• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

New Leaf vs. New Horizons?

angelcrossie

angel crossing
Bells
Tasty Cake
I'm sure this conversation has been brought up dozens of times in the past but I'm really curious to see other points of view. How do you personally compare New Leaf to New Horizons? Not just which game do you like more, but which game has more significance to you? Are they both equally significant but for different reasons? Which do you gain more happiness or satisfaction from playing? Which game did you pick up first?
If you have anything at all to add, please feel free to rant or talk all you want.
I actually wrote a small essay-ish document about the topic and how I just love NL more than NH. If you wanna read it, here's the link.

I admire your dedication! I agree with you even though I don't have the motivation to write an essay about it haha. But yes, New Leaf holds a lot of nostalgia and emotional significance for me, it represents a time in my life that I've left far behind. Beyond that, I agree that it's a more charming and more enjoyable game than New Horizons. I would say that New Horizons is weaker in terms of content, but stronger in terms of polish, creativity levels and QOL changes. If I had to choose only one, I would easily choose New Leaf.

That was a well-written essay. I agree with you, as well.

I've already talked about this in a few other topics, but I'm always happy to rant about it! I'm on Team New Leaf all the way; I love that game so much! I bought it the month that it came out, and I quickly became obsessed. I played it for years. I recently picked it up again several months ago, and I've been playing practically every day since. I have a lot of happy memories of my first town... birthdays and holidays celebrated. But now it's even better because now I'm playing with my SO, which makes it even more special! We work on the town together, deciding where to put things, sharing flowers, and I even made a little version of him to live in the town with me.

While I think that it's unreasonable to not let you pick things like skin color or hair at character creation, I actually really approve of the wait times that come with things like shop upgrades, public works projects, etc. Things take time, and because of that, not only do you feel like you've really earned whatever you've managed to achieve, but it almost always makes the prospect of a new day exciting. What NPC will be in town today? Who might be in the campsite? I can't wait to see the new PWP in place! I can't wait to see what new hybrids have spawned. Who's RV will be at the campground, and what items will Harvey be selling? What will be for sale at the Nook Emporium? What new dialogue will I see from my villagers? Every day when I wake up, booting up my game is an exciting prospect... and when I go to sleep, I do so looking forward to tomorrow.

As for New Horizons... that's a totally different story. I was caught up in the hype for New Horizons, and I also bought it close to release date. As time went on, my opinion of it quickly soured, until I ended up returning it after only a few weeks of play. The heart just wasn't there for me; something just wasn't right. If I had to quickly list of a few reasons for my distaste for NH, it would be the following:

1. You touched on this a bit in your essay, but it feels to me kind of... manipulative? Like the designers knew that people were instagramming/tweeting their perfect towns in NL, and so they made the next game specifically for showing off picture perfect towns on social media. Rather than being a life sim with some design aspects and customization, it's a game based almost entirely on landscape architecture, with the intended goal seemingly being to create the best picture perfect snapshots to show off on instagram or whatever. Even the player character model is made to look even more cutesy than ever before. As somebody who doesn't particularly care for social media, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2. I tried to go into the game with an open mind regarding crafting, but I just don't feel like it's a good fit for Animal Crossing. Tools breaking makes the game unfun to me. I've heard that even gold tools break, and that just seems insane to me. I can't imagine having a town filled with flowers, as my watering can was breaking while working with only a small handful. And this is also subjective, but I would always rather receive a piece of furniture as a reward for an event rather than a DIY. The crafting wouldn't be as bad if it didn't almost completely supplant store-bought items, but that isn't the case as...

3. They decided to cut lots and lots of furniture that made for so many diverse and interesting indoor designs. And what baffles me is that it wasn't even necessary. Why not let you craft rococo furniture with 'fancy' wood or something like that? It feels like a lot of the old furniture that could have easily been made craftable was just sacrificed for no reason other than to force 'new' furniture on the player to accommodate for a crafting mechanic that nobody asked for... at least, I never asked for it. For the short time of my playing, I spent every day eagerly going to Nook's and finding the same handful of furniture (none of which were stuff I wanted for my house)... and finding DIYs for boring, samey wooden furniture that looked pretty bleh. I already had three rooms in my house, and I had almost nothing to furnish them with. In comparison, in NL, I have so many items I'd love to use in a room, and not enough rooms! But even if they went ahead and added all my favorite old furniture sets and pieces from NL, it still wouldn't matter because...

4. The villagers are lobotomized shells of their former selves. I've mentioned this in another topic, but I couldn't believe how much they butchered the lazy personality. Beau was my first lazy move-in, and the lazy dialogue left such a bad taste in my mouth that I actually sort of dislike Beau as a character, now. This ties in with #1 from above, but whenever I see pictures of NH that include villagers, I can't see them as anything other than photo-op set-pieces. The designers heard all the people from NL who didn't ever talk to their villagers or do tasks for them at the risk of 'ruining' them, so decided that people only really cared about their villagers as cute-looking set pieces. A lot of their houses got wrecked in the transition from NL to NH as well, due to the lack of furniture and other bizarre design decisions (some villagers homes were designed as though they were real-life animals, others were randomly given completely baffling non-homes like trash dumps and parking lots to live in out of nowhere...)

5. Drip-feeding updates little by little is a practice that I greatly dislike and seems even more manipulative. NL was a finished game at the start, and the Welcome Amiibo update was the icing on the already gorgeous cake.

6. There were little things I just didn't like about the game. Flowers look more washed-out rather than the candy-bright, beautiful flowers in NL. I hated that you couldn't just pick up a flower without leaving stems behind. I was baffled that in an island game, they left out Kapp'n. I was shocked that perfect fruit was removed, for apparently no reason. I could not stand the awful tutorial music. The randomly generated islands almost always having the exact same flora and fauna as my own island made island hopping get old real fast for me. I didn't like the way the villagers were textured; they look like plush animals, to me. I missed stationary and the pelican trio. I didn’t like the cell phone, or nook miles.

So, at the end of the day, the little QOL improvements that NH brought to the table just weren't enough. I would be lying if I said that I had no interest at all in terraforming (which I never got to)... but at the end of the day, what was the point if I couldn't enjoy day-to-day life with my favorite villagers anymore?

Thank you for reading this rant, if you made it this far.

Last edited:

I've already talked about this in a few other topics, but I'm always happy to rant about it! I'm on Team New Leaf all the way; I love that game so much! I bought it the month that it came out, and I quickly became obsessed. I played it for years. I recently picked it up again several months ago, and I've been playing practically every day since. I have a lot of happy memories of my first town... birthdays and holidays celebrated. But now it's even better because now I'm playing with my SO, which makes it even more special! We work on the town together, deciding where to put things, sharing flowers, and I even made a little version of him to live in the town with me.

While I think that it's unreasonable to not let you pick things like skin color or hair at character creation, I actually really approve of the wait times that come with things like shop upgrades, public works projects, etc. Things take time, and because of that, not only do you feel like you've really earned whatever you've managed to achieve, but it almost always makes the prospect of a new day exciting. What NPC will be in town today? Who might be in the campsite? I can't wait to see the new PWP in place! I can't wait to see what new hybrids have spawned. Who's RV will be at the campground, and what items will Harvey be selling? What will be for sale at the Nook Emporium? What new dialogue will I see from my villagers? Every day when I wake up, booting up my game is an exciting prospect... and when I go to sleep, I do so looking forward to tomorrow.

As for New Horizons... that's a totally different story. I was caught up in the hype for New Horizons, and I also bought it close to release date. As time went on, my opinion of it quickly soured, until I ended up returning it after only a few weeks of play. The heart just wasn't there for me; something just wasn't right. If I had to quickly list of a few reasons for my distaste for NH, it would be the following:

1. You touched on this a bit in your essay, but it feels to me kind of... manipulative? Like the designers knew that people were instagramming/tweeting their perfect towns in NL, and so they made the next game specifically for showing off picture perfect towns on social media. Rather than being a life sim with some design aspects and customization, it's a game based almost entirely on landscape architecture, with the intended goal seemingly being to create the best picture perfect snapshots to show off on instagram or whatever. Even the player character model is made to look even more cutesy than ever before. As somebody who doesn't particularly care for social media, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2. I tried to go into the game with an open mind regarding crafting, but I just don't feel like it's a good fit for Animal Crossing. Tools breaking makes the game unfun to me. I've heard that even gold tools break, and that just seems insane to me. I can't imagine having a town filled with flowers, as my watering can was breaking while working with only a small handful. And this is also subjective, but I would always rather receive a piece of furniture as a reward for an event rather than a DIY. The crafting wouldn't be as bad if it didn't almost completely supplant store-bought items, but that isn't the case as...

3. They decided to cut lots and lots of furniture that made for so many diverse and interesting indoor designs. And what baffles me is that it wasn't even necessary. Why not let you craft rococo furniture with 'fancy' wood or something like that? It feels like a lot of the old furniture that could have easily been made craftable was just sacrificed for no reason other than to force 'new' furniture on the player to accommodate for a crafting mechanic that nobody asked for... at least, I never asked for it. For the short time of my playing, I spent every day eagerly going to Nook's and finding the same handful of furniture (none of which were stuff I wanted for my house)... and finding DIYs for boring, samey wooden furniture that looked pretty bleh. I already had three rooms in my house, and I had almost nothing to furnish them with. In comparison, in NL, I have so many items I'd love to use in a room, and not enough rooms! But even if they went ahead and added all my favorite old furniture sets and pieces from NL, it still wouldn't matter because...

4. The villagers are lobotomized shells of their former selves. I've mentioned this in another topic, but I couldn't believe how much they butchered the lazy personality. Beau was my first lazy move-in, and the lazy dialogue left such a bad taste in my mouth that I actually sort of dislike Beau as a character, now. This ties in with #1 from above, but whenever I see pictures of NH that include villagers, I can't see them as anything other than photo-op set-pieces. The designers heard all the people from NL who didn't ever talk to their villagers or do tasks for them at the risk of 'ruining' them, so decided that people only really cared about their villagers as cute-looking set pieces. A lot of their houses got wrecked in the transition from NL to NH as well, due to the lack of furniture and other bizarre design decisions (some villagers homes were designed as though they were real-life animals, others were randomly given completely baffling non-homes like trash dumps and parking lots to live in out of nowhere...)

5. Drip-feeding updates little by little is a practice that I greatly dislike and seems even more manipulative. NL was a finished game at the start, and the Welcome Amiibo update was the icing on the already gorgeous cake.

6. There were little things I just didn't like about the game. Flowers look more washed-out rather than the candy-bright, beautiful flowers in NL. I hated that you couldn't just pick up a flower without leaving stems behind. I was baffled that in an island game, they left out Kapp'n. I was shocked that perfect fruit was removed, for apparently no reason. I could not stand the awful tutorial music. The randomly generated islands almost always having the exact same flora and fauna as my own island made island hopping get old real fast for me. I didn't like the way the villagers were textured; they look like plush animals, to me. I missed stationary and the pelican trio. I didn’t like the cell phone, or nook miles.

So, at the end of the day, the little QOL improvements that NH brought to the table just weren't enough. I would be lying if I said that I had no interest at all in terraforming (which I never got to)... but at the end of the day, what was the point if I couldn't enjoy day-to-day life with my favorite villagers anymore?

This was a really good insight, and I'm glad you posted this because I found some listed points I didn't even know that I agreed with. As someone who's also picked up NL after being away from it for sometime, I can relate the feeling of returning to your old town as a nostalgic comfort, something I'm afraid NH will never be able to recreate.

Thank you for your post!!
Post automatically merged:

I admire your dedication! I agree with you even though I don't have the motivation to write an essay about it haha. But yes, New Leaf holds a lot of nostalgia and emotional significance for me, it represents a time in my life that I've left far behind. Beyond that, I agree that it's a more charming and more enjoyable game than New Horizons. I would say that New Horizons is weaker in terms of content, but stronger in terms of polish, creativity levels and QOL changes. If I had to choose only one, I would easily choose New Leaf.

Haha, no motivation was needed, just 3 am animal crossing brainrot was enough to propel me to write that. And thank you for your insight - I definitely agree that NH is a good game, but not a replacement for NL by any means.

New Horizons for me I’m afraid
I loved your essay and it was really well written!
However I don’t feel like I can go back to New Leaf. I just booted up my game, I have nothing left to do, my house is complete and so is museum, so I started talking to my villagers and... Nothing :/ I’ve had that town since launch and I still got tutorial dialogue from Molly and the same line 4 times from Deirdre. It’s not just me either, if you look up Chuggaconroy’s let’s play he’s realy good at making up funny storylines with dialogue but even he gets stuck with ‘stop giving me tutorials’ and ‘you said that already’

New Horizons’ dialogue might be ‘layered’ so you need to get passed small talk, but it’s a lot better.
If I really want the community feeling I go back to wild world :)

I do miss brewster, I think some minigames would be nice. I’d like house visits and getting villagers fruit to be back, maybe Katrina and Gracie, but I don’t think the game is missing much more than that

For me, I prefer New Horizons. Don't get me wrong - I still love New Leaf too though (...Lets be real though, if I could find and play it, I'd still be playing City Folk and Wild World, too though.) For me, it's not really about one being better than the other. I just think the games are so different in what I do when I play them that it's really hard for me to pick which one I love more. So I guess I love them both for different reasons. I think it's okay to like one more than the other though. And yeah, there are things about NH that I wish were more like NL and things from NL that I miss, but over all yeah. I do believe I love NH just a tiny bit more.

I do hope nintendo hears the players though and makes some changes. I'd love to see everyone happy with NH.

I played new leaf during a very rough time in my life where I barely had any friends, so it has a lot of significance to me and is incredibly nostalgic. I think I'm on my fourth town now (as I tend to reset when coming back from long breaks from the game), and I still absolutely love it. New horizons definitely helped me get through quarantine, so I will always appreciate it for that reason, but there's just so many things that make it less enjoyable to play for me (tools breaking, the fact that you can't customize shop furniture/find new fruits to force you to trade with others, the lack of furniture sets from new leaf, only having two stores, no minigames, no easy way to make money that isn't turnips, less depth in villager interactions etc.). Maybe someday I will go back to new horizons if there's a LOT of content added through updates, but right now I'm enjoying new leaf so much more than I did new horizons, mostly because there's just so much more to do in it.

I'm going to keep my post short, but I do love NL. I'm still enjoying NH, don't get me wrong, but I think I do have too many good memories with NL. I also really miss the small details, the charm, the cosy town feel, and some of the art style, like the shiny grass and the way the roses, tulips, pansies, cedar trees, and bamboo trees looked.

I've started a new town recently, and man, the music is chef's kiss. It's enough to keep me playing alone. 7 years of the same songs and I'm still not sick of them, but 7 months of the NH songs and I'd rather mute the game.

i'm not sure tbh

i played NL on my sister's ds when it released but i didn't get my own copy til a year later
i really enjoyed it though because:
- it's the first ac game u can go swimming, which was a super fun new feature
- it has the best villagers, like wolf link & sanrio etc
- there's better furniture and clothes
- better music, hourly and shop themes

then i played NH at release on my own console and like:
- it has better graphics
- amazing new characters but i miss the removed ones
- pretty bad music
- not many features
- it's the first ac game with crafting, which is cool
- u can decorate outside, which i really enjoy

so i could say NL is the better game but i don't play it and if i do, i don't play long whereas i can play NH for hours but it's missing so much, it's literally a rushed game

i think the reason i play NH more is because of decorating
my island is completely covered in furniture, paths and many houses because it's easier to decorate
but i have billions of bells on NL and my island still looks exacty the same as when i started because i'm not sure how to decorate without wasting all the design slots on paths

idk, NL is a better game but i prefer to play NH

My answer will be New Horizons but I relate to what Jam86 says.

My first game has been New Leaf. That's where I fell in love with the game, the mechanics, all the stuff you could do, and the characters.
However the first game I happened to witness the hype for, and play on release day has been NH. And like many people, that game has helped me through the different lockdowns, especially the first one we got here.
Now, I've done almost everything in NL and sadly decided once to hack my console so all the fun is gone for me in that game, but I don't forget all the good memories. I've learnt from that mistake and decided that wanting an item I'm struggling to get and looking for people able to get it for me is wayyyy more enjoyable than having anything you want on demand.

I don't know if that last part is allowed, if not I'll gladly remove it from my message.

Like I said before, I play them both for different reasons. I feel like ACNH isn't just the decorating sim people say it is, but I understand why some people feel that way (I also love NH's music x.x so maybe i'm a minority?) I think there is nothing wrong with playing and enjoying both games, or preferring one over the other. In the end, I feel like AC is a beautiful game and community regardless of the game you play.

In terms of significance, New Leaf definitely has more sentimental value. It was my first entry into the Animal Crossing series and I started playing it my first year of high school, when I'd moved to a brand new city. I was definitely really lonely and felt a bit lost and found a lot of comfort in New Leaf. The community has always been really lovely, regardless of the platform I was using, and the game itself was just so cozy. Getting to say hello to my villagers every day, slowly building up a town the way I wanted it, and (for the most part) playing a game that didn't really have any consequences was really, really nice.

There are definitely some issues with New Leaf, I'm not going to pretend there isn't. New Horizons made a big and necessary change when they allowed people to customize their characters skin tones and introduced new hairstyles. I also appreciate that we can change our gender easily if we wanted and that we have access to hairstyles, eye shapes, noses, mouths, etc right at our fingertips via the mirror as opposed to waiting for a daily Shampoodle visit and still not being able to change certain things. I'll never understand why they couldn't have at least added skin tones into the Welcome Amiibo update, since we saw it in Happy Home Designer.

As a whole though, New Leaf has a special place in my heart and I do really love it. I wish that I could smash rocks like in New Horizons, easily pick up & plant trees, have a bigger pocket storage, and a couple other QoL updates but it's nothing game breaking. I still find New Leaf to be a really cozy game. The music, the graphics (New Horizons is definitely more polished but I think New Leaf is still charming!), the simpler gameplay, it's all really enjoyable. In New Leaf I also appreciate that I can play the game 100% solo if I really want to - I can't even do that in Wild World, since I need a visitor before I unlock the final shop upgrade I think? Which is really important to me because Nintendo will ultimately stop supporting the 3DS.

With New Horizons, so much of the game is online dependent and it's frustrating and definitely takes away from my enjoyment. Even if online playing was free (which it's not) it's still frustrating that they've opted to lock so many features? I can't get all the fruit types without trading, I can't get all the different colour variants of furniture, and maybe this is just me being petty but I feel like part of why the game has such a crummy RNG system is to promote trading. "Oh, your Able's still hasn't carried the cute sunflower dress? Just trade with friends!" Which, yeah, I could do that but I've also been playing this game since launch and it's frustrating it still hasn't shown up in my store.

I can appreciate that they were trying to do something new with New Horizons. I didn't want a "New Leaf: Newer... Leafs!" game. I'm fine with the premise being different! I just wish they implemented things better. Yes, by all means have crafting! But it shouldn't be forced. I don't like feeling like I need to craft items because they've decided to make my tools break. Or that they can leave out more than half the furniture sets because they've introduced some (incomplete) craftable sets. Finding DIYs should be a fun bonus, not something people refer to as "DIY Hunting" because it's such a pain to try and find the DIYs you need.

With New Leaf I definitely have my frustrations but they don't feel as... purposeful? Like. I don't think the developers added in unbreakable rocks or scattered in ponds with the express purpose of ruining my town layout, lol. The grass degrading is ugly but I don't think it's intentional and it's not game breaking. With New Horizons it feels like they've purposefully done things to promote their (now paid) online service, if that makes sense.

I compare them based on which game I’d prefer to play, which game I get most enjoyment from, how many hours I can pour into each game before I get bored and how satisfied I feel after playing each game.

For me New Leaf wins hands down every single time.

I feel like New Leaf is a better game overall in terms of content but Horizons has far better quality of life changes. Also I think the missing content from Horizons is being patched in/updated over time. When Horizons gets somewhat close content wise as New Leaf, it will overtake New Leaf as the better game.

I love both, but for entirely different reasons. With New Leaf, I love how much there is to do in the game and the absolute variety there is when it comes to furniture. The villagers weren't as bland and while there isn't as much customization options what is there is so complete that you don't really feel like you're missing out. Also some of my favorite villagers only appear(so far) in New leaf. I love the HK furniture, and while I know there's a chance it can/will appear in NH I'm not really holding out for it. Also Etoile. 😍 The one thing I wish NL had included was the ability to customize your skin tone but even without it, I still very much love the game.

With New Horizons, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy playing it. I love building, decorating, and remodeling. Even though the content is pretty barebones with respect to New Leaf, what New Horizons does have it does very well. Visually, the game is gorgeous, and seeing the furniture and other items and elements really pop on the screen is always cool.

I do think NH needs more content, especially for players who aren't really into the whole designing thing. But once I stopped comparing NL to NH it was easy to love them both.

i said it before NH came out and ill say it again, NL will forever remain my fav AC game, it holds a special place in my heart and something about it sways me with nostalgia and happy thoughts every time I think about it. it just differs from the other games in a sense where it’s more fun, addictive, and memorable. i still love the other games including NH, but NL is still my fav <3

You PERFECTLY distilled every single issue I have with this game. Social media and online completely ruined the villagers because its so ridiculously obvious that nintendo WANTS you to be online, and if you're playing offline you're MISSING SOMETHING. It's so lame. The series used to be about being the only human in a town full of complex personalities and relationships, and now its just another online game. RIP interesting interactions

Back