Do you name the Player after yourself?

How do you name your character?

• after one of my real names (first, middle, nickname etc.)

Votes: 59 64.1%
  • with a name other than my own

Votes: 40 43.5%

• Total voters
i name my character (and every character in every video game lol) mog which is a nickname irl, i used to use names i liked at the time but i'd feel frustrated if i started to go off the name and i'd often spend hours just thinking of the perfect name to use and it'd make me feel anxious lol

No I dont usually use my real name, just due to how common honestly it is.

Yes, I always play myself. I really hate coming up with a name for the place though. As a kid I went with my birth town in Wild World, but that's definitely too personal for a game with online functionality. My taste in fantasy names always changes, I prefer it when the name actually means something genuine to me, like using my actual name in games. Otherwise I'd hate it in a year.

I've always felt a bit weird when I'd name a character (not just AC, any game) with my name. Not sure why. :eek: And I'm really loving it when the games allows me to use some symbol near the name: heart, music symbol, etc. - it makes it look pretty sweet. :3

I honestly do both, sometimes I'll name myself something different and other times I just go with my name. I haven't the slightest idea why. Never really thought about it that much.

Always use the name "Shnell" whenever I play. It's a nickname, of course, but I've used it for awhile on other things that I feel pretty attached to it.

I use my real name! Though I am pleasantly surprised at how many people on the poll answered saying they don?t use their real name!

I use my real name but lately I've been regretting it. My name sounds a little weird on my character :x Thinking of using a different name for AC Horizons! Maybe something based off my real name but cuter/catchier!

I use my real name in almost every game i played including AC so it i can feel like i'm in the game itself XD

I did in the GameCube game since I was a kid and for the mayor of my main town in New Leaf, since I was unaware of Wild World's existence for years and didn't enjoy City Folk, so New Leaf felt like the first time in years that I really engaged with an Animal Crossing game again. However, I also made other towns and additional characters in all of my towns that followed their own themes and were their own people, so they all had their own names, which I chose after looking through lists and finding the ones I liked best for their personalities.

I most likely will not use my name in New Horizons because it will be a new character and a new experience. I generally don't use my name for games, as I don't really self-insert myself into anything and don't really see the appeal of doing so or why so many people do it. Not criticizing anyone who does, it just isn't really for me in most instances. I prefer to pick a different name whenever I play a game that lets you name your character(s) since I'd rather imagine that they're all different, unique individuals.

Last edited:
Personally, I've always hated associating video game characters with myself, because I play games to avoid rl lmao
so i've never named a character after myself in any game

I did before for Wild World.
now i use "Oddie"
i would use my username but it's too long XD

I like my second middle name. I use it in every single game i play. I like the name lina, im like the gamer princess. I only have acnl, so that is that. My town is named after part of my real name.... Except with two n's. Dont ask about detwo middle names though!

I actually become very detached from the game if I don't name the player after myself (first, middle or nickname). It just doesn't feel like I am the one playing the game then. It feels like I'm living someone else's life and it's weird to me

Last edited:
I?m really glad this thread has gotten so many responses :D

To me it?s fascinating to see people have such differing and strong opinions/styles of playing the game?some responses here have given me a lot to think about, in terms of my own preferences and other perspectives.

I use my real name, but I always used the name "Mina" before. I just loved that name haha. I will most likely use my real name in New Horizons too. I use my nickname in PC tho, and regret it so much after we got the Marty bear villager. XD

I almost never use my real name anymore. I use nicknames and names I think are cute. Junie is from when I was really small and enjoyed reading Junie B. Jones books, and then the principal at my elementary school began calling me Junie B (because I looked and acted just like her, even before reading her books).

Back