• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Color Charts and Shading Tips

vampiricrogue

Retro Braniac
Bells
Yellow Feather
Red Feather
White Feather
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
Rainbow Feather
Silver Trophy (Second Place)
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Blue Feather
Silver Trophy (Second Place)
I didn't see a guide on here on the color charts, just what people made from them. So I will post up a couple images of just the charts so people don't have to constantly look back and forth between one thing to the next.

The first step into making a pattern on animal crossing is to understand artwork to some degree. Although not everyone has the ability to learn such a task does not mean that you still can not gain the knowledge in how until the day you feel like trying it yourself. If you wish to copy along this particular post with your own sheet of paper and pencil, then your more then welcome to.

Think of this as Drawing101, but you do not have to pay $385 up front to any collage course to do so.

Below you will see basic shapes that you may or may not recognize. I will label each one as we go along.

circle1.jpg

Circle

triangle1.jpg

Triangle

square1.jpg

Square

cone1.jpg

Cone

Basic shapes, yet somehow they are missing character. Well, that is easy to fix... and i am not just talking about putting it in 3D, but shading it, and shadowing it.

Sounds hard, but it is actuilly quite simple. What you do is take a look around you. The shapes I listed are everywhere, and even more that I did not list. Simple observation of one item can lead to thousands of possibilities. Although I will not be teaching you how to draw animie or "correct" human artwork, I will at least be teaching you how to vision objects around you and use it to your advantage.

The first thing that you will observe is shading. What crates shading in a real object is no different then what creates shading in said artwork, this includes animal crossing patterns. What you do is start with a light, contacted squiggle, and gradually add pressure as you continue down the paper to make said lines darker. This is what we will call a shade twister (mainly because when your done it just might look like one, although you can tell I purposely exaggerated my example for humor.)

shadetornado.jpg

Start light and work your way to dark first, this will take several tries to get it right, or even several pages if you have nothing else to do.

Next, you look once again to said shape... let's use the cone as an example.

cone1.jpg

So lifeless, and yet, using this shading placement, you can create it into a 3D object in no time!

cone2.jpg

The arrow represents the direction the light is coming from. It will serve as a mental guideline to assist you on your quest to create good looking shapes for your practice sheets.

circle1.jpg

circle2.jpg

triangle1.jpg

triangle2.jpg

square1.jpg

square2.jpg

Notice that as the shape is designed depends on how the shading takes effect. On a round surface, it gradually turns dark to the area where light is not directly facing it. The square for example with its many sides, is one of the easiest to work with. You have solid, flat colors on each side of the cube without the real effect of fading around a said round surface (like the cone or the circle). The flat side, facing away from the arrow, is the darkest part, while the side of the cube itself tends to linger in the center due to light from the other direction (also indicated by an arrow).

Using this basic idea, you can combine any shape you want to put together, and create 3D looking effects.

Now at this point you may be wondering what does this have to do with animal crossing patterns? Plenty, especially if you want to perform something like this:

atlantis-baseflag.gif

This is the image I created a couple days ago for the Atlantean Knights group on the TBT, as a base background before all of the forwards are put in. The image is of the sun beaming down into what appears to be a mass of water... gradually going lighter as you look up to he surface... doesn't the sun look promising from down here?

Here is a blank diagram screen, made by Microsoft Paint many months ago, and the base I use for all of my designs, so to save painstakingly horrible hours on the Wii by performing the same tasks directly on the computer itself; then you can simply compare which colors went where when you put it n the game for faster results.

animalcrossingcityfolk-blankbox.gif

Here you will see all 16 color charts, and you can have three to pick from to use at your convenience.

These were taken from the DSi, it will give the vintage digital, yet streaked colors.

accfpictures.jpg

Here is the Microsoft Paint version of the color charts. If you want a clean color thats easy to mess with on your computer, then this one is the way to go.

animalcrossinfcityfolkcolorchart-to.gif

The third one is still in the making, which will contain direct pictures from the in-game camera if you do not feel the other two are good enough for your style.

RUU_0172.jpg

RUU_0173.jpg

RUU_0174.jpg

RUU_0175.jpg

RUU_0176.jpg

RUU_0177.jpg

RUU_0178.jpg

RUU_0179.jpg

RUU_0180.jpg

RUU_0181.jpg

RUU_0182.jpg

RUU_0183.jpg

RUU_0184.jpg

RUU_0185.jpg

RUU_0186.jpg

RUU_0187.jpg

OakRidgeFlag-mini.jpg

Realistic enough for a game worth playing. You can create your own patterns, or you can go about and look for other's artwork.

Here is a list of links or patterns, donated or discovered-----------------

Animal Crossing Grids for Able Sisters
http://louweejee.tripod.com/grids.html

How to get a photo into Animal Crossing: City Folk
http://www.aeropause.com/2009/02/how-to-get-a-photo-into-animal-crossing-city-folk/

Charizard
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/358/3/d/Animal_Crossing_Pattern_27_by_AnimalCrossing101.jpg

NES Link
http://gaygamer.net/images/LinkAnimal.jpg

Link donated by: cryindarkness
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/007/b/3/ACCF_Pro_Pattern__Pikmin_Shirt_by_AngstyGuy.jpg

Great, a troll. Who invited you in here? Does the title say "complaint center"?! Does the title even say that im remotely close to being done with this thingo to make proper edits at this point?

ME THINKS NOT! :throwingrottenapples:

Perhaps if you get your windows off 600x800 then you'd have less to complain about.

-edit line-
Considering you asked so "nicely", Troll, how do i make a spoiler?

Well i still keep my statement that -Ryan- is a complainer that wants attention, cos i wasn't even done with this thread int he first place and he "openly" posted like a jerkoff.

You, cry, i don't mind. But Ih ave a hundred other things i could be doing, and here a forum troll comes in before i even state that im DONE?!

Jesus you people.

Edit Line---
I almost want to restart this thread because of that troll.

Mr_Hobo said:
Pointless.
Nick..this thread actually helps if you're making detailed patterns instead of fliping through the charts in the games.

i was actually going to give artwork tips in it too since people liked my patterns, but ya know--after several complainers, i almost hope ya guys suffer without this info.

vampiricrogue said:
Well i still keep my statement that -Ryan- is a complainer that wants attention, cos i wasn't even done with this thread int he first place and he "openly" posted like a jerkoff.

You, cry, i don't mind. But Ih ave a hundred other things i could be doing, and here a forum troll comes in before i even state that im DONE?!

Jesus you people.

Edit Line---
OMG! What the hell is your problem? I just asked you to put the colorcharts in a spoiler you jerk! :throwingrottenapples:

-Ryan- said:
vampiricrogue said:

Jesus you people.

Edit Line---
OMG! What the hell is your problem? I just asked you to put the colorcharts in a spoiler you jerk! :throwingrottenapples:
-Ryan-
just GTFO.

cryindarkness said:
-Ryan- said:
vampiricrogue said:

Jesus you people.

Edit Line---
-Ryan-
just GTFO.
Gladly since that girl don't get what a simple question is <_<

Awesome ^_^ .
COuldn't you use the in game picture? I think when your making a design you can take a picture of the pallet. Then it could be clearer.

IceZtar said:
Awesome ^_^ .
COuldn't you use the in game picture? I think when your making a design you can take a picture of the pallet. Then it could be clearer.
it was still in the process--on the fly idea, but i got to many complainers, so i might restart this thread, or just not do it at all cos of the forum trolls.

Back