• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Games Too Difficult for You to Beat?

Hahaha. As a casual gamer... many. Doesn’t stop me from giving some a go though! Generally timed challenges or anything with any complicated/advanced aspects and moves. Give me a good quality easy game that doesn’t insult intelligence and I will enjoy it.

Usually I stop games due to boredom, but one that truly stopped me in my tracks (TWICE!) due to difficulty was Metroid Fusion. There's this one section where you have to make an (imo) unnecessarily long trek from a save point to reach a very difficult Spider Boss... that thing killed me so many times, and eventually I stopped because I got frustrated with having to walk aaaaallllll the way through the repetitive corridors to reach it again just to be sent back. Then years later I said "well, maybe I was just a little kid who was bad at video games" and decided to try again.... same story

Maybe someday I'll build the willpower to grind out that boss, but I expect it will take a while and will be a painful, painful experience.

I'm not very good with hand/eye coordination so any game requiring excellent reflexes is a challenge for me, haha! I made the mistake of buying Cuphead last year because I loved the art style, but that game is so hard I can't get very far, let alone try to beat it.

Mario Odyssey wasn't too bad but I will never get 100% on that game - the final challenge is way too hard for me. And there are similar issues for me with the Spyro remakes - there are certain levels (funny enough, not the boss levels) that are basically impossible.

final fantasy x2 is still tedious for me to get a 100% completed playthrough. but i will do it. one of these days. 😤

I rarely ever play anything that involves non-turn-based battling unless it's multiplayer so that my friends can carry my dead body weight to the end of the game.

That is interesting, because for me it's when I'm playing multiplayer that me sucking feels the worst, because then I'm being a major burden to everyone else playing.

If I suck in a single player game where no one is relying on me, fine. I don't care as much, but when other people are involved I feel really guilty.

This is me trying to play FFXIV. Most of the dungeons and bosses are fine, but then there are some that I just never get the mechanics and embarrassingly keep dying while no one else is and it makes me feel terrible.

That is interesting, because for me it's when I'm playing multiplayer that me sucking feels the worst, because then I'm being a major burden to everyone else playing.

If I suck in a single player game where no one is relying on me, fine. I don't care as much, but when other people are involved I feel really guilty.
They're my friends. They ask to play these games with me in order to hang out because they like spending time with me. Whether or not we lose doesn't matter to them as long as we are still on voice call laughing and trying our best given the circumstances. I've always viewed video games as purely a hobby. As long as everyone is having fun and they don't care I am barely contributing then imo I don't have a reason to feel bad.

They're my friends. They ask to play these games with me in order to hang out because they like spending time with me. Whether or not we lose doesn't matter to them as long as we are still on voice call laughing and trying our best given the circumstances. I've always viewed video games as purely a hobby. As long as everyone is having fun and they don't care I am barely contributing then imo I don't have a reason to feel bad.

Well, I'm really glad you found a group of friends that doesn't care. Really, it's probably something I need to do if I can. I've been running FFXIV content with random people. =/

Oh geez, where do I begin? Some of these (or all of them, I apologize) are really obscure games.

- Lego Dimensions. Got it as a birthday gift, played for about 4 hours straight, got stuck in the level with the weeping angels and just stopped playing. I tried for many days afterward but I'm too chicken to die to Lego weeping angels. And the level had, like, the lights flickering on and off and the music was ominous... And I can't even go back to complete it now because some of the characters are missing.
- Azure Nights. I play in bursts and at sporadic moments in the past so I constantly have to be confused on what I'm even doing and end up restarting the game, only to get bored and stop playing... And the cycle repeats.
- SAO: Lost Song. I got stuck on the FIRST LEVEL. And was killed. By a LEVEL TWO MONSTER. I was so ashamed that I haven't touched it since, and it's been about 3 years.
- LoZ:OoT. Water temple. That's it.

I used to really enjoy playing Borderlands and me and my ex played it all the time. I bought it last year to play and found out it was alot harder than I thought....clearly he was doing most of the work. I couldnt get past the first boss man and after dying over 50 times I just gave up and ended up selling it

Wrecking Crew (NES) - Phase 95 is literally impossible if you do not know the strategy. I don't think I've beaten phase 100 either. It's not a game I've been playing religiously but it's one of those games I've gone back to the most often during the last 30 years or so, so it pains me that I still haven't completed it.

Lolo 3 (NES) - I've always loved the Lolo games. The third one is definitely the hardest. I got stuck at one room near the end and just couldn't figure out the solution. Felt like weeks trying to beat it and finally I just gave up. Few years later when I wanted to try again the game cartridge was missing. Found it again couple of months ago. Turned out my brother had borrowed it. I'm gonna give it another shot someday.

Gitaroo Man (PS2) - Beating the game on normal mode is nothing special, but I don't know if I'll ever 100% this game. Master's Play is so much harder than normal, and I've been walled on the Sanbone Trio for years. The last time I tried to buckle down and beat it, I made it to the finale and then lost... and by that time, my thumb was in pain from all the rapid-fire tapping. I feel like some day if I really dedicated my days toward it, I could win, but I wonder if the carpal tunnel would be worth it (the answer is obviously yes).

Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - I've wanted to 100% this game for a while, but while I'm really good at the hunting levels, I'm not so good at the Sonic/Shadow and Tails/Eggman levels. I'm going to do it some day, but I'll probably have to watch videos of other people completing these levels with the highest rank to see how it's done.

There might be more, but these are the first two that come to mind for me...

Platform games are my weakness. It doesn’t matter if it’s Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Celeste or whatever. I hate that the controls are too sensitive, and usually end up dying because of it.

Also, games like Overwatch make vision dizzy whenever I see the gameplay online. It must be because of the rapid actions.

i’ve never been able to finish skyward sword, even though i went as far to unlock the final dungeon, which i halfway completed.

it was sorta tricky, but i also really didn’t want to finish the story either. i really like the game but i haven’t touched it since 2017 lol

I guess I sort of have this issue because I just don't play a lot of games. I usually finish the story, but I hardly have patience for post-game stuff.

Case in point, Pokemon Sword. I'm on the Champ, but all my mons are like 10 levels under, so it's just hard to overcome the barrier (yes, I rushed to the end, it's partially my fault, lol). I know I can beat him if I spend like an hour grinding max raids, but I'm just too lazy to do it at this point.

I don't have games I can't beat though, just unfinished ones xP 99% of the time i'm just too lazy to get back to it.
When I need to train levels I find a good spot with wild pokemon and just encounter them and fight them. Something that's got good levels and pokemon that aren't too hard for my team to beat easily. If I'm gonna be doing it awhile I might put on a show or something otherwise I get bored, but the fights definitely feel faster than max raids in my opinion, and you just need to get a little closer. That + any rare candies/exp candies you have left would help if you haven't already used them.

A good strategy can get you pretty far. (levels also help of course.) You can look up his team & their moveset on serebii to help with that if you want to. That's how you get people beating the game with only an aipom, or even ditto or magikarp or something, though the latter two kind of start getting into 'beyond me' territory. You might want to check your movesets and what you have available and see if there's anything you want to change or if it's good as is.

But really, a little bit of strategy and a more even level field will probably be enough. (And some good strong healing items can't do you wrong since you're probably not restricting those.)

I decided to give Undertale a try despite it not being my kind of game. It was fun, but i stopped playing after i got stuck at that robot thing. It is a miracle i even managed to reach that stage, really. Maybe one day i will give it another shot, but i usually try to avoid games that will give me a hard time because i know i will give up and drop them eventually. I dont enjoy hard challenging games, ok? XD

Gradius Collection. Those games contain Gradius 1, 2, 3 (this game is extremely hard), 4, and Gaiden. It's a shoot em up game where you destroy enemies in your way. But if you get hit by a single bullet, you lose a life unless you have a shield/force field to take multiple hits. Granted, I was able to beat them all using save states, but if I had to go without it, I'm not gonna get even close to the end without a game over. Gradius 3 is a huge offender out of all of them. The game is very challenging and unfair with its difficulty. Seriously, it feels like the game was designed to eat your quarters and your time. Moreover, one of the stages is unbearably long with short music looping over and over again. My reflexes are fine but trying to dodge bullets in a very confined space exposes how bad I am at the shoot em up genre.

Games that make me cry that I don't want to 100%

The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild. I've done all the main quests and side quests. I even completed all the shrines and maxed out my heart containers at the cost of an incomplete stamina wheel. Inventory is maxed out as well. The problem that's preventing me from getting 100% completion is the korok seeds. There's no way I'm gonna find all 900 of them. What's the point of finding all their golden poop if my reward for doing so only gets me a bigger golden poop? No thank you.

Dragon Quest 11 S Echoes of An Elusive Age. I finished the game, including the after story sections. I maxed out the levels of all my party members. What's holding me back this time are the sidequests and finding the tockles. It's a huge pain traveling to different places just to find someone for a sidequest. It doesn't really help when you do complete it and get a common item for your reward. So I basically just wasted my time then. Don't even get me started with crafting weapons if you consider it to count towards 100%. I ain't going out of my way to craft stuff if materials are hard to come by.

Ace Combat X - Skies of Deception. I had this game for a long time now, recently getting a working copy to replace the broken one. I was able to unlock every mission, medals, parts, and colour schemes for each aircraft in single player. The issue is that some aircraft parts and medals are locked behind multiplayer mode. Since this game is for the PSP, finding someone who is willing to do multiplayer with me is impossible. Checking my player data for single player mode, I have completed everything at 100% except for plane parts which is stuck at 94%, even though the remaining parts are only obtainable in multiplayer. That number will forever mock me and I can't do anything about it sadly.

Reactions: Raz
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I was 18 at the time. But it feels i was younger don't know why. But apparently this game came out 1998. I worked at a toy store and was able to buy the N64 for cheap. After school i immediately was playing this game. I could not believe this game play and visuals, sounds and colors were possible in gaming. I loved it so much. I still recall those 3 goddesses cut scene! That was magical.

But then, after playing months, i was stuck. I just didn't know how to proceed. I remember just running not knowing what too do. And i went on living my life. Back then i had no internet but i remember some people had internet but it never occurred to me i could do research on it so i could continue this game. I've heard i also could have called nintendo. Apparently they have/had a very good help line but that also didn't occurred to me either.

Still, it is such a good memory. I really should play it again really...

I’m bad at games, so I’ve failed at pretty much every game that I’ve tried. I kinda need a video play through of the entire game or else i will get stuck at some point and give up. These are the ones I remember
  • Limbo- I got almost to the end, but there was one part where you have to time a bunch of movements perfectly to get past it, and I couldn’t do it
  • every single Mario snes game- I always get stuck on some random spot
  • Hue
  • Unravel- I got stuck close to the beginning which was very disappointing because the game looked cute and I would've loved to play more of it

Back