Describe your saddest moment on Animal Crossing!

HNI_0059.JPG
HNI_0060.JPG

I was planning on keeping her 'goodbye' letter, but I accidentally deleted it......

Okay, picture this.

I'm eight years old and I've been playing Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Gamecube for some time now.

I loved that game. Like, possibly more than anyone could love a brother. Okay, maybe not that much, but when you're able to convince your parents to let you stay home from school because of how "sick" you are just to play a video game...

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling here. One day I took my memory card containing my first and farthest town to my best friend's house to visit her town, as usual, no big whoop. But when I got home, I popped that sucker in the memory card slot, booted up the game...

... the file was corrupted. Everything I had worked for, gone, all gone.

Now, today, being the twenty-something that I am, I would have just been miffed for ten minutes before buying a new memcard and moving on.
But for childhood me, this was the end of my world.

I sulked for weeks. Inconsolable. Not even trips to the aquarium or the zoo cheered me up. I wanted to crawl into a hole and cry forever. This was the worst.

Needless to say I got over it with the release of future games, but the memory of Tunetown still lingers in the back of my mind like a cobweb...

Okay, picture this.

I'm eight years old and I've been playing Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Gamecube for some time now.

I loved that game. Like, possibly more than anyone could love a brother. Okay, maybe not that much, but when you're able to convince your parents to let you stay home from school because of how "sick" you are just to play a video game...

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling here. One day I took my memory card containing my first and farthest town to my best friend's house to visit her town, as usual, no big whoop. But when I got home, I popped that sucker in the memory card slot, booted up the game...

Now, today, being the twenty-something that I am, I would have just been miffed for ten minutes before buying a new memcard and moving on.

I sulked for weeks. Inconsolable. Not even trips to the aquarium or the zoo cheered me up. I wanted to crawl into a hole and cry forever. This was the worst.

Needless to say I got over it with the release of future games, but the memory of Tunetown still lingers in the back of my mind like a cobweb...

I just posted a similar experience - except I was 14, not 8! I literally bawled. My parents tried to tell me it was just a game, but I couldn't see it. It was - weirdly enough - my life at that point. >.<

Thinking back on these things makes me realize why I feel so 'cold' to games these days. It would be hard to top the emotional attachment that I had to Animal Crossing GCN back when I was younger and didn't yet have my passion for music (at that point I was just in band to be like my cousin) or any social life (how much the many social lives I have built up have fallen flat on their face *sigh*)

I just posted a similar experience - except I was 14, not 8! I literally bawled. My parents tried to tell me it was just a game, but I couldn't see it. It was - weirdly enough - my life at that point. >.<

Thinking back on these things makes me realize why I feel so 'cold' to games these days. It would be hard to top the emotional attachment that I had to Animal Crossing GCN back when I was younger and didn't yet have my passion for music (at that point I was just in band to be like my cousin) or any social life (how much the many social lives I have built up have fallen flat on their face *sigh*)

That's how Nintendo gets you. They make you buy their games, you fall in love, and then they crush your dreams.
They crush them so hard.

Okay, picture this.

Oh my GOD. This sucks so much :( I'm so sorry.

It's not animal crossing related but I had this happen with my GBC copy of Pokemon Silver before I knew you could back that stuff up. Lost my shiny ninetales too. ><

I went back into Animal Crossing: City Folk and one of my favorite villagers, Aurora was moving out and I couldn't convince her to stay no matter how many times I spoke with her. I haven't gone back to the town since.

My saddest moment in New Leaf is probably when I stopped playing once marching band started in summer. I played for like a month and a half and only played New Leaf with my sister. We had a lot of fun, but after that we stopped playing as heavily.

I would say that my saddest Animal Crossing moment isn't so much a single moment, but more of a common theme among people that know I play.

Whether it was playing the OG game on the Gamecube or playing in my dorm room now, I've been hard-pressed to find anyone that takes the game, or me playing it, seriously at all. It doesn't help that I'm a grown man now (scruffy beard and all), but most people I talk to say things like "what do you even do in that game?" or "isn't that for kids?"

The AC series has gotten me through my tough mental illnesses and I would even consider it therapeutic for me. It's hard sometimes to go out in public in fear that people will look at me and think negatively of playing a game that has such a special place in my heart. I wish I knew people to play with and people that understand and appreciate the AC universe as much as I do, but that's why I'm so thankful for communities like this one.

also deleting my town with portia in it why was I so stupid

In AC:CF I spur-of-the-moment reset and was devastated. Of course I was young and didn't do much but chat with my villagers (Ch?vre, Francine and Nibbles are the only ones I remember) and I still had the tiny house since I didn't know how to make money, I would just imagine scenarios that would happen between me and my villagers and create soap-opera like drama :p

But regardless I was very sad to have deleted it just moments later.

A few other sad things:
-in ACNL I was the last person in my group of friends to obtain a villager picture even though I loved my villagers. This was way back when the game came out though.
-this person who was always mean to everyone in the group but was respected for some reason outbid me on my dreamie just so I wouldn't get her
-after that group of friends grew apart over time I've always felt lonely since I only wifi for trades now, and that's why I joined the website so I could have friends to wifi with again.

Last edited:
I would say that my saddest Animal Crossing moment isn't so much a single moment, but more of a common theme among people that know I play.

Whether it was playing the OG game on the Gamecube or playing in my dorm room now, I've been hard-pressed to find anyone that takes the game, or me playing it, seriously at all. It doesn't help that I'm a grown man now (scruffy beard and all), but most people I talk to say things like "what do you even do in that game?" or "isn't that for kids?"

The AC series has gotten me through my tough mental illnesses and I would even consider it therapeutic for me. It's hard sometimes to go out in public in fear that people will look at me and think negatively of playing a game that has such a special place in my heart. I wish I knew people to play with and people that understand and appreciate the AC universe as much as I do, but that's why I'm so thankful for communities like this one.

also deleting my town with portia in it why was I so stupid

Animal Crossing was a formidable coping mechanism for me as well, and continues to be as daily life becomes more and more stressful. Just knowing I had "friends" that were "there" for me, albeit virtual and non-sentient, still puts a big grin on my face. It even led me to find this community, where I met some pretty great people.

Animal Crossing is definitely therapeutic.

My story isn't just sad for me but it is plain cruel. I went to the internet island before the update when you could still exchange friend codes. Somebody asked me if they could buy a wetsuit for 1 million bells. I was poor at the time so duh I said yes. However I should have waited to know this person a little longer. I dropped my gold fishing rod by the train station earlier to pick up fruit and I forgot all about it and left it there. I opened my gate excited to get my bells. However I never got my bells. I lost almost every single hybrid flower in my town, my gold fishing rod, and the wetsuit. If I had known what "Can I look around?" meant on the internet I would have crashed it. But being my casual self I just went to the store to sell something and went outside to "Somebody is leaving". What made my day even worse is that Bob (my fave at the time) was moving the next day. I hope people learn from my experience not to just do stuff for money or bells even if it is a game.

Today when I realized Ricky moved in xD I had my 10th villager spot open and did a trade with someone. Def not blaming them, they had no idea since it was a villager they voided before and then they had another villager move and get adopted. But anyway, since I really wasn't expecting it and since I had JUST gotten past a previous unwanted move-in, I felt really saddened when I saw the plot. I have no amiibo cards I could use to kick him out and I had a problem getting previous last-move-ins to move out (as in, they never did), seems I'm stuck with Ricky for the foreseeable future. It could be worse, honestly. The previous unwanted move-in really made me hate my game because I was so obsessed with getting her out, so I've decided to just let it go this time and not stress. I don't want to hate AC again.
I guess it was just that initial moment of realization that was tough xD

Last edited:
Back