• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

So I got “scammed” and here’s a tip on how to avoid it in the future

They should not have done that. It always feels terrible to be scammed. I give DIYs away for free and catalog for free so I do think the price point is high, but lol about them thinking they were Robin Hoods for pixels.If they were unhappy with the price then they should have just left it alone. It is easy to get diys for free anyways.
It sounds like you made a pretty good profit either way...too bad it was at the cost of your trust.

Umm, so yeah... I read the conversation OP sent me between them and the scammer, and uhh... W O W.

It's just a game and blah blah blah, but the tone and verbiage this person used was... calculated and lacking ANY remorse for their actions whatsoever (and in fact took JOY and boasted about causing you anxiety/paranoia over what they stole). I'm really sorry this happened to you. It was definitely a seasoned and coldblooded scammer who surely has done it many times before and will continue to do it again.

That's kinda funny though because they tried so hard but you still ended up profiting lmaoo

I'd love to read but if it's too much of a hassle you don't have to worry about it

3mil between 9 diys is 333k each which was your original price. NMT used to go 300k each and they go as low as 100k now.
A KK song is what..3500 or so from nook shopping daily. Which would account to 186kish.

But, I personally just can't fathom taking more than 150k for a recipe and maybe doing 250k to catalog all the songs if I had them on hand already...and at this point I honestly just would give it for free. I spent more ordering all the elaborate kimono stands which is over a mil total and still couldn't fathom charging for people to catalog it.

At the end of the day you can charge whatever prices you'd like. Just because a few inflated topics arise doesn't really credibly decide that it was a reasonable price...especially when there's just as many topics daily/weekly for zen style stones, garden rocks, wreaths for free (one of them was my topic tbh because I had so many repeats of those). I'm not saying you shouldn't charge what you want but, if I was going to charge to make large turns which you acknowledge trying to turn profits for, I'd just own the high price instead of insisting it was generous.

True enough. If I’m going to be honest I value igb way higher but if there’s a market at this rate, then I’m going to operate at this rate. I try to base my prices on what I see both here and on other sites and I think that the sticker shock is just really crazy, but it’s technically what people pay. When rare wreaths and Celeste diys go for like 15 nmt people don’t think about how much igb they’re technically spending. (Like that crescent moon chair that went for like 60 or something wth??)
Post automatically merged:

That's kinda funny though because they tried so hard but you still ended up profiting lmaoo

I'd love to read but if it's too much of a hassle you don't have to worry about it
:eek: can i read the transcript too?

Just sent them lol

That is so infuriating. I know scamming happens on nearly all video games and I absolutely despise it, but to think people scam others on Animal Crossing of all games? Like AndyP08 said, their life must be seriously empty.

If it helps, I do have a spare Cutting Board DIY, Zen-style Stone DIY, and I can add in a Gold-Screen Wall DIY I have no problem giving them to you for free.

That is so infuriating. I know scamming happens on nearly all video games and I absolutely despise it, but to think people scam others on Animal Crossing of all games? Like AndyP08 said, their life must be seriously empty.

If it helps, I do have a spare Cutting Board DIY, Zen-style Stone DIY, and I can add in a Gold-Screen Wall DIY I have no problem giving them to you for free.

Thank you for your concern, I really appreciate it, but I actually was just going to sell them anyways so that’s the biggest reason why I’m not so hurt. I’m currently trying to liquidate all of my diys so they kinda helped in that regard lol

So many threads about scams today but this person sounds like an absolute nightmare!

And for those here making it about the costs you charged, I don't think you even need to justify it. If that is the price you feel is reasonable, then that's the price you set. If someone doesn't like it they can go elsewhere. It doesn't give people the right to scam you. That's like going into a shop that sells expensive goods and deciding that their prices make it okay to shoplift, smh.

So many threads about scams today but this person sounds like an absolute nightmare!

And for those here making it about the costs you charged, I don't think you even need to justify it. If that is the price you feel is reasonable, then that's the price you set. If someone doesn't like it they can go elsewhere. It doesn't give people the right to scam you. That's like going into a shop that sells expensive goods and deciding that their prices make it okay to shoplift, smh.

Thanks! It’s really unfortunate that scamming is so common. Thanks for your second comment though. I usually expect haggling and they had every opportunity to, but they accepted each offer straightaway so I don’t understand why they complained.

i would also love to view the conversation, seems like good drama lol

but nevertheless, even if they thought the price was too high, they really could've just negotiated? but i guess some people find happiness in messing with others in a wholesome game about catching creatures and talking to animals :(

definitely sucks, i had someone on discord give me two of the wrong songs when i gave them way too much bells for like six songs because i thought it was nice to be generous when i was getting what i wanted, didn't realize until later that they had given me a song i specifically said that i had someone order for me and another one i already had instead of some i actually needed. like all i wanted was to complete my collection of tunes lol

i would also love to view the conversation, seems like good drama lol

but nevertheless, even if they thought the price was too high, they really could've just negotiated? but i guess some people find happiness in messing with others in a wholesome game about catching creatures and talking to animals :(

definitely sucks, i had someone on discord give me two of the wrong songs when i gave them way too much bells for like six songs because i thought it was nice to be generous when i was getting what i wanted, didn't realize until later that they had given me a song i specifically said that i had someone order for me and another one i already had instead of some i actually needed. like all i wanted was to complete my collection of tunes lol

Oh it is some good drama lol. I also can hook you up with some songs if you want though. I won’t have access to my switch until tomorrow though (my sister)

The drama is palpable but also highly upsetting to me as I know people who approach real life like this. This kind of attitude that everything is for my amusement, I’m entitled to whatever I want, and it’s funny when that causes other people distress, is a whole let less entertaining when we’re not talking pixels. unfortunately I don’t need to read that transcript because I’m pretty sure I know exactly how it goes.

so yeah, can someone explain to me exactly how this invite a friend thing ends up screwing you? I know it has something to do with forcing a save, just curious what to watch out for. And like some others have said, this is like the third thread today just on this forum about someone trying to pull this exact scheme off, which would indicate some clown somewhere posted a tutorial or info about the scam and now every idiot with a friend lacking in moral discernment is trying it.

im absolutely going to keep this in mind "if there is two people doing the trade with you, just disconnect without dropping any items." Its a scam

Wow, can never be too careful with trades these days. People do literally anything to get the items they want.

Would I be able to read the messages? XD

The drama is palpable but also highly upsetting to me as I know people who approach real life like this. This kind of attitude that everything is for my amusement, I’m entitled to whatever I want, and it’s funny when that causes other people distress, is a whole let less entertaining when we’re not talking pixels. unfortunately I don’t need to read that transcript because I’m pretty sure I know exactly how it goes.

so yeah, can someone explain to me exactly how this invite a friend thing ends up screwing you? I know it has something to do with forcing a save, just curious what to watch out for. And like some others have said, this is like the third thread today just on this forum about someone trying to pull this exact scheme off, which would indicate some clown somewhere posted a tutorial or info about the scam and now every idiot with a friend lacking in moral discernment is trying it.

basically after the main person picked up the items, the second character came to my island. This causes all players to save. The game saved that the items were no longer on the ground and saved them in her inventory
Post automatically merged:

I wanna read the conversation as well. It sounds like a good read XD
Wow, can never be too careful with trades these days. People do literally anything to get the items they want.

Would I be able to read the messages? XD
I’ll send it in just a sec. I’ll probably go to sleep after cause it’s 1am for me

Oh no. I’m so sorry that happened to you. Scamming and stealing from others is not cool regardless of the reason. And honestly their reasoning stinks. If they didn’t like the price either negotiate or look elsewhere :/

Thank you for making this thread though. I’m fairly new to online interactions with animal crossing, even though I’ve been playing since GC game, and very trusting of people in general. So it’s good to know to be cautious of who to let in and what exactly to watch out for.

Oh no. I’m so sorry that happened to you. Scamming and stealing from others is not cool regardless of the reason. And honestly their reasoning stinks. If they didn’t like the price either negotiate or look elsewhere :/

Thank you for making this thread though. I’m fairly new to online interactions with animal crossing, even though I’ve been playing since GC game, and very trusting of people in general. So it’s good to know to be cautious of who to let in and what exactly to watch out for.

glad I could help! I preciously had someone else do something similar, but their intentions were legitimate so that’s why I wasn’t suspicious at first. I guess the bottom line is to not be afraid to dc

I would be curious to see the transcript as well 👀

I've yet to be personally scammed, but with the sheer amount of scammers there are, I find it so hard to agree to anyone for anything on discord. I don't even use the main ANCH server anymore. I always try to avoid people coming to my island, but I understand that if everyone did that, there'd be no more trading. I'm sorry you had to deal with such an awful person. This game combined with shelter-in-place orders really seems to have brought out the absolute worst in people.

I think I saw another thread where this 'bring a friend' scam also happened. The OP of that thread caught on pretty quick though, so they didn't end up losing anything.

It's pretty disappointing to see this behaviour in the AC community, but I suppose it comes with the territory with how successful ACNH has been. That's why I only trade here on the forum, because at least there's a feedback system. I find Discord and Reddit don't have enough moderation to keep scamming to a minimum.

Back