• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

How do you eat your French toast?

How do you eat your French toast?

• Sweet: syrup, sugar, fruits, etc.

• Savoury: fried veggies, meats, cheeses, etc.

• Plain: just maybe some salt

• Other: please comment your response

• I don't like French toast

Results are only viewable after voting.

Peter

skull kid
Retired Staff
Bells
Switch
2557-6691-2019
Island
Notch
Moonlight Halloweaster Egg
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Final Boss Feather
Invader
Toy Hammer
Galaxy Easter Egg
Star Glow Wand
Heart Glow Wand
Flower Glow Wand
White Feather
OKAY so I was talking to a friend abt French toast this morning, and I was shocked to find out people eat it sweet with syrup/sugar/berries on for breakfast. I thought it was weird, but then the more i searched the more i'm finding out that way seems to be the standard way to eat it?? So now I need your help to find out if I'm the weird one... :lemon:

Growing up and to this day, I have always eaten French toast plain. I just add salt into the beaten eggs and maybe add a pinch more when I'm about to eat -- but that's it. To me, the fried egg bread is the dish and i wouldn't have stuff added on top. Sweet French toast sounds more like a dessert than a breakfast to me, but I would be up for trying it one day... when I've gotten over the fact it's fried egg with sugar on top :' ).

So let me know:
  • What's your favourite way to eat it? What are your favourite additions?
  • Have you tried other ways? Did you like them too?
  • Does your country have any traditional variations? What are they?
And let's all agree that no matter what, French toast is a meal for champions and should be eaten morning, noon and night.

I've only had it the sweet style at a restaurant. I don't remember if it was on the dessert menu or not. I would probably love it plain too though because yes french toast is amazing 🤤

I love having it sweet. If it was a crêpe, I'd have it sweet or savory lol. But yes, I do enjoy it with just some pure Canadian maple syrup and powdered sugar n cinnamon. Or if I'm ordering it at a restaurant, I love having fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries bananas) or fruit compote on top so I can skip the syrup and get some other form of ~*~natural sugar~*~

I balance out the sweetness by having scrambled eggs and bacon (or pork sausage links) on the side. That's how I've grown up enjoying it.

EDIT: Where I live, it's a tropical island so a restaurant here has coconut syrup for their French toast and it is D I V I N E, everyone.

Haven't had em since I was a kid, but I remember eating them.. neutral?

And yeah we have a Swedish thing that's called "Fattiga riddare" (lit. 'Poor knights') that's along the same thing but yeah idr eating em with stuff.

Haven't had em since I was a kid, but I remember eating them.. neutral?

And yeah we have a Swedish thing that's called "Fattiga riddare" (lit. 'Poor knights') that's along the same thing but yeah idr eating em with stuff.

In German it is also called Armer Ritter - Poor Knight :)

However... I don´t know anyone that eats them for breakfast. You can order them at some restaurants but they are always sectioned under desserts.

I think the most common breakfast in Germany is toast with jam or marmelade. Interestingly plain or salted french toast is more or less unknown.

I've had both sweet (fresh fruits, honey/maple syrup, whipped cream, jams) and savory (eggs, ham) spins on French toast, though I've had the sweet variation more often. Both are delicious!

In German it is also called Armer Ritter - Poor Knight :)

However... I don´t know anyone that eats them for breakfast. You can order them at some restaurants but they are always sectioned under desserts.

I think the most common breakfast in Germany is toast with jam or marmelade. Interestingly plain or salted french toast is more or less unknown.
yeah I think I had them like, after a meal or as a meal but not as dessert/sweetened with stuff

aha cool, didn't know that they were called that there too :)

I always add lots of honey when I make it at home! At restaurants, it normally comes with fruits as well as powdered sugar and syrup, and I like it that way as well, but only eat it that way in restaurants. I'm happy enough with just the honey ^_^

I've never ever heard of it being eaten savoury!

Sweet mostly, with syrup and some kind of powdered sugar. Very rarely do I eat it plain, I find it kind of unappetizing plain.

I do it sweet! I make it a lot for people and I always add syrup and cinnamon sugar (and salt). I didn't realize people did it anyway else!

I love my French toast sweet with syrup and powdered sugar! I also like bacon on the side. French toast>waffles>pancakes

Loooots of maple syrup. It is a thing here (United States) to have it with fruits like berries or topped with powdered sugar. My favourite is when it's the chocolate bread.

What's your favourite way to eat it? What are your favourite additions?
Syrup, fresh strawberries, whipcream.
Have you tried other ways? Did you like them too? Haven't really seen it other ways where I live. The above is pretty much the usual. People may add on savory sides like sausage/bacon/etc.
Does your country have any traditional variations? What are they?
I would say the above is pretty traditional (syrup, whip cream, strawberries or other fruits like blueberries)

i've never heard of french toast served anything but sweet ! i don't think it's a well known thing in the uk as it's something i've only ever eaten abroad. just egg fried bread is more popular here, though i wouldn't call it french toast. to me, french toast means sweet and sugary.

I've literally never heard of anyone eating french toast with veggies/salt/etc that just doesn't even sound right lol. but to each their own I guess :p

Back