• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Is your character tanned?

are they?

• yeah

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • no

Votes: 108 91.5%

• Total voters
Rover could ask what your ethnicity is. It's a pretty normal question to ask people of color, as long as you're polite and respectful.

Rover could ask what your ethnicity is. It's a pretty normal question to ask people of color, as long as you're polite and respectful.
That would work! I would have liked to be a bit more tan, to make my character look more like me.

My character didn't get tanned this year yet. By this time last year when I first got the game she had a nice caramel tan going on. I think I might spend more time on the island so I can get my character tanned for winter this year and have her with light blue hair for a while. I like the contrast of the dark and light when it is all snowy in ACNL.

Yeah I think it would work pretty well! Considering how many people play nintendo games, they should really plan for more diversity for mayors. Especially since they program information about other countries Gulliver travels to. Rover and Gulliver can both mention something positive about the country the mayor's ethnic background is from!

Or maybe the option to change skin color at shampoodle in a tanning bed? That would be kinda cool.

No but I like the tan, I got a good one last year and made a cute outfit but I didn't realize wearing a hat would get rid of it. :| But now since I hardly ever take off my Mailman hat I don't get tans anymore. ; ; The skin tone options in Pok?mon X/Y give me hope for any future Animal Crossing installments, though.

Nope. I can only tolerate tanned characters when it's a preset option (skin picker or whatever) and it depends on my mood. I actually hate my mayor dark.

I never got tan this summer! Not even a little. I'm not sure if it was because of a hat/accessory or if I just didn't play long enough or what, but my skin stayed the same shade.

I suppose the lack of available skin tones never occurred to me as an issue because I always figured the character was supposed to be light-skinned Japanese, not just white. But I definitely support the idea of adding a variety of skin tones in future Animal Crossing games; though I also wish the gender system was different, and I also wish I had a million dollars, lol.

It might be difficult to integrate that into Animal Crossing's character creation, though. I think a spectrum of colour from darkest to lightest like they have for natural hair at Shampoodle's could be a good idea. I don't really have any ideas for what the question could be, but considering 1) responding differently about your moving plans somehow determines your facial structure and hairstyle 2) Rover is the kind of person who assumes gender and sits down next to you anyway if you tell him to go away, I don't think it'd be much of a stretch for people to program a skin colour determinator into the train conversation.

Last edited:
Ikr, same here. It's 2014, ya think we could be purple if we wanted to.

I love to dress head to toe in costumes, so my hat most often keeps me from tanning ... I like the tanned look, though! :lemon:

Last summer my character was as tanned as you could get because I was playing for hours everyday with no hat/sunglasses on, as it was my first month playing it haha!

I wish, I haven't been succesful at getting a tan and it's kinda annoying considering I am tan irl and would like to see my character tan even for a short time. XP

ugh i miss my tan so much but i don't have the time to go to the island for 15 mins everyday :c

They really need to add some skin tone options to the next game.. :/

This, yeah, I know it would be a great idea for more character customization. Allowing for many more races to be represented in the game would be great. :)

Back