• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

How Will Card Packs Be Set Up?

Unlike regular cards, amiibo cards would actually be used in video games, which is why they might not randomize them. With regular cards (let's say, pokemon cards), they have no actual use in video games. You can just collect them all and maybe have a pokemon card battle or two with a friend. With these cards, you'd collect them, but you'd also scan them into Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (and maybe even the next Animal Crossing game) in order to play with them in the game. If you get a bunch of doubles of someone like Peanut, you can't do anything different with it in the game. Because they're amiibo cards, they might not randomize them so that people can get different cards that they can use in the game. I'm still doubtful that Nintendo would not randomize them but maybe Nintendo will think of it like that?

That's not true, there were cards that linked with video games before and they were often random. It makes sense for them to make them random if they want to make extra money since people will have to keep buying the packs (if they don't just get the ones they need from ebay). This is different from amiibo because cards are cheaper to produce and they're planning on releasing a higher number, so it doesn't seem impossible to try to make people buy as many packs as they can.

It doesn't make as much sense if you absolutely need the cards to play the game (instead of just being a bonus), since otherwise you might end up being stuck if you haven't been getting any cards for a while and keep getting repeats. That doesn't mean that they won't do it, though.

Species would be cool, random would probably be the way they do it though- there not really as tradable as pokemon cards though. They will end up on EBay before you know it, so you will be able just buys ones you want!

almost kind of hope Nintendo does a special set for hardcore collectors that comes with every card in a special binder or something

but knowing them, even if they did that, it'd have a super low print run and just grabbed up by scalpers so

you weren't around for the eReader Pokemon TCG era were you?

or for the eReader Animal Crossing cards? which this most closely resembles from what we know

I am aware of the Animal Crossing ereader cards' use in games (and I actually wasn't thinking about their uses in the games while I was writing my reply :p), but their uses were so minor and insignificant. If you scan a villager card (like Peanut), you'll get a letter with an item from them that you could get normally in the game? What's the point of that? I could just play the game and get it. Or what about the cards with designs made by Nintendo? I can easily look at the design (in this day and age, on the internet) and try to recreate it within the game. And what about those town tune cards? Again, I can look at the letters for the town tune and recreate it. In something like Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, they have more of a purpose and use than the ereader cards, and Nintendo is most likely going to use these cards for something in the next Animal Crossing (whether it is used in the same way as the ereader cards, I don't know). Of course, some of the cards were actually pretty cool (like the ones that gave you NES games), but overall, the ereader cards were pretty useless in terms of gameplay.

I know that there is some really terrible amiibo support for some games (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, in specific) and more limited amiibo support for more obscure characters (like Little Mac or Diddy Kong), but even the ones that are only compatible with Smash have more substance than the ereader cards. I think being able to train and level up your own fighter in the game is really cool, and it can even allow for amiibo Smash Bros tournaments. Mario Party 10 has excellent amiibo support, in my opinion, and I love the Mario Kart 8 suits that amiibos like Captain Falcon, Samus, and Fox have to offer. Plus, Amiibo Tap is coming soon to the Wii U, so you'll be able to play segments of NES/SNES games with them. So far, I think the amiibos don't have that bad support (though I do hate Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Hyrule Warriors' use of amiibos). There is also definitely going to be more coming to the amiibos in the future, so they'll keep getting more and more support over time.

Also, when I was talking about the pokemon cards, I was referring to the regular pokemon cards and not the ereader pokemon cards. The pokemon ereader cards actually did have a pretty cool use in terms of gameplay, in my opinion, but I still think that Nintendo could handle the Animal Crossing amiibo cards differently when it comes to distribution, especially with all of the madness we're currently experiencing of finding actual amiibos (not the common ones like Mario but the harder to find ones like Little Mac).

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's not true, there were cards that linked with video games before and they were often random. It makes sense for them to make them random if they want to make extra money since people will have to keep buying the packs (if they don't just get the ones they need from ebay). This is different from amiibo because cards are cheaper to produce and they're planning on releasing a higher number, so it doesn't seem impossible to try to make people buy as many packs as they can.

It doesn't make as much sense if you absolutely need the cards to play the game (instead of just being a bonus), since otherwise you might end up being stuck if you haven't been getting any cards for a while and keep getting repeats. That doesn't mean that they won't do it, though.

I do admit that I did forget about their use in video games when I was writing the original post, but their actual use in video games were just so minor, insignificant, and random. I just wrote about it in another reply, so you could read what I said about that, if you want. I do agree with you that if they did make it random then they would make more money since people would have to keep buying more packs to get the last card they need to complete their collection or the card they want. Even with the cheaper production, I feel like they could just sell them differently, like by number and wave, because of their uses in games. Even though Happy Home Designer is just a spin-off, to get a better experience out of it, you'll need to buy more cards of villagers. Also, if they were randomized, I think it would make Nintendo's relations with customers about amiibo even worse. People already are struggling to find amiibos of more obscure characters (like Little Mac) and are angry at Nintendo about the production shortages, and if Nintendo were to randomize the cards, I feel like it would only make things worse.

I bet I could sell a Marshal card for $10+, same goes for Stitches and etc. Lol

I hope its sorted by 1-10, 11-20, or by species, but idk

Also, when I was talking about the pokemon cards, I was referring to the regular pokemon cards and not the ereader pokemon cards.

So was I. It's specifically why I said TCG and not Battle e.

There was a small point in the Pokemon TCG's life during the time when Nintendo was pushing the eReader that the TCG cards had eReader codes.

Last edited:
Do you guys have Twitter ? If you do, use Twitter to write to @trintran (Bill Trinen) and @NintendoAmerica to tell them you do not want randomized bags for Animal Crossing amiibos. I did and if we are enough to do so, to let him know that, maybe we can get satisfaction.
Capture d’écran 2015-04-04 à 09.00.40.jpg

Last edited:
Also, if they were randomized, I think it would make Nintendo's relations with customers about amiibo even worse. People already are struggling to find amiibos of more obscure characters (like Little Mac) and are angry at Nintendo about the production shortages, and if Nintendo were to randomize the cards, I feel like it would only make things worse.

People are getting justifiably mad with Nintendo because of how poorly circulated quite a number of amiibos have been, in addition to all the problems that have come from simply trying to order. I really doubt much anyone would get mad at them for randomizing cards when its the norm for this kind of stuff pretty much all the time anyways. Maybe annoyed at the decision with a refusal to buy the packs. But I bet you if anyone writes up some rant about how Nintendo is "screwing them over" or anything because of that, they'll just get laughed at. Now if the cards have the same production problems that the figures have had, then there's a valid complaint. However, since cards are generally cheaper to produce (and no doubt Nintendo chose cards for this over figures or something else because of that), I really doubt the production shortages will be as bad or last as long.

That said though, if they do release in a way where you know what you're getting, I'd expect it to be in waves like the amiibo figures with each wave being a "deck" box of like 40-60 cards for around $10-20. $10-15 as a more reasonable guess, but since we know nothing of the material or anything, I'm pushing to a maximum high end here.

Or maybe they'll even combine both of these release models. Have a starter box containing a predetermined set of 40-60 cards, and then put everything else in randomized booster packs with 5-10 cards per pack. This could be even done in waves too. With maybe like 3-5 waves total, depending on how many cards are in each wave.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Do you guys have Twitter ? If you do, use Twitter to write to @trintran (Bill Trinen) and @NintendoAmerica to tell them you do not want randomized bags for Animal Crossing amiibos. I did and if we are enough to do so, to let him know that, maybe we can get satisfaction.

I refuse.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I bet I could sell a Marshal card for $10+, same goes for Stitches and etc. Lol

I hope its sorted by 1-10, 11-20, or by species, but idk

$10 is actually pretty super cheap tbh.

Last edited:
The packs will probably come out in different "waves", like other card games do. Each wave would have mostly normal-looking villagers, some ugly villagers, popular/special design villagers (eg. Stitches, Merengue, Tangy, Bob) and a few NPCs (rare). They could be sorted so you don't get too much of one thing (like for Pok?mon it's 5 common, 3 uncommon, 1 rare, 1 random reverse holo).

Also the packs are most likely not going to have very many cards, since they'll be very expensive to produce. In other card games you just look at your cards, put them away, and trade/make them into a deck later, while in this game you scan them and play with them. If each pack had say, 10 cards, people would play with 5 cards max in one day and never buy any again because they feel that they have enough. Meanwhile with only 3-4 cards per pack, people will play with them and then buy another pack or two when the next wave comes out. Plus people would be more inclined to buy 3 $4 packs than 1 $12 pack.

Even if they do have set packs, there will still be some villagers you don't like in there. Unless the packs have 1 of all the top 20 most popular villagers, but obviously they wouldn't do that because that's stupid lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

$10 is actually pretty super cheap tbh.

ooomg I can't wait to see how the fandom reacts to e-e-expensive marshal-senpai cards! ;_;!! so unfair and capitalist!!

ID say Theyll sell them in series. Series one , Isabelle and some villagers. Series two, nook and some villagers. Series 3, blathers and some villagers etc.
They wont randomised them at the expense of the NFC chips as many would be wasted from duplicates.

The packs will probably come out in different "waves", like other card games do. Each wave would have mostly normal-looking villagers, some ugly villagers, popular/special design villagers (eg. Stitches, Merengue, Tangy, Bob) and a few NPCs (rare). They could be sorted so you don't get too much of one thing (like for Pok?mon it's 5 common, 3 uncommon, 1 rare, 1 random reverse holo).

Most card games, as far as I know, have waves but unless you're buying specific sets (like pre-made decks) you just have booster packs that have random cards from within the waves. We already know that there will be a mix in the overall choice of characters, but even if they release them in waves, that doesn't answer the question of how the bags will be set up (will each bag have a random set or will it be the same set per pack so you'll know which packs to get).

I disagree that they'll mix villagers like that in each "wave". If they do have "waves" and don't just release all or most of the cards at once, the villagers in the packs and that wave will probably be random. There are no "ugly" villagers, just personal opinions on which villagers are ugly. A villager like Bob isn't even a special design like villagers based on other creatures or inanimate objects is, whereas Hans and Tucker (who most people consider ugly) are supposed to be a Yeti and a mammoth, respectively.

They could look at lists of popular villagers if they're making random packs, just to make certain cards rarer to encourage people to buy them, but I doubt it since which villagers are popular depends (not all AC fans are on this site, many kids who will buy the cards aren't). I think the ones that will be rare cards, if any, will just be the NPC characters.

I imagine they'll be sold in blind bag packs like Pokemon cards. It's more random, therefore gives Nintendo more money right? People will probably need to buy more packs to get the "good villagers."

Are Pok?mon cards manufactured with an active chip like the amiibo ? Cause with read-write memory, it's not just an illustrated cardboard card. It's a plastic card with a chip in it. It costs a bit more to manufacture...

LOL, what if they do holographics for these too!

how much would you pay for a holographic beau

I wondered this, if they are going to be like Pokemon cards I ALWAYS get the lame cards :( I hope they sell the popular ones individually :) do you think they will be expensive? I hope they are cheap to buy *wishful thinking *:)

I wondered this, if they are going to be like Pokemon cards I ALWAYS get the lame cards :( I hope they sell the popular ones individually :) do you think they will be expensive? I hope they are cheap to buy *wishful thinking *:)

Me too! I always get the lame Pokemon cards :)

I think they will be randomised for sure, but curtain popular villagers or characters will be golden, they might even and special new characters!! That would be super cool.

- - - Post Merge - - -

What I ask is whether theonly use of the villagers we get in the cards will be to visit others houses, if so that's super lame..........

Well, considering how Nintendo has handled amiibos this far. The cards will probably be sold in predetermined packs. You'll have a common set of some thing like Isabelle, Peanut and Goose. Then you'll have your Target and Bestbuy exclusive set of something like K.K. Slider, Ankha, and Marshal which will need to be preordered because your local store only bought 12 as extra floor stock.

Then the exclusive set will sell out online within 30 mins and you won't be able to get to the store on release date. Then if you really want it, you'll have to pay double or triple to online sellers who only bought the darn thing to exploit other people who actually wanted it! So nope! No Rosalina- I mean card set for me- I mean, you! I'm not bitterly projecting my experiences of amiibo collecting at all!

Personally, I hope they find an inexpensive way to do it blind bag like pokemon. I'm so lucky with pokemon booster packs...

Back