• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Mario Kart 8 Official General Discussion

Mario Kart will never die for me. I just tend to take long breaks from it for some other games. I think this game could have been way better though if they had the old balloon battle gameplay. I would be playing that all the time compared to the new one which I hardly touch.

I never enjoyed battle mode in any of the games so i do not mind it at all hahah!

Last edited:
DS had the best Balloon Battle gameplay IMO. You just had to be the last player standing, and it didn't matter how many points you got (because they're never counted). It was tons of fun.

MK8's Balloon Battle is awful though. I'm always wondering where on Earth the others are because the maps are far too big. Also I don't like how they used tracks from the other modes in it at all.

DS had the best Balloon Battle gameplay IMO. You just had to be the last player standing, and it didn't matter how many points you got (because they're never counted). It was tons of fun.

MK8's Balloon Battle is awful though. I'm always wondering where on Earth the others are because the maps are far too big. Also I don't like how they used tracks from the other modes in it at all.

It can be pretty fun if you set the course to moo moo farm with bob-ombs only.

n64 had the best battle mode, especially the skyscraper and platform maps.

I'd like to play with someone if anyones playing.

But add me instead of me adding you, add me please ( I have a parent that gets mad when I add wnyone/ show my friendlist (but I can play rated M games like GTA, i don't even knmow))

MK Wii had the best battle mode mechanics, DS and Double Dash had the best maps imo.

I hate everything in Mario Kart Wii, it is the worst Mario Kart in my opinion. I mean even the graphics are awful...

Many hates... much criticisms... wow...
Seriously, how are the graphics awful on MKWii? They were one of the best on the Wii at the time, which wasn't even that long ago.

- - - Post Merge - - -

btw, anyone want to race in bit? I haven't raced much since the game first came out, since I was occupied by lots of other games. I'd like to get back into it!

Seriously, how are the graphics awful on MKWii? They were one of the best on the Wii at the time, which wasn't even that long ago.

Aren't the graphical art style from Mario Kart Wii a bit similar to Double Dash? I wouldn't complain about that, given the inherently paltry limitations of the system. The Wii didn't had much of a graphical leap aside of being technically slightly better than GameCube. Heck, some could even describe the Wii as if it was two GameCube systems duct-taped into one.

I'm surprised on how technical Mario Kart Wii actually is when you see the experts playing the game, despite the bikes being heavily relied on and the lack of the infamous snaking technique. It's among the reasons why the game still has a lot more replayability than any other Mario Kart game to date, even if the official online services are down since last year.

Aren't the graphical art style from Mario Kart Wii a bit similar to Double Dash? I wouldn't complain about that, given the inherently paltry limitations of the system. The Wii didn't had much of a graphical leap aside of being technically slightly better than GameCube. Heck, some could even describe the Wii as if it was two GameCube systems duct-taped into one.

I'm surprised on how technical Mario Kart Wii actually is when you see the experts playing the game, despite the bikes being heavily relied on and the lack of the infamous snaking technique. It's among the reasons why the game still has a lot more replayability than any other Mario Kart game to date, even if the official online services are down since last year.

Yeah, there really wasn't much of an improvement between GCN and Wii for sure. Plus, Nintendo is always focused more on the actual gameplay than the graphics anyway. When you look at MKWii and MK8 side by side... wow, you can definitely see the improvements :)

I totally agree! I was one of those experts of MKWii you speak of and I definitely realized that it has a bigger learning curve to get to an expert level than most of the other installments in the series. I think MK8 is the most balanced of the games though, making it fair to everyone (mostly through the new item system) which is both good and bad. Ughhh, but the snaking from both MKDS and MK8... I can't stand it :'(

Last edited:

Well Super Mario Galaxy was much better in my opinion. Also Mario Kart Wii was not even balanced well so another reason to dislike it. I don't hate the game but it is the worst in the series. Mario Kart 64 is a close second though (again just my opinion lol)

Well Super Mario Galaxy was much better in my opinion. Also Mario Kart Wii was not even balanced well so another reason to dislike it. I don't hate the game but it is the worst in the series. Mario Kart 64 is a close second though (again just my opinion lol)

I agree, Super Mario Galaxy took the #1 spot for best graphics on the Wii. Well, everyone does have their own opinion and I respect that. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as the others :( I think it had the best Wi-Fi community on the Wii and also better than MK8s Wi-Fi community to this day.

I agree, Super Mario Galaxy took the #1 spot for best graphics on the Wii. Well, everyone does have their own opinion and I respect that. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as the others :( I think it had the best Wi-Fi community on the Wii and also better than MK8s Wi-Fi community to this day.

True, i never got too many errors in Mario Kart Wii's online mode. It was very solid! By the way, don't get me wrong, i did enjoy it and it is no bad game by any means but i liked all the other installments better.

Last edited:
True, i never got too many errors in Mario Kart Wii's online mode. It was very solid! By the way, don't get me wrong, i did enjoy it and it is no bad game by any means but i liked all the other installments better.

Yup, the service sure was great! I miss it sometimes... Oh, my bad, I thought you didn't like it all. lol
Ahhh all this talk of Mario Kart makes me wanna race! I have some work to do though... If you or anyone else would want to race with me in maybe 3-4 hours, I'll be online then.

Idk man super circuit was pretty hot garbage hahaha.

But yeah I'm down to race today.

Back