• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Animal Crossing Debate: Is Time-Travelling Considered Cheating?

ZeldaCrossing64

So what?
Bells
Island
Newgrounds
Black Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Carnival Pinwheel
Spirit Candy: Wix
Purple Candy
Me personally, I don't think it is. If it was, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would've done something about it by now. even in certain AC games (like New Leaf), you can change the time within the game and not on the entire system. I usually do this to catch critters I missed, going to the shops (because I'm always playing so late in the evening), or to skip an important project that would otherwise take a day. Let me know what you think!

I consider it ‘not their intended method of play, but not something they’re actively excluding’ (with a couple notable exceptions.) There are, obviously, methods in place to keep you from time travelling to manipulate the stalk market, but that ‘very sensitive to time paradoxes’ line reads like tacit acceptance of the practice. Likewise, the update schedule for big holidays and time-gates on them was clearly meant to keep players from blitzing through all the holiday content in March, but once it is unlocked, you can go back a day in case you couldn’t play on Thanksgiving proper or Easter or whenever. Which is good - no one’s going to be trick-or-treating all night on Halloween, but a lot of younger kids aren’t going to consider playing a video game their highest priority when there’s a Candy Haul to sort, and only remember after the fact that there was something fun today. (You can tell that allowance for people not playing every day is built into the holidays this time around - all the smaller ones last a couple weeks despite having fairly short setups, because they’re designed to be played once but give plenty of time to do so. Bunny Day and Halloween build in a large leadup period to gather the resources you’ll need for the event proper, and Turkey Day’s resources aren’t restricted to the event period - if you know what you’re looking for in advance, you can have everything on hand before Turkey Day, and if you don’t but have time to spend doing errands for villagers you can get the rest that you need.)

It’s not the intended method of play, so I guess in that respect it’s ‘cheating’ of some form, but at the same time Animal Crossing is a completely noncompetitive game so the concept of cheating is irrelevant. The only thing where time manipulation would give you some kind of ‘edge’ over other players is turnips, which is why that’s one of the few things they actively precluded.

Now, granted, I do recommend using time travel wisely and sparingly - with a game designed to be played over years, blitzing through all the museum items or the like gives you a lot less to look forward to when you’re still looking for something else, like villager photos or a specific furniture set. Not that you’re Doing Animal Crossing Wrong, but it frequently ends up less enjoyable because the game’s very much designed to be a ‘stop and smell the roses’ thing. (Not that you can’t do it - if it works for you, it works for you - but a lot of people will roll your eyes if you do that and then complain there’s not enough art and it’s too easy to get or the like.) But if you really want your museum opened because there’s a ton of fish you need to donate crowding the tent around it, or you’ve been working late shifts and want to switch time so that shops are open when you can play, that’s what works for you and it’s fine. So long as you’re not making the game less enjoyable for yourself or others, there’s no harm in how you play.

I don't consider it cheating in the negative sense of the word. Time-traveling is manipulating the game in ways that I don't think the creators had intended, but it doesn't hurt anyone or give any major advantages. I don't consider myself a time-traveller because I don't skip around or jump forward, but I do set my system to a different time zone so I can play later in the evening and still visit the shops. I'm glad that I'm able to do that to work around my real life schedule and I have no problem with other players who adjust their time to suit themselves.

Last edited:
i have time traveled before and i actually used to time travel a lot when i played new leaf. time traveling isn’t the ideal way to play the game because in my opinion it takes away the excitement of waiting for things but i don’t think it’s cheating. i don’t time travel very much anymore but i occasionally do it if there’s something that i just can’t wait for.

I don't think time travel is considered cheating unless you're solely doing it to finish the game quickly and to abuse certain mechanics. I do have to admit I time-travel sometimes, but it's usually just 1-3 days to fix something I did the day before or to get something that I don’t want to wait for. I don't mind people that time travel, but for me I think it certainly takes the fun out of playing the game the regular way having to wait for things.

The only thing that I really think that makes time-travel cheating is time traveling crazy amounts of years to abuse the interest rate system to get lots of bells quickly. All in all, I think time traveling is ok.

Last edited:
I do time travel, and I do not consider it cheating. It’s not their preferred method of play, but it’s an option. It’s not like you have to go out of the way and hack. You do it from changing the time. It isn’t the same as hacking. I don’t hate anyone who does or doesn’t time travel. It’s not my business what other people do on their game that they bought with their money.

Last edited:
Nope. Nintendo acknowledges time travelling. Same with Croconaw, I think cheating for me is hacking your switch to get unlimited items instantly. You can't "abuse" the system with time travelling in the same way as you would with hacking because the with the former, you spend a lot of time changing the time and going through the daily morning cutscenes so there's still some effort required on your end.

some of the ac community definitely considers it to be cheating, but i personally don’t. i think that as long as it doesn’t harm anyone or affect their game/their enjoyment of it, people should play how they want, regardless of what others think or how nintendo may have intended for the game to be played.

For the purpose of this discussion, I think it's first and foremost important to define your terms. Cheating can have a variety of meanings depending largely on what the game is and how the element in question is used. For example, using unlimited ammo and invincibility in a game like GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 would be considered "cheating." In fact, they're literally listed as "Cheat Codes" in the game menu when you unlock the ability to use them in game. But as a result, in non-competitive play, you would be hard-pressed to find anybody who takes serious issue with it. But there are a number of known exploits in something like Pokémon that don't involve any kind of third-party trickery and are still widely considered, at the very least, dishonest. So in order to properly frame this argument, I'm going to offer a few different definitions of cheating, since I don't think one definition is going to cut it. The question, then, should be is time traveling in Animal Crossing...

1. ...using a method of play that is beyond the intention of the developers in order to gain rewards that others would have to work for?
In this regard, time traveling is definitely cheating. I'm aware that Nintendo has commented on this before, stating that they don't consider it to be, but I feel the framing of that statement was more to do with the freedom of players to play the game in their own way, rather than whether or not that it violates the integrity of the game. Otherwise, if Nintendo saw it as an intentional feature, I think they would find a more organic way to implement it into the game itself, rather than forcing you to fiddle with the console's back-end functions in order to accomplish it.

2. ...offering an unfair advantage in competitive play?
Animal Crossing is not a competitive game, so no.

3. ...having a tangible impact on the way other people experience the game?
This is where things get rather murky for me. Animal Crossing may not be a competitive game, but the difference between someone playing the game as intended and someone using time travel can be two completely different experiences. As a result, the latter could easily have an impact on the former when taking online functionality into account. Things that are not intended to be unveiled until a certain date are, for lack of a better word, spoiled for people who may have wished to see these events unfold throughout the course of a year instead of immediately.

I would argue that this is an inherent risk of connectivity, even in offline mode. In the GameCube days, this could happen if your friend simply had set the calendar on their console wrong, and I know many people who bought their console secondhand and never bothered to re-adjust the date and time, so it wasn't unheard of to just bare with (or even enjoy) events being out of season. And Animal Crossing isn't a narrative heavy game anyway, so I don't really feel like seeing the holiday events ahead of time would actually spoil anything. But I do empathize that there is a huge disconnect in terms of playstyle as a result. If one wants to play the game as intended--which includes the use of online play--they'll have to compete in that space with people who haven't, creating a noticeable impact on in-game economy and general understanding of the game by the wider community.

It creates a similar problem to Pokémon. I'm not unfamiliar with the amount of vitriol the fandom hurls towards players who use external applications to alter a Pokémon's stats in single player mode, but perhaps naively, I choose to believe the majority of people don't have a sincere moral dilemma about how people choose to experience the single player campaign of a game intended for children. Where things become problematic is in the global trade system, where hacked Pokémon are often traded as legitimate with-
A) no way for a layperson to immediately identify a hacked Pokémon from a real one.
B) no way for a layperson to immediately know that a hacked Pokémon is something they should even have to worry about receiving in the first place.

Pokémon, of course, is a different can of worms. Namely because it is a competitive game, so the consequences for using hacked Pokémon are far different than someone adjusting their clocks to manipulate in-game events in Animal Crossing. But my point is that--even for less harmful purposes--these differing playstyles are at odds with each other, and as of yet, there's not really been a comfortable solution to making it so that these discrepancies can remain more or less self-contained.

I've toyed with the idea that of having a voluntary marker that players can use to indicate whether they have used extra measures to achieve certain in-game feats and thus can be filtered out of search results for players who wish to opt out. The obvious problem with that, of course, is that not everyone's going to use it--whether because they simply didn't think to do so or because they're just outright dishonest people. But the bigger problem, in my opinion, is that in doing so, it creates a division within the game's community, which is not something I imagine the companies behind these properties would want to foster.

So to make a long story short, while time traveling in Animal Crossing may not have any competitive advantages, it does--in its own way-- have an impact on how others may play their own game.

The problem with the scope of this question is that cheating has a variety of meanings, each with different levels of impact. If anyone actually cares that I'm using cheats (that I emphasize, again, are unlockable in the actual game) to allow me to dual wield rocket launchers in GoldenEye because all I want to do is have fun blasting through levels and watching a series of loud, colorful explosions destroy everything in sight, or to use the infinite staircase glitch in Super Mario 64 because it's unbelievably entertaining to watch that game implode on itself because it was built on such a delicate framework, then... well, frankly, I don't give a toss. Those kinds of people are typically not arguing in good faith anyway.

And that, for the most part, is where I categorize time traveling in Animal Crossing, even if it does have an impact on online play however small. It's "cheating" but also I'm not sure why I should care. I personally don't time travel in Animal Crossing, not because it's dishonest or because it's cheating, but because I like the sensation of opening the game up and having something new to look forward to every day and to see the characters all celebrating Easter in their own adorable way on the same day as me. I also just like immersing myself in the characters having lives independent of my play schedule. To me, that makes the world of Animal Crossing a little more engaging and time travel would rob me of that.

But not everyone is like that. Some people don't have the time or patience for that sort of thing, and that's okay. But I feel like even that justification isn't really sufficient to explain why people might be drawn to playstyles that might be considered cheating anyway. One of my favorite things to do with games is to take a peek behind the curtain and see how the AI react to things far beyond what they're expecting, to see how difficult it is for them to adapt to something beyond its parameters, and simply to see how the game differs when you don't have the usual restrictions in place. It's just fun. And that's what games are designed to be at the end of the day.

In short, do I consider time traveling cheating? Yes. Do I think that's a bad thing? No. But nor do I consider it to be something that is completely self-contained or without external consequences.

No. There is no cheating in Animal Crossing. Play it however you want. Use a bloody cheating device, edit your save, mod your game, burn your cartridge, I don't care. Your game, you do what you want. "So, you've decided to move out? Get your own place? See the world? That's groovy. Who needs someone telling you what to do all the time? You can do what you want, when you want, where you want."

I would not say it is cheating but its definitely not the ✨cOrReCt✨ way to play. Nintendo has already done spoiling turnips, increased chances of weeds, bed-head, cockroaches, and more! They also made villagers kind of sad because you forgot them. But I think its fine if you do! If it makes you happy then go 5 billion years into the future for all I care! This game is made for you to enjoy your way so do just that!

As many many people have stated in the replies, i think ita not the intended or correct way or playing the game. I time travel a lot so im not saying this from a purist (?) point of view but it is manipulating an aspect of the game... However i dont think its CHEATING... If it was considered cheating im sure that nintendo would have put some penalizations on the game like they wouldnt give us thw opportunity to do it so easily... Its just speeding up the proccess of things that would eventually have hapoened anyway! The only thing i may consider cheating is hacking but i honestly dont mind that either like u can play the game however u want and ur not harming anyone so... Live ur best life

I time travel every time I play because I don't want to miss out on events, days, store hours, etc just because of work and life. I think pre-NH, people did more widely consider it "cheating" or "unfair" but they weren't necessarily against it? I think now, less people consider it cheating. For me it doesn't matter if it's cheating or not because I'm going to do it regardless. Unfortunately due to work I miss out on a lot of days and time-locked events so it's nice to be able to experience that on my own time when I'm free.

I don't considered it cheating. Even if it was, the games don't actively punish you for doing so, aside from turnips wilting in the games preceding NL, and events not happening (possibly because the player already time-travel to the day that particular event happened). It's backwards that Nintendo decided to revert back to the N64 days where the game operates on only one clock, and it's the one on the system, rather than the game having its own clock. Who keeps making these boneheaded decisions, and why do they still have a job?

I said this in a similar thread, but I'll post it here. Like others say, play the way you want to play it. I am kinda getting tired of this whole debate going on. Time traveling is your choice and its not going to hurt anyone. For me personally I only time travel if I want to get items ordered from my nook catalog and get them the next day, but I don't do it often so it doesn't learn to burnout on the game.

I don’t think time traveling is cheating. I did it all the time when I was younger. Now I don’t do it anymore, but I would if I had a reason. People debate about everything. It’s your game and you can do whatever you want. In my opinion, the primary goals in Animal Crossing are not affected by time traveling as you still have to work towards completing them (f.e. friendship with the villagers, in NL and NH customize your island, …).

Personally, I don't think "cheating" in Animal Crossing is really a thing. Like, there's no set goal in the game, so what would we be cheating for? People play it differently and time traveling is an efficient way to get certain things. So no, I do not believe time traveling should be considered cheating.

No, it's not cheating. In the old games you could change the day and time in the game itself. I used to have my game 6 hours ahead of time so that I could play in the evening til the night.

It's annoying when a new game releases and people go into the future to spoil every little thing, but some people also do that to write guides and stuff. But this is more of a people problem.

I'm a time traveler, but I start in the past and work myself towards today. I do not do it to gain an advantage, I just prefer to play like that as the regular way doesn't work for me and my schedule.

If you think people do that do gain the turnip system and make a profit, you'd have much better luck finding a good price online than go through your own days. You can also find seasonal items by trading with other players, so I don't think time traveling gives you an unique advantage.

I personally don't time travel but like others have said, it's just another way to play. I think it was definitely looked down on by developers early on in the series as I think back to the consequences in the OG release but NH makes it so easy and less damaging to your island.

Back