cry: I've learnt my lesson and will not be putting super rare hybrids by the airport in NH.

Happy Birthday to whoever just stole like 50% of the items I had on the ground and most of my shrub starts when I opened my island today! 🤡
By climbing over cliffs that I forgot to put fencing on even though I made it clear that I didn't want anybody wandering around! 🤡
All of it reorderable, so the damage is not irreversible, but it feels bad, man... It probably wasn't someone from TBT, though, cause I had an open queue on turnip.exchange... I blame myself, mostly.

Back