• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Let's talk about astraphobia!

I love the rain and lightening. I don't mind thunder really, but it can definitely take you off guard so I can see why you'd be afraid.

My mother would always take us outside when there was thunderstorms and we'd just watch them go by so that's probably why I'm not afraid. :3

Most people are afraid of something..

I love the rain and lightening. I don't mind thunder really, but it can definitely take you off guard so I can see why you'd be afraid.

My mother would always take us outside when there was thunderstorms and we'd just watch them go by so that's probably why I'm not afraid. :3

Most people are afraid of something..

To wildly varying degrees, ha ha.

When I was younger, thunderstorms bothered me because I couldn't sleep through them, no matter the severity. I am a fairly light sleeper.

At this age, I absolutely love them! I look for places to huddle up outside, they're an amazing spectacle out here. I do get anxious when they get really close, because lightning tends to seek the tallest ground, and currently we're living on top of a hill. So all it takes is a well placed strike to bring a tree down on top of us. One time lightning hit a tree near me, it was a horrific, deafening crack, and every thing lit up fiery orange. All the was left of the tree was a splintered trunk. Eesh.

Oh that sounds horrible. My younger brother gets scared when there's lightning and thunder (especially when there's blackouts) but he just tries to stay around other people. So if there's a black out he'll often follow people around and what not.

I have a fear of heights and like yourself have no clue what caused it. One of my earliest memories is waiting at the bottom of a Ferris wheel while my parents and siblings rode it. I was once forced to climb several stairs for a ride at a water park and broke down in tears then ended up walking down the stairs to the bottom by myself. My brothers used to make fun of me for my fear and would often ask my parents why they bring me along to theme parks etc because I rarely go on any rides. I honestly wish I didn't have this fear but I doubt I'll ever break out of it.

You should definitely be proud of yourself for dealing with those situations a lot better now! I simply straight up refuse to do anything that involves heights. Sometimes my parents do try and force me to do certain things but I think that's because they don't want me to miss out on too many great opportunities.

My younger brother is the same. Sometimes he'll sleep with me, because he gets so scared.

My younger brother is the same. Sometimes he'll sleep with me, because he gets so scared.

Sometimes I'd wake up to find my sister asleep at the foot of my bed or on my floor. She didn't like sleeping alone, and was a bit afraid of her closet when she was tiny. Definitely not anymore.

I'm afraid to a degree, but not necessarily from the sound of a thunderstorm alone, I've just always experienced severe ones in my area that always result in damage or power outages, so I'm afraid of the severity, it's not necessarily a phobia for me. But with power outages comes the dark, and that IS a phobia of mine.

I don't have a phobia of the dark, I just dislike it, so as a result I still sleep with fairy lights wrapped around my bed :rolleyes:

Well...to me, I like the rain, thunder and lightning. Especially when I'm sleeping and I hear the heavy rain and rumbling of the thunder, for some reason :/

I feel trypophobia is much worse for me though

I've been afraid of lightning and thunder for almost as long as I can remember.

I'm not afraid of lightning or thunder...
It's just the wind that terrifies me.

My biggest fear is tornadoes, so whenever a storm rolls around with large winds...
Yeah, I flip my tables.
I've had this fear ever since I became interested in the weather/ecology.

I feel you. People laugh at me for my globophobia (fear of balloons.) It's not just the popping, it's the sight of them. Being near them, people rubbing on them. I can't stand them. I go insane and get all antsy when I see one.

I also have catapedaphobia, which is the fear of jumping from high or low places. I can't do diving boards, or anything that involves me jumping off a ledge. I have to have one foot on the ground at all times, even when coming down from a curb.

I feel you. People laugh at me for my globophobia (fear of balloons.) It's not just the popping, it's the sight of them. Being near them, people rubbing on them. I can't stand them. I go insane and get all antsy when I see one.

I also have catapedaphobia, which is the fear of jumping from high or low places. I can't do diving boards, or anything that involves me jumping off a ledge. I have to have one foot on the ground at all times, even when coming down from a curb.

Ohh I have a friend who fear of balloon too! It all started back when her cousin molested her and often pop balloon right on her face when she was young so she kind of traumatize (which remind her of all the terrible past). I was also laughed for my Ornithophobia(fear of birds).

Also, I used to bully my little brother by scaring him with fluffy plushie cause he will show the extreme scare face!! I laughed back then when I found out his fear, but now I feel sad and bad when I see him got scare by those feathery fluffy toys and plushie.

Back