Snowflake Glow Wand
Festive Bell
Friday the 13th Candy
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
So if you hosted a party, built an amusement park ride, or made a game, here’s a question to ask. What theme would you pick? Of course, you may mix themes as long as it relates to the theme some way. Now what if you were asking a Pokémon that same question?

A few days ago, I thought of themes and how each Pokémon type relates to it. As there are 18 types, here’s what theme best fits each type (and the reasoning to go with them):

• Normal - Generic: Since the generic theme is basic and technically themeless, it would be the best theme for Normal Pokémon. The generic theme itself is bland, but it can be mixed with any theme. In Pokémon, the Normal type refers to what doesn’t go under the other types or would represent all types. An interesting fact is that if you’re only restricted to the generic theme, you can use colors, shapes, numbers, or letters as different themes.
  • Fire - Summer: Fire and summer have one thing in common - heat. Since they are both related to heat, the summer theme is the best fit for Fire Pokémon. I could consider the volcano theme, but it’s not interesting enough. But at least some elements of the summer theme (such as campfires and tiki torches) have fire. Oh, and did I forget to mention, the “Sunny Day” status move? That’s a Fire-type move, and the Sun is a major element of the summer.
  • Water - Sea: The Pokémon type and theme name is self-explanatory. But the sea theme includes everything related to it: pirates, aquatic life, Atlantis, and the Titanic.
  • Electric - City: More specifically modern cities, but the reason why I chose this theme is because cities use electricity. The sub-themes (factories, construction, and transportation) also involve electricity. Other themes that would match this type: Sci-fi, summer, fall, and computer.
  • Grass - Spring: Let’s think of what spring is about. Gardening, growing, flowers, trees, does this sound familiar? Yep, that’s Grass Pokémon alright. Other themes that would match this type: Summer, tropical, forest, and fall.
  • Ice - Winter: This by far is the least surprising match-up. Winter-related Pokémon always falls under the Ice Type, as snow and ice are major elements of the winter. This theme includes everything related to it as well, such as Christmas and Winter Sports.
  • Fighting - Sports: Most of the Fighting Type Pokémon are based on martial arts or some other kind of sports. What are they? Athletic activities. So I came up with this theme.
  • Poison - Swamp: There’s hardly any theme that would fit Poison Pokémon in general, but if any theme would best fit, it would be the swamp theme. But swamps aren’t as toxic as Poison Pokémon. But it is worth saying that the early Grass Pokémon were also Poison types, and there’s a lot of vegetation in swamps.
  • Ground - Desert: The opposite extreme of the humid and wet biomes with lots of plants is the arid and dry biomes with hardly any plants. You can see the Earth’s surreal features in the desert, and the Ground type is based on the Earth.
  • Flying - Fall: The Flying Type is based on the element of air and wind. The fall is quite windy, and it’s when the air cools down. But the Flying Type is more about birds than the element of air, and the fall theme wouldn’t be complete without birds.
  • Psychic - Sci-Fi: The Psychic Type includes two different qualities: light and intelligence. What does that make? The sci-fi theme. This includes labs, advanced technology, space, lights, and computer. It’s also worth mentioning that there are alien Pokémon, space cloud Pokémon, and light Pokémon. All are based on sci-fi elements and are Psychic Type Pokémon.
  • Bug - Insect: I could pick the adventure theme for this, but there is an actual theme dedicated to insects. Sounds like a perfect match for Bug Pokémon.
  • Rock - Ancient: Buildings in ancient civilizations that remain today are made of stone, which is synonymous with rocks. Another element of the ancient theme is the prehistoric theme. All of the fossil Pokémon are of the Rock Type.
  • Ghost - Horror: Another unsurprising match. Ghosts are a component of the horror theme, and the Ghost Type is dedicated to that.
  • Dragon - Medieval: Dragons are an element of the medieval theme, so I paired this theme with this type.
  • Dark - War: Dark means “evil” in this context, and it represents everything bad. War is a terrible thing, so this is a good match. The war theme also includes the modern army theme if you want to make this theme more interesting.
  • Steel - Steampunk: Machines would be the best theme for this, but I had to pick a theme that is much more metal than power. The steampunk theme is the top theme I could think of. Other themes that would match this type: Sci-fi, medieval, transportation, and construction.
  • Fairy - Fairy-Tale: This is obvious because the Fairy Type is mostly about magic, which is common in fairy tales.
If you agree or disagree, feel free to leave a comment.

Back