• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Has anyone ever suffered from Sleep Paralysis?

Minni

Chibi Girl!
Bells
Kirby Easter Egg
Poptart Easter Egg
Flower Glow Wand
Heart Glow Wand
Chocolate Cake
Peach (Fruit)
Sakura Easter Egg
Candy Easter Egg
Pikachu Easter Egg
Easter Egg

If you don't know what sleep paralysis is ~

Sleep paralysis is a temporary inability to move or speak that happens when you're waking up
or, less commonly, falling asleep.
Although you're awake, your body is briefly paralysed, after which you can move and speak as normal. The paralysis can last from a few seconds to several minutes.
Sleep paralysis doesn't cause you any harm, but being unable to move can be very frightening.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm interested in how it is for other people, how they cope with it and what happens during it as it can feel very nightmare-ish.

Actually, sleep paralysis is a common astral projection method (which I have a thread on, actually), and I have been through it once before. At the time, I wasn't intending to astral project or anything, so it came to me as a surprise when I suddenly heard my heart beating incredibly loud and fast, and I couldn't move or see. I panicked so much that I woke up very quickly. I can't remember that much else about it, really. I don't suffer from it, but I've been through it, if only for a few seconds.

Last edited:
i dont really suffer from it, but it happens sometimes. i had it a lot when i was younger but it started going down as i got older

but now i get something similar to it when im working on things..it only lasts like three second though. i dont think its a medical issue or anything considering i dont see any harm afterwards, but this would happen every few days

i'd just be typing or texting and as some people already know, i'm a really fast typer..so while im in the middle of typing, my body would just get paralyzed and i cant move..then all is well afterwards but as i said, i dont see any harm in it so im not really concerned

I started getting it around 3 years ago and it was really frightening! For the first year i probably got it around 2/3 times a week. I always get the sensation that something is tickling my neck or holding me down. There have been a few rare cases when i've actually seen figures but i couldnt make out what it was. I don't get it as much as i did back then thank god cause i'm an absolute chicken!

I think I had it as a child...

When I would wake up, my limbs would feel sore and my fingers and toe numb.
Whenever I tried to move, it hurted like I was getting my limbs twisted

No but I'm scared it will happen

It usually comes after you have a dream that you can control?
but I forgot the name of those kind of dreams :/

Yup, well, I'm not sure if it's sleep paralysis or not because I still dreaming but I'm half concious but I'm not able to move and my sight is limitated ;-;

No but I'm scared it will happen

It usually comes after you have a dream that you can control?
but I forgot the name of those kind of dreams :/

Lucid dreams? I've had those before~

If you don't know what sleep paralysis is ~

Sleep paralysis is a temporary inability to move or speak that happens when you're waking up
or, less commonly, falling asleep.
Although you're awake, your body is briefly paralysed, after which you can move and speak as normal. The paralysis can last from a few seconds to several minutes.
Sleep paralysis doesn't cause you any harm, but being unable to move can be very frightening.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm interested in how it is for other people, how they cope with it and what happens during it as it can feel very nightmare-ish.

Sure. And get the Star Rod too.

yes that **** is the worst. I havent had it recently, but it happened when i was around 13-14? It feels so strange and i try forcing my body to move. It definitely feels quite scary but at least i dont get them anymore~

ah man i love lucid dreaming, once i fell asleep, woke up for a bit, and continued to control my own dream c: It was the best! But i cant do it anymore lol

I started getting it when I went into eighth grade, 3 years later and im a soph now and it still is terrible. ive learned different ways to cope. I like to take naps allll the time and it always happens waking up from a nap or when I'm sick (since I tend to sleep the day away.) So when my sleep schedule is normal I don't get it but when I mess it up I do. anyway, when I get it I used to be able to move my toes or a finger continuously and snap out of it but now its so hard to snap out of I just close my eyes and fall back into a dream state. I like this way of getting out of it even more than just waking up because I can actually control and know that I'm asleep when I do this. :) I've never had any "paranormal" encounters like people say but sometimes when I hallucinate I think I see my mom or sometimes I'll hear a familiar voice that sounds safe try to talk to me. It doesn't really bother me much besides the fact I can't move or respond.

Actually, sleep paralysis is a common astral projection method (which I have a thread on, actually), and I have been through it once before. At the time, I wasn't intending to astral project or anything, so it came to me as a surprise when I suddenly heard my heart beating incredibly loud and fast, and I couldn't move or see. I panicked so much that I woke up very quickly. I can't remember that much else about it, really. I don't suffer from it, but I've been through it, if only for a few seconds.
oooohhhh throw that shade henny!!!

I've also induced sleep paralysis driven hallucinations while attempting the WILD (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) method of lucid dreaming. I was conscious the whole time...heard a loud buzzing noise and felt as though there was somebody in my room dragging me around by the arm. Opened my eyes and I was in the same position I went to bed in. Never managed to have hallucinations with SP again, crazy what the mind can do.

Yeah I've kinda get that sometimes - but it's ONLY when I wake from a nightmare. I can move my body but my eyes won't open. It's really freaky.

Yeah I've gotten that a few times, mostly it's my legs who disappears and I can't open my mouth. It's a bit creepy but I'm used ot my legs having blasts like that so I don't really get too afraid.

About lucid dreaming, it was more common to have it before but I haven't had it much lately.

occasionally if i'm dreaming i can realize i'm in a dream, wake up, and then i find that i'm unable to move. it used to happen so often to me that i'm actually pretty skilled at ignoring the tingly feeling in my legs (usually my legs are the most paralyzed)/arms and getting my movement back.

or sometimes just as i'm about to fall asleep i'll wake up partially and be in sleep paralysis. i used to get it all the time but i've been getting it a lot less recently for some reason.

tbh though, my thoughts every time it happens isnt panic but rather an annoyed "ugh, not this **** again..." lol.

Last edited:
Can sleep paralysis be triggered by bad/scary thoughts? If so, I suffered from it a lot from the age of 7-8.

Back