• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

Added a few new Qs to the main post to reflect some of the recent questions. (re: dreamies, whether an amiibo card comes with copies, # games per cartridge, # of QR slots).

Jake., Knower of All Things (tm), if you can turn your eagle eyes loose on the new Qs and let me know if I got something wrong or messed up anywhere, that'd be awesome!

Questions:
Can you say "no" to a villager? Like decide not to decorate their house?
Like can you say no to all of them, until you are able to find your dreamies?

Hey Laddiee, one more thing about villagers: each villager unlocks certain furniture (and in some cases, colours of garden flowers), so even if it's not someone you'd have in your regular AC:NL town, it's worth considering designing homes for them so that when you do encounter your dreamies, you'll have a range of options for decorating their homes, beyond the specific furniture they unlock. E.g., Beardo, whom I wouldn't want in my AC:NL town, asks for an English garden theme in HHD. His unlocks include things like a fancy new China tea set (and the afternoon tea set!), plus a bunch of wrought-iron garden furniture. Even though I'm not a Beardo fan, I'll be right in his face to deco his home the minute he shows up, because I want to unlock that stuff. And then I'll use those unlocks to deco, say, Baabara's house, or Nan's, or Pietro's (just because <3 ).

The game comes out October 2nd in Europe and October 3rd in Australia - not October 3rd for both.

Thought it's been established in the OP already? :O

When is Happy Home Designer coming out?
It launched on July 30 in Japan, and launches on September 25 in North America, October 2 in Europe and October 3 in Australia.

Anyway, THANKYOU Voluptua Sneezelips for this informative & interesting thread!!
I'll probably pre-order the game from Amazon. So looking forward to September. C:

I've been wondering, when you just start playing do you already have all the items in the catalog? Or is it like you gain money to buy more items and expand your catalog?

I've been wondering, when you just start playing do you already have all the items in the catalog? Or is it like you gain money to buy more items and expand your catalog?

Hi Melodee! You start with a very small number of items and you unlock new ones as you design houses for villagers. Each one unlocks new furniture for you to use. You don't need money to buy items -- all you need to do is design villager homes. :)

How many "public buildings" are there? I know of 3 so far, If I want to make a candyshop, School, Hospital and/or Flower shop do I have to remove one? or will there be more space for "public buildings" the more houses I decorate?

How many "public buildings" are there? I know of 3 so far, If I want to make a candyshop, School, Hospital and/or Flower shop do I have to remove one? or will there be more space for "public buildings" the more houses I decorate?

there's 10.
School, department store, hospital, hotel, music room, restaurant, diner, office, and 2 shops (11 if you include the school extension).

Is it the same map every time you place a house? I saw someone on Tumblr saying you could reuse plots and put every house in the same space if you wanted. If it is the same map every time, is the map random for each game or the same for all games?

Is it the same map every time you place a house? I saw someone on Tumblr saying you could reuse plots and put every house in the same space if you wanted. If it is the same map every time, is the map random for each game or the same for all games?

Let's see if someone actually playing answers as well, but I've been watching a bunch of playthroughs by different people and it looks as though the HHD map has a single specific layout, which doesn't differ from game to game. In terms of choosing the same plot over and over, you can absolutely do that. Each villager's home is instanced, which allows you to choose the same plot for multiple villagers, and each will be on its own in that instance. (e.g., if you chose a plot for Tom, you could choose the same plot for Graham and even though the plots were identical, you wouldn't see Tom's home).

Each plot on the map grid is the same as that plot would be in another player's game. In your own, single game, the map won't vary (e.g., if you chose a specific beach location for a villager, it would look the same if you chose it again for the next villager). You can customise the season for each plot, though, so you could choose the the same plot but set the season to spring for one villager and autumn for another.

For those with the special outfits for their characters, how do you get them?

I really want Sable's other outfit but haven't found a special edition card for her anywhere >.<

For those with the special outfits for their characters, how do you get them?

I really want Sable's other outfit but haven't found a special edition card for her anywhere >.<

It's not special cards for their special outfits. I believe it's just an option when you're at their home to change their clothes into the second outfit.

It's not special cards for their special outfits. I believe it's just an option when you're at their home to change their clothes into the second outfit.

Oh I see, I wasn't sure as I know there's a special edition Isabelle card {though I'm not 100% sure if that even does anything now >.<}

Does anyone know if you can unlock fish and bugs to use as furniture for decorating? I really hope so, I want to make aquarium rooms.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can unlock fish and bugs to use as furniture for decorating? I really hope so, I want to make aquarium rooms.

Hiya Dozer:
you sure can! Fish, bugs, and art are unlockable by spending play coins (the coins you earn just by walking around with your DS). After you've designed a few houses, you'll have the option to take "correspondence" courses from your desk in Tom Nook Housing. Each course costs anywhere from 1-6 play coins, though your first one is free. In addition to fish n' bugs and stuff, you can also unlock ceiling decorations, refurbishing, the ability to design multi-room houses, and more!

Last edited:
Back