• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Any Musical Theatre Fans Out There?

Tokkidokie

Bells
I've loved musical theatre since I was a kid (I used to drive my dad crazy jumping around with my cousin playing "Magical Mister Mistoffelees" on loop. It was a CD of Broadway's Greatest Hits, but I legitimately couldn't tell you for sure what the rest of the soundtrack was haha) and thought it'd be cool to meet other people with the same passion and get to know each other with some questions:

1. What was the first musical you ever saw live?

2. What is your favourite musical(s)?

3. Perhaps controversial, but what is your least favourite musical? (No judgement, everyone is entitled to their opinion).

4. What was the most recent musical you saw, live or otherwise?

5. If you could only listen to one soundtrack for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

6. If you starred in a musical, who would be your dream co-star?

7. If you had to sing a showtune, what would be your go-to song?

8. Watch a live show; souvenirs: yay or nay?

9. What's your opinion of made for tv remakes of popular musicals?

10. Are you excited for the release of the original Broadway cast recording of Hamilton on Disney+, yes or yes? Lol

If anyone has any other questions they want to ask everyone feel free to share! It's late at night I can't think of anything else to ask right now XD

-------‐‐---------------------------------

1. The Sound of Music in elementary school. I learned to play Do Re Mi on the piano and it's the only thing I remember how to play in it's entirety (clearly not a piano prodigy).

2. Elisabeth (I've watched it five times in two langauges, live and online. It's unfortunately never been translated into English), Dear Evan Hansen, and Hamilton.

3. Despite "Magical Mister Mistoffelees" being one of my favourite songs since childhood, I've never actually liked Cats. It's not really my type of muscial, despite having some quite catchy songs. I refuse to ever lay eyes on the film.

4. I was lucky enough to finally see Hamilton before the pandemic shut everything down. My most recent should have been Les Miserables, but it was cancelled due to said pandemic.

5. I can't even answer my own question lol. To be determined not at midnight 😅

6. RAMIN KARIMLOO. He is SO talented. His voice is AMAZING. He's also very handsome lol.

7. I love singing "Waving Through a Window" and "Sincerely, Me" from Dear Evan Hansen.

8. I collect keychains and magnets from every live show I see.

9. I personally am not fond of them. A lot of times they cast famous non-musical singers to get views and sometimes those singers really can't hold a candle to their professional musical theater castmates.

10. LESLIE ODOM JR. CHRISTOPHER JACKSON. YAAAAASSSSSSSS.

Aww man, idk why this thread has no love! Well, I’m gonna show it some right now.I’m a huge musical theatre kid! I watched a lot of musicals and was in several as well, both at my high school and at a community theatre.
I've loved musical theatre since I was a kid (I used to drive my dad crazy jumping around with my cousin playing "Magical Mister Mistoffelees" on loop. It was a CD of Broadway's Greatest Hits, but I legitimately couldn't tell you for sure what the rest of the soundtrack was haha) and thought it'd be cool to meet other people with the same passion and get to know each other with some questions:

3. Perhaps controversial, but what is your least favourite musical? (No judgement, everyone is entitled to their opinion).

5. If you could only listen to one soundtrack for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

10. Are you excited for the release of the original Broadway cast recording of Hamilton on Disney+, yes or yes? Lol

If anyone has any other questions they want to ask everyone feel free to share! It's late at night I can't think of anything else to ask right now XD

-------‐‐---------------------------------
1. I’ve been going to ones at a local theatre forever, so I can’t say which the first one I saw there was, but the first broadway musical I saw was Wicked, and it was incredible. I got to drink green elixir while watching (i think it was green apple flavored?)

2. Some of my favorites are Beauty and the Beast, Hamilton, The Addams Family, Mean Girls, Wicked, Sister Act (the stage show, not the movie), Les Mis (the stage show, not the movie), and Heathers

3.I’m not a huge fan of some of the “classics” like Guys and Dolls or The Music Man. I know that’s a toasty hot opinion, but a lot of the roles for girls in those suck - there are almost none - and the jokes don’t age well at all - casual sexism/racism and references that aren’t popular anymore. It’s not that I haven’t seen them, I have. I just don’t like them as much.

4. Most recent was Shrek the Musical, lol. It was surprisingly great! The actors at my local theatre were incredible.

5. Hamilton. There are so many layers to every lyric, I could analyze it forever.

6. Lin-Manuel Miranda ( I love his energy and general vibe) or Jeremy Jordan (although I’d be drooling over him the whole time tbh)

7. Something to Believe In (Newsies), Beautiful (Heathers), Dead Girl Walking (Heathers), Watch What Happens (Newsies -this is my go to shower anthem), Crazier Than You (The Addams Family).

8.Yess, I’m super sentimental. Anything is good.
9. They’re iffy... stage recordings are good but the movies are usually meh. I feel like the random singing makes more sense on a stage, and feels out of place in a movie. Like you said, the actors usually can’t sing half as well.
10. oh my gosh yes, it actually comes out on my birthday and I haven’t seen it, so happy birthday to me!!

I enjoy a good musical, but I wouldn't say that I'm a musical theatre fan necessarily because I'm not in fandom. I have bought many tickets for musicals though, and I love the music, production, and costuming the most!

Besides any school musicals, it was Wicked! I went with a friend of mine to a production put on by a touring company. I remember really enjoying the show because I was a huge fan of a lot of the L. Frank Baum books.

I have a really soft spot for Grease and High School Musical because of the movies! They're just pure fun and always make me smile.

I don't think I know enough about musical theatre to have a least favourite, in that if I see a musical I don't think I like, I won't buy tickets for it or watch it on TV! From what I know about Cats though, I know I would probably hate it and not be able to sit through a show of it.

There's just... no plot whatsoever. And yes, musicals are about the music and dancing but they also have to have at least a decent story to keep the audience invested, and Cats just lacks that entirely.

The last live musical I saw was Hamilton in London! I was really fortunate to be able to buy last minute tickets online, and I would recommend this for anyone who wants to see Hamilton or the Cursed Child if you're in London, because that's how I got tickets to see both with my mom!

I purchased tickets to both from TodayTix about a week before our trip - I think people usually recommend that you look a week or two in advance and are flexible about the date/location of your seat. They're a legitimate ticket vendor that sells leftover tickets that theatres have held onto for whatever reason, or tickets that people have sold back to the theatre if they can no longer attend the show. 10/10 would recommend!

Probably Hamilton. I love how the musical incorporates both rap and singing, and I think the soundtrack tells the story of the musical particularly well.

Lea Salonga! Imagine being able to say that you've starred alongside the actor who's provided not one, but two voices for the Disney Princesses!

I think I could do a good parody of Memory from Cats. I'll add in all the melodrama, put on a pair of cat ears, and hopefully make up for my atrocious singing with some humour?

Yay! Musicals are expensive, and you might only get to see your favourite musical once. If you have a plan for your souvenir, why not? I think it'd be nice to at least try and get a program or Playbill on Broadway.

I like them! I think they're a great way to expose new audiences to musicals, and help bridge the accessibility gap of musical theatre. Seeing high caliber performances can be really expensive - plus, local troupes (while talented) only can do so many shows in a year, and it can still be somewhat expensive to see them depending on if they charge for tickets.

I'm not really a musical theatre purist or heavily attached to any particular staging or interpretation of a musical, so it doesn't really matter too much to me. So long as they hire actors who are capable for the role they are playing. I don't mind if they're not musical theatre professionals per se.

I wasn't really waiting for the recording to come out or anything? But it's nice that it'll be releasing soon! I know a lot of people were really excited about it.

I really only know Les Miserables and love it. I have loved it ever since we did a marching band show of it in high school. I remember my mom bought me a CD and I just kept on listening to it (back in those days when MP3 players were brand new and fancy, so I had only a portable CD player lol).

I've seen two versions of it live: One put on by local talent and second the official broadway show (last year).

I would never want to be a singer or really be in the cast. However, it would be super cool to perform in the pit orchestra for Les Miserables! Les Miserables is the reason that I originally took notice of the oboe/English horn and first wanted to play the instrument. So playing oboe/English horn in it would be the dream.

I love phantom of the Opera. Ive watched it 3 times in my home town, once in Vegas, once in Broadway, and Pre-Covid I was supposed to go watch it at the Royal Albert Hall.

wicked, on broadway, when i was 10-11. it was my first trip to new york city.

the book of mormon and newsies!

i don't really have a least favorite tbh. unless there's something i've completely blocked out of memory.

i watched the johnny depp sweeney todd movie a couple weeks ago! it was good

hmm, mamma mia, probably. good vibes all around!

i don't follow actors too much, but when i was super into bom i really loved all of the actors in the jumamosi tour! i love kevin clay a whole lot, but if i were to star in book of mormon, i'd want jordan matthew brown to be my elder cunningham. 🥰

anything from newsies! most likely carrying the banner, king of new york, or letter from the refuge.

yea!! i got socks when i saw book of mormon live, though i wish i got the planet orlando shirt so bad.

i don't see any harm in it, as long as they don't change the plot majorly, but nothing can replace the charm and wonder of seeing something on stage. i would much rather broadway productions be professionally filmed.

i don't really have an opinion, as i haven't seen hamilton and i know it's controversial, but i am glad that such a big and popular musical is getting a professional shot and available for streaming/purchase. i hope this becomes normalized among broadway productions so the genre is more accessible to people who can't afford tour tickets and/or travel expenses.

Beauty and the beast

Phantom of the opera forsure!!!

Honestly I’m not really sure I love all the ones I’ve seen

4. What was the most recent musical you saw, live or otherwise? I was in the musical catch me if you can but it got canceled due to COVID-19 if that counts!

phantom of the opera, I always sing it in the shower haha

I don’t pay attention to actors as much as music artists but if I choose a music artist I’d go with Patrick stump just because of his strong voice

7. If you had to sing a showtune, what would be your go-to song? Candy store from heathers or almost there in princess and the frog if that counts! I sing those all the time

Maybe depends on the show

9. What's your opinion of made for tv remakes of popular musicals? I love them!!!

10. Are you excited for the release of the original Broadway cast recording of Hamilton on Disney+, yes or yes? IM SO EXCITED!!! My friend messaged me in all caps yesterday telling me and I was sooooo happy

First Professional performance was Something Rotten. First high school performance was She Loves Me.

Book of Mormon and Anastasia

Hamilton

Anastasia I think.

Nah. The playbill is enough

Indifferent.

I'll watch it eventually. I saw in theaters twice already.

Aww man, idk why this thread has no love! Well, I’m gonna show it some right now.I’m a huge musical theatre kid! I watched a lot of musicals and was in several as well, both at my high school and at a community theatre.

1. I’ve been going to ones at a local theatre forever, so I can’t say which the first one I saw there was, but the first broadway musical I saw was Wicked, and it was incredible. I got to drink green elixir while watching (i think it was green apple flavored?)

2. Some of my favorites are Beauty and the Beast, Hamilton, The Addams Family, Mean Girls, Wicked, Sister Act (the stage show, not the movie), Les Mis (the stage show, not the movie), and Heathers

3.I’m not a huge fan of some of the “classics” like Guys and Dolls or The Music Man. I know that’s a toasty hot opinion, but a lot of the roles for girls in those suck - there are almost none - and the jokes don’t age well at all - casual sexism/racism and references that aren’t popular anymore. It’s not that I haven’t seen them, I have. I just don’t like them as much.

4. Most recent was Shrek the Musical, lol. It was surprisingly great! The actors at my local theatre were incredible.

5. Hamilton. There are so many layers to every lyric, I could analyze it forever.

6. Lin-Manuel Miranda ( I love his energy and general vibe) or Jeremy Jordan (although I’d be drooling over him the whole time tbh)

7. Something to Believe In (Newsies), Beautiful (Heathers), Dead Girl Walking (Heathers), Watch What Happens (Newsies -this is my go to shower anthem), Crazier Than You (The Addams Family).

8.Yess, I’m super sentimental. Anything is good.
9. They’re iffy... stage recordings are good but the movies are usually meh. I feel like the random singing makes more sense on a stage, and feels out of place in a movie. Like you said, the actors usually can’t sing half as well.
10. oh my gosh yes, it actually comes out on my birthday and I haven’t seen it, so happy birthday to me!!

Yay! Thank you! :D I admit that I was kind of bummed out that no one had replied since musical theatre is such a passion of mine. I was never in any performances myself due to crippling stage fright (though in retrospect I wish I had pushed myself to be more courageous)...very bad experience with a piano instructor, but we won't get into that 😅 I DO however love to belt out showtunes at home and in the car.

I am envious that yoi have seen Les Mis live since the production here in Toronto was cancelled due to Covid. There has unfortunately been no news of rescheduling, unlike other shows.

I definitely agree with you on the dislike of certain "classics". Some of them definitely haven't aged well at all.

For #5 I think I'd chose the Hamilton soundtrack as well. Lin-Manuel Miranda is such a genius in how he infused hip-hop with history in order to make it more accessible to younger generations and really anyone, especially those maybe outside the States who aren't familiar at all with US political history. A musical that provides knowledge as well as entertainment is a treasure indeed! I've finally mastered the Guns and Ships raps so I can tick that off the bucket list haha.

And WHAT AN AMAZING BIRTHDAY PRESENT OMG. Happy early birthday to you! :D
Post automatically merged:

I enjoy a good musical, but I wouldn't say that I'm a musical theatre fan necessarily because I'm not in fandom. I have bought many tickets for musicals though, and I love the music, production, and costuming the most!

Besides any school musicals, it was Wicked! I went with a friend of mine to a production put on by a touring company. I remember really enjoying the show because I was a huge fan of a lot of the L. Frank Baum books.

I have a really soft spot for Grease and High School Musical because of the movies! They're just pure fun and always make me smile.

I don't think I know enough about musical theatre to have a least favourite, in that if I see a musical I don't think I like, I won't buy tickets for it or watch it on TV! From what I know about Cats though, I know I would probably hate it and not be able to sit through a show of it.

There's just... no plot whatsoever. And yes, musicals are about the music and dancing but they also have to have at least a decent story to keep the audience invested, and Cats just lacks that entirely.

The last live musical I saw was Hamilton in London! I was really fortunate to be able to buy last minute tickets online, and I would recommend this for anyone who wants to see Hamilton or the Cursed Child if you're in London, because that's how I got tickets to see both with my mom!

I purchased tickets to both from TodayTix about a week before our trip - I think people usually recommend that you look a week or two in advance and are flexible about the date/location of your seat. They're a legitimate ticket vendor that sells leftover tickets that theatres have held onto for whatever reason, or tickets that people have sold back to the theatre if they can no longer attend the show. 10/10 would recommend!

Probably Hamilton. I love how the musical incorporates both rap and singing, and I think the soundtrack tells the story of the musical particularly well.

Lea Salonga! Imagine being able to say that you've starred alongside the actor who's provided not one, but two voices for the Disney Princesses!

I think I could do a good parody of Memory from Cats. I'll add in all the melodrama, put on a pair of cat ears, and hopefully make up for my atrocious singing with some humour?

Yay! Musicals are expensive, and you might only get to see your favourite musical once. If you have a plan for your souvenir, why not? I think it'd be nice to at least try and get a program or Playbill on Broadway.

I like them! I think they're a great way to expose new audiences to musicals, and help bridge the accessibility gap of musical theatre. Seeing high caliber performances can be really expensive - plus, local troupes (while talented) only can do so many shows in a year, and it can still be somewhat expensive to see them depending on if they charge for tickets.

I'm not really a musical theatre purist or heavily attached to any particular staging or interpretation of a musical, so it doesn't really matter too much to me. So long as they hire actors who are capable for the role they are playing. I don't mind if they're not musical theatre professionals per se.

I wasn't really waiting for the recording to come out or anything? But it's nice that it'll be releasing soon! I know a lot of people were really excited about it.

My interpretation of fan is just someone who enjoys watching or participating in musical theatre as I'm not a part of any musical fandom at all too. Idk why I was so mindblown, when I read your comment, of the fact that musical theatre fandom exists because of course it exists as there's like fandom for anything that provides entertainment 😅

I am guilty of never having seen or read Wicked. I am a voracious reader and years ago was gifted beautiful hardcover edition of the book, but for some reason never read it? I should find it and start.

I am with you on Grease! I was first exposed to it through the film and was so shocked to learn later that Greased Lightning was actually Kenickie's song! I got the aniniversary edition where the DVD had it's own little leather Greaser's jacket and was devestated when my dog decided it would make a great chew toy (sliding it on and off was a pain so it was never on the actual case itself 98% of the time).

I agree with you RE: Cats. There is just a tiny inkling of plot, but it's literally just an endless giant introduction and description of different cats. I however DO admire the artistry and athleticism required for all the dancing the cats do, but even so still wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I personally don't understand how that musical has received such love.

The Cursed Child was cancelled here due to Covid 😭 I need to check my emails to see if a rescheduling agreement was made. I'm kind of on the fence about seeing it though due to the scandals surrounding JKR though. That has nothing to do with the conpany and crew, but it doesn't sit very well with me the thought of her receiving a penny from me.

I keep every programe of every musical I've been to. I've never tried to wait to get autographs for them though because I usually go to the evening shows because of work and my commute home is quite long. I put every keychain I buy on a little tabletop Christmas tree that I keep up year round 😊

Last edited:
I really only know Les Miserables and love it. I have loved it ever since we did a marching band show of it in high school. I remember my mom bought me a CD and I just kept on listening to it (back in those days when MP3 players were brand new and fancy, so I had only a portable CD player lol).

I've seen two versions of it live: One put on by local talent and second the official broadway show (last year).

I would never want to be a singer or really be in the cast. However, it would be super cool to perform in the pit orchestra for Les Miserables! Les Miserables is the reason that I originally took notice of the oboe/English horn and first wanted to play the instrument. So playing oboe/English horn in it would be the dream.

If there is only one musical to know, Les Mis is an excellent choice!! My favourite musical actor (Ramin Karimloo) has been in the show multiple times, so it has a dear place in my heart and I hope to see it performes live one day.

That's so amazing that the musical is what sparked your interest in playing your instruments. The orchestra are eally the (often overlooked) unsung heroes. I really enjoy shows in which the area the orchestra is worked into the set so that they are visibly present or when they are incorporated into and participate in numbers with the cast.

Come From Away and The Band's Visit are two amazing shows that incorporate the orchestra with the cast to perform directly on stage. Some of the musicians in TBV also have speaking and singing parts which was really quite lovely and added such great layers to the show. The non-singing/speaking musicians are also always on stage playing which I thought was great as well :D

I love phantom of the Opera. Ive watched it 3 times in my home town, once in Vegas, once in Broadway, and Pre-Covid I was supposed to go watch it at the Royal Albert Hall.
I LOVE phantom. The 25th anniversary performances so dear to me because of Ramin Karimloo ♡

I've unfortunately never seen it live. I was contemplating going on the last leg of its tour here in Toronto, but then the pandemic happened. Since it was almost over I don't know if the theatre execs will try to reschedule 😭 That's so amazing that you've had the opportunity to see it live so many times!

If there is only one musical to know, Les Mis is an excellent choice!! My favourite musical actor (Ramin Karimloo) has been in the show multiple times, so it has a dear place in my heart and I hope to see it performes live one day.

That's so amazing that the musical is what sparked your interest in playing your instruments. The orchestra are eally the (often overlooked) unsung heroes. I really enjoy shows in which the area the orchestra is worked into the set so that they are visibly present or when they are incorporated into and participate in numbers with the cast.

Come From Away and The Band's Visit are two amazing shows that incorporate the orchestra with the cast to perform directly on stage. Some of the musicians in TBV also have speaking and singing parts which was really quite lovely and added such great layers to the show. The non-singing/speaking musicians are also always on stage playing which I thought was great as well :D

I LOVE phantom. The 25th anniversary performances so dear to me because of Ramin Karimloo ♡

I've unfortunately never seen it live. I was contemplating going on the last leg of its tour here in Toronto, but then the pandemic happened. Since it was almost over I don't know if the theatre execs will try to reschedule 😭 That's so amazing that you've had the opportunity to see it live so many times!
Yess, the 25th anniversary version is my favorite as well! I love Sierra Boggess as well.

The Lion King at the West End theatre in London.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I've seen it countless times with various casts.

n/a

The King and I at the King's Theatre in Glasgow.

Taboo

I wouldn't want to star in a musical!

n/a

n/a

Down for it.

Wasn't even aware of it until now.

I watched Les Miserables and I swear I fricking CRIED the moment the curtains opened and revealed the set and Look Down started

Les Miserables, Hamilton, some songs in Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera. Do movie musicals count? If so, I love Moulin Rouge and Chicago (I've never listened to the Broadway recordings, only the movie soundtrack), and Hairspray. There are a few others I enjoyed but I can't remember the names since they weren't super famous. There was one about a society where you had to pay to go to the bathroom? That was a good one. Also I'm not sure if we're counting cartoon/Disney musicals but I loved the soundtrack of Prince of Egypt, Lion King 1 AND 2, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, and Mulan.

I can't think of one I truly didn't enjoy 100%? Maybe Lalaland? I liked a few songs but a lot of it, especially closer to the beginning, I didn't enjoy at all.

I can't remember D: It's been a while to be honest..

That's hard T_T I would say Les Miserables.. But I also really love Chicago and Hamilton sooo much I don't think I could ever stop listening to those..

Lea Salonga. She is such an amazing singer! But ALSO Philip Quast, Colm Wilkinson, Alun Armstrong and Jenny Galloway (BEST Thenardiers EVER), Michael Ball, and Michael Maguire <3 Basically the entire cast of The Dream Cast 10th Anniversary Concert of Les Miserables. I love them sooo much.

For a solo, maybe On My Own? But I would actually loooove to be a part of singing One Day More (Eponine's part) because that song just sounds super epic with all the harmonies and parts!

When I watched Les Miserables, I literally bought *every* shirt plus the cast book AND a tote bag. So yes, I love souvenirs. Although now, I've become older and more frugal, I'd probably be a lot more picky, since I never actually used any of those things, except the 24601 shirt I bought for my boyfriend. We share that shirt hehe.

I'm all for it when done right. I think Chicago is a perfect example of a Broadway musical being brought to life on screen in the best way possible. But then it can also be done so horribly wrong.. hehe. I think it was such a mistake not to hire professional Broadway singers to star in Les Miserables (the movie) and to do it all live while filming. I think it worked well for I Dreamed a Dream because that performance was so emotional and raw, even if it wasn't sung perfectly. But for everything else? There wasn't a lot of power and emotion. The sets were nice at least? Lol

YES. I love Hamilton but I know I will never be able to afford tickets to go, so I would love to be able to watch a professional recording of the original cast ^_^

I think it was The Sound of Music? Just at a local community theatre

Annie and Hamilton

Honestly, I didn't enjoy Phantom of the Opera that much. I found it a bit boring.

I saw Dear Evan Hansen last April. RIP my Hamilton tickets that were consumed by COVID

Eh I'd get sick of anything if I listened to it too many times, I'd prefer not to do that

Lin Manuel-Miranda

Waving Through A Window

Nah

I don't have a strong opinion, they're ok

YES!!!

Last edited:
Back