• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

League of Legends

Have you played DotA before?

• Total voters
I just started playing LoL this week. I'm fairly new to RTS games in general so I'm still getting a feel for it, but I'm liking the vibe quite a bit thus far.

My summoner name is Voulge Viola if anyone would like to add me. :)

I can add you but if you're new it might be hard with the people I get matched up with.. We could always just do AI games. Sometimes I get platinums and diamonds. >_<

I'll add you, I'm Nelaime :D

Last edited:
Why does it matter who I prefer to play with? It's not because of playstyle, and it's my league life and not yours, so why does it matter to you?

I think Riptide is just desperate for a peasant gril to play with :)

Last edited:
Ugh. Been trying Dota 2. It's so ridiculously hard. And the items/champs are broken af. Ex: tf's ult is basically another champs ability on a 20 second cdr. Flash is a 2150 gold item that has a way larger range and a 12 second cd. Dota2s baron (Roshan) drops a free ga that revives you to full hp and mana. Complete bs

I wish she wasn't running so much.. she can easily fight. But Rengar like mauled Draven and that was funny

Ugh. Been trying Dota 2. It's so ridiculously hard. And the items/champs are broken af. Ex: tf's ult is basically another champs ability on a 20 second cdr. Flash is a 2150 gold item that has a way larger range and a 12 second cd. Dota2s baron (Roshan) drops a free ga that revives you to full hp and mana. Complete bs
Dota is balanced around the philosophy of keeping heroes' strengths whilst amplifying their weaknesses. Riot takes the homogenisation approach where no champion really excels at anything, and all the top tier competitive picks are pocket knives, capable of doing pretty much anything reasonably well. You don't really counter champions like Lee Sin, Thresh, or Lucian, or think of some clever strategy to mitigate the impact of their strengths and exploit their weaknesses. You just try to out-pocket knife them. Theres no specific pick that will ruin Lee Sin, Thresh, or Lucian's day because all of the champions are too damn homogenised to do anything unique.

So yes, Dota is hard. Not having a get out of jail free card in the form of flash, long cc, high impact spells and long initiation ranges means that you will die very quickly if you are an inch out of position. Oh and you lose gold on death, so you really really don't want to die either.

Last edited:
Just because you are unable to think of a counterstrategy doesn't mean one does not exist. I find it hilarious you're talking about a lack of counter strategy while the rest of the informed LoL community is heavily emphasizing the ever-changing counter strategies. As I said the last time you decided to talk nonsense: no one cares how fancy you write your sentences if what you say is either meaningless or just straight up false. Take some time to research the LoL pro play instead of your thesaurus next time please.

I think Riptide is just desperate for a peasant gril to play with :)

lPIuA3l.gif

https://twitter.com/TSMReginald/status/491507665785204736

Riot's balancing team is taking the game in the wrong direction. :(

Trinkets are very useful because it helps lvl 1 be less volatile. The problem right now is that there are too little champions that are viable and all assassins are completely useless. The game was a lot more action packed to watch when assassins were strong, but they were completely over nerfed.
In the assassin meta, individual players would be able to impact the game much more.
Riot needs to find a balance between having standard mid laners and also having assassins be viable as well.
As a spectator, its really boring to watch competitive teams farm for 30 minutes and fight at baron/dragon.
As a gamer, its really sucks to do extremely well in my lane and crush... but then have 1 lesser skilled player impact the game more than me.
DFG was nerfed to 90 seconds, was this too OP? I don't get it.
edit: FYI I'm bias and my opinion is solely based on Mid lane, competitive play, solo q.

But carry with the TBT Alpha Male League player act, I'm sure you'll eventually impress Ahri enough for her to play with you ;)

Lol still doing the argue...

Should be said once again I probably play more LoL for reasons but I guess I balanced my playtime between the two now that I'm onto other games and stuff.

The problem here is LoL's core fundamentals are different from Dota's so they will never incorporate similar meta trends, and even if they had the same goal in mind, LoL going Dota mode still wouldn't happen without overhauling the entire game. You know why?
Scaling.
Scaling is the single biggest difference between LoL and Dota. It is the foundation of the glaring differences between the two games. It is why items in LoL are so much more stat-based than Dota, and lacking in actives. It is the basis of new champion kits being designed the way they are. It is the reason why item actives can never be as directly impactful as the ones available in Dota (can you imagine how preposterously gamebreaking a BKB (10 second magic immunity)- or Smoke (aoe invisibility for your team)- or Sheepstick (3.5 second polymorph) item would be in LoL?).
Items and build paths will always be geared towards attaining stats and finishing core builds. Items in LoL become more cost effective the more expensive they are, whereas the opposite is true in Dota. Early game items are bought minimally in LoL while they are far more common in Dota. In fact, even now there is plenty of discussion on the lack of viable midgame items, especially for ADCs, because even cost efficient items are not slot efficient since core builds are mostly completed by the time the average game ends and getting to that sweet stats heaven is much more important than getting a stopgap item that solves a temporary problem.
Pro scene champion diversity will also never come close to Dota's either, since Dota's balance is basically "the game is balanced by everything being OP" while LoL's is more "everything can have strengths and weaknesses but everyone needs to be around this set level of general strength". Thus, Dota is much more tactically-based, while LoL is much more mechanics-based. However, at the pro level, the margin of mechanical skill edge can only be so high (unless you're Faker), so top level play will always revolve around advantages from tactical play, which is less diverse because of LoL's game design. Think about it. In Dota, heroes are no-questions-asked absolutely dominant or completely useless in certain situations. Pro play is more about rotations and predictions and setting up ganks and working as a team than outplaying your opponents mechanically. When a gank goes down, the target is usually 90% dead and very little can be done about it. The skill comes not in escaping the situation once you're in it but in predicting and avoiding being caught in the predicament in the first place. The strengths and weaknesses of heroes are much more glaring than LoL and every hero is basically niche. Compare this with LoL and how Riot wants pretty much all champions to have a chance against even their hardest of counters. The exact fundamentals that make LoL more fun and accessible and popular cause professional play to suffer, while on the flipside, Dota is considerably harder to learn and with a much higher "burden of knowledge" (which can be less fun when you're on the wrong side of it) but has an incredible pro scene.
It's simply the way LoL is designed. This is why LoL is so hard to balance and changes are so hard to bring in line the way Riot intends. And it's why the game will keep experiencing the 30 champion pool it has had for the past year and a half.

The problem here is LoL's core fundamentals are different from Dota's so they will never incorporate similar meta trends, and even if they had the same goal in mind, LoL going Dota mode still wouldn't happen without overhauling the entire game. You know why?
Scaling.
Scaling is the single biggest difference between LoL and Dota. It is the foundation of the glaring differences between the two games. It is why items in LoL are so much more stat-based than Dota, and lacking in actives. It is the basis of new champion kits being designed the way they are. It is the reason why item actives can never be as directly impactful as the ones available in Dota (can you imagine how preposterously gamebreaking a BKB (10 second magic immunity)- or Smoke (aoe invisibility for your team)- or Sheepstick (3.5 second polymorph) item would be in LoL?).
Items and build paths will always be geared towards attaining stats and finishing core builds. Items in LoL become more cost effective the more expensive they are, whereas the opposite is true in Dota. Early game items are bought minimally in LoL while they are far more common in Dota. In fact, even now there is plenty of discussion on the lack of viable midgame items, especially for ADCs, because even cost efficient items are not slot efficient since core builds are mostly completed by the time the average game ends and getting to that sweet stats heaven is much more important than getting a stopgap item that solves a temporary problem.
Pro scene champion diversity will also never come close to Dota's either, since Dota's balance is basically "the game is balanced by everything being OP" while LoL's is more "everything can have strengths and weaknesses but everyone needs to be around this set level of general strength". Thus, Dota is much more tactically-based, while LoL is much more mechanics-based. However, at the pro level, the margin of mechanical skill edge can only be so high (unless you're Faker), so top level play will always revolve around advantages from tactical play, which is less diverse because of LoL's game design. Think about it. In Dota, heroes are no-questions-asked absolutely dominant or completely useless in certain situations. Pro play is more about rotations and predictions and setting up ganks and working as a team than outplaying your opponents mechanically. When a gank goes down, the target is usually 90% dead and very little can be done about it. The skill comes not in escaping the situation once you're in it but in predicting and avoiding being caught in the predicament in the first place. The strengths and weaknesses of heroes are much more glaring than LoL and every hero is basically niche. Compare this with LoL and how Riot wants pretty much all champions to have a chance against even their hardest of counters. The exact fundamentals that make LoL more fun and accessible and popular cause professional play to suffer, while on the flipside, Dota is considerably harder to learn and with a much higher "burden of knowledge" (which can be less fun when you're on the wrong side of it) but has an incredible pro scene.
It's simply the way LoL is designed. This is why LoL is so hard to balance and changes are so hard to bring in line the way Riot intends. And it's why the game will keep experiencing the 30 champion pool it has had for the past year and a half.

thanks so much! this actually gives me a clear distinction between the two. personally i find league more appealing because it's the only one of the two that will run on 2gbs of ram. :') i really want to try dota now

Scaling.

I tried to skim reading through this, but I ended up reading the whole thing.
I can't stand league's snowball champions.
At the end of the day, I really just like how the champs look :x

thanks so much! this actually gives me a clear distinction between the two. personally i find league more appealing because it's the only one of the two that will run on 2gbs of ram. :') i really want to try dota now
I'm pretty sure Dota 2 will run on 2gb of ram, have you ever tried it?

I tried to skim reading through this, but I ended up reading the whole thing.
I can't stand league's snowball champions.
At the end of the day, I really just like how the champs look :x
I think Riot has done a lot to curb snowball effects. I believe this LCS, only 60% of first bloods will result in a win for that team.

Back