• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

[NA & EU] If you can't change your SSID, use a Smartphone to get BESTBUY items.

What's even more convenient is that when the next gift is released then we can just simply turn the hotspot on and receive the next one as well!

I can't seem to get this to work for some reason. Maybe because I'm in Ireland and not the UK?

Too bad I don't have a phone, nor am I able to change my SSID because of router problems.

--BUMP--

EU People, we all get the Afternoon Tea Set next week.

This thread show's you how you get Nintendo Zone items if you're not sure.

By all means trade with NA players if you want it early but thought you'd want to be reminded :)

oh.... my.... god... i really hope this works. thank you thank you!! :D

Is Personal Hotspot just for sharing your 3g/mobile internet or does it share your routers wifi as well?

At the moment I'm using an app from Cydia called PdaNet to share my wi-fi from my router to my 3DS under "_The Cloud". Saves using your mobile data.

Last edited:
"Personal Hotspot" is greyed out in my iPhones settings but that might be because of my provider or something.

I had to download an app from Cydia called PdaNet to be able to do this, but it does the same thing :)

Which provider are you with?

I've heard it's a problem with iOS 4 and below... but not iOS 5.0.1 onwards...

Last edited:
How come? You can do it with any smart phone or router.
IMG_0782.jpgIMG_0783.jpg

Vodafone, I think I just misunderstood what Personal Hotspots did (I had mobile data turned off lol, I got it to work but I'll stick to PdaNet to save mobile data)

Is Personal Hotspot just for sharing your 3g/mobile internet or does it share your routers wifi as well?.

Personal Hotspot just uses your phones data/internet by connecting to the GPRS/Edge or 3G/4G network.
The better the network/signal the better the internet connection :)

You don't even need a router to do this.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeh, it's just an account issue.
You just have to enable it (and of course make sure you have data as part of your contract.)

Last edited:

ooh. maybe thats why. my dad has an iphone 5 but i dont think he'd let me piss about with his settings...

Vodafone, I think I just misunderstood what Personal Hotspots did (I had mobile data turned off lol, I got it to work but I'll stick to PdaNet to save mobile data)

Ohhh, I see.
Yeh, I'm with Vodafone and Mobile Data needs to be turned on first and you must be sure that you have data as part of your contract. (Most contracts do these days. I get 2GB a month with is more than enough).

- - - Post Merge - - -

ooh. maybe thats why. my dad has an iphone 5 but i dont think he'd let me piss about with his settings...

iPhone 5's run iOS 5.0+

Check if your mobile data isn't turned.
If it won't let you, ring them up and ask them to enable it on your account/contract.
(and as I've already said, make sure the data charges are covered by your contract. I get 2GB data a month which is move than enough.)

Last edited:
I'm guessing this sort of thing doesnt work on pay as you go iphones. I have a pay as you go O2 iphone 5, but if it would work on it, it'd be helpful.

Could anyone help me?
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 2 Mini and I cannot figure how to change my device name!. I found the hotspot settings xD

I'm guessing this sort of thing doesnt work on pay as you go iphones. I have a pay as you go O2 iphone 5, but if it would work on it, it'd be helpful.

I would of thought it would work fine. But you'll obviously be charged for data usage. It takes about 100kB to download an item.
With mostly monthly contracts, you get a data allowance free of charge.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Could anyone help me?
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 2 Mini and I cannot figure how to change my device name!. I found the hotspot settings xD

I believe someone on this thread did their galaxy.
It might be in Hotspot settings (name of connection) or phones name in other settings but i've never had a galaxy so I can't be sure personally.

Back