Am I playing this game the right way?!!!!?

There's no wrong way to play. You don't have to trade or do stocks, AC is one of the most versatile games you can play, honestly. There's no right or wrong way. If you want to play a day at a time solo, you can. If you want to TT heavily and have your island complete in a week, you can.

I think the initial intention was to share and trade with friends when it comes to the stalk market. It was always a thing since the GC game. People would share each other's memory cards if they got a high turnip price in their shop so they could visit to sell. It's just with the introduction of online play that made it feel like it's somehow playing too fast (or cheating to some), you have more people to share and interact with. Honestly, I don't do much of the online market. Only when I'm getting very low on bells, I'll play it so I can at least get a few 100k to start saving up again. There's plenty of people that go really hard at it though, the ones that will buy thousands turnips and sell them for at least in the high 500s every week. I doubt it was Nintendo's true intention for people to play the market like that, but it is what it is.

I can absolutely understand between friends and I would totally participate in it but when you have access to an entire online network, its not even fair game at this point.

This makes a lot of sense. Shed some light on this whole dilemna I'm having. I guess this is how gaming work nowadays but was never true intention by Nintendo. I can get on with that! Thank you! That a load off my shoulder.

It isn't wrong to play the game with multiplayer since it is a baked in option to the game. I have a tighter group of friends that I play with and I do seek out high turnip prices if I spent over a certain amount of bells on turnips. I mostly play with my husband regularly and I also like helping people out whi don't have the money to spend on real amiibo figures to get pictures of their favorites.

But, I mostly get things on my own. My friends think I'm the strange one when I have more than enough bells sitting in my savings to pay off my house loan. But, that's turnip money right there!

I also like having random villagers move into my plots. I did amiibo in Velma because I missed her. I also let my villagers move when they want 85% of the time.

So, no. You aren't the only person who likes to take it slow. I'm even debating about only having 8 villagers on my island at a time! 😁

I find that people get the most cranky when they think that another person is telling them how to play their game. Combine that with a lot of people stuck at home with everything going on and there will be disagreements.

I agree it is the opposite of the relaxing AC games of the past.

I think this one is based on PC, being a grind, and the absurdly high prices of things.

NMT's are the leaf tickets of NH.

I wish it was bells again. Just bells, and that Tortimer island was still in the game, where I could spend $1000 bells to have Kapp'n take me to a getaway where I could farm and store a great deal of caught items as many times a day as I wanted.

This game is a chore.
The fun was sucked out of it.

This game is not relaxing to me it makes me feel like I'm insane.. someone who's not very reputable people quote a lot saying you're insane to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.. I know that in actual most cases of life theres alway some sort of different result because no same thing happens twice but I'd expect that in a video game so why did it take me and so many others 3 days to find a map we liked? That was absolutely maddening and now I'm resetting again for another map and baught a second switch

I agree it is the opposite of the relaxing AC games of the past.

I think this one is based on PC, being a grind, and the absurdly high prices of things.

NMT's are the leaf tickets of NH.

I wish it was bells again. Just bells, and that Tortimer island was still in the game, where I could spend $1000 bells to have Kapp'n take me to a getaway where I could farm and store a great deal of caught items as many times a day as I wanted.

This game is a chore.
The fun was sucked out of it.

Breed hybrid flowers or wear the dodo shirt when traveling to mystery island which is likely to get you hybrid flowers. Plant them (make sure it blue, purple or black flowers) and watch peacock butterfly, sunset butterfly, rajah butterfly, arias butterfly fly by. Most of the time it just peacock butterfly but they sell for 3750 when Flick come to town. A full inventory (40 butterflies) is around 150K. If you catch say 80 butterflies a day (they respawn every 30 minutes I believe), that 300K right there. Far less exhausting then catching golden stag on Tortimer island.

What I do is my hybrid flowers garden is right next to the beach. So I wait for balloons every 10 minutes walking along the shoreline, at the same time digging for clams, fishing, and watching my flower patch for rare butterflies.

That my secret to making money in this game. Otherwise I would be broke. I lost 500K on turnips this week. Getting hybrid flowers island (blue windflowers) was the best thing to ever happen to me money wise in this game as I discover a secret that I wouldn't have otherwise. Prior to that I was making 50K a day. Now I could make 300K a day if I work hard enough. I rarely do though.

Breed hybrid flowers or wear the dodo shirt when traveling to mystery island which is likely to get you hybrid flowers. Plant them (make sure it blue, purple or black flowers) and watch pea**** butterfly, sunset butterfly, rajah butterfly, arias butterfly fly by. Most of the time it just pea**** butterfly but they sell for 3750 when Flick come to town. A full inventory (40 butterflies) is around 150K. If you catch say 80 butterflies a day (they respawn every 30 minutes I believe), that 300K right there. Far less exhausting then catching golden stag on Tortimer island.

What I do is my hybrid flowers garden is right next to the beach. So I wait for balloons every 10 minutes walking along the shoreline, at the same time digging for clams, fishing, and watching my flower patch for rare butterflies.

That my secret to making money in this game. Otherwise I would be broke. I lost 500K on turnips this week. Getting hybrid flowers island (blue windflowers) was the best thing to ever happen to me money wise in this game as I discover a secret that I wouldn't have otherwise. Prior to that I was making 50K a day. Now I could make 300K a day if I work hard enough. I rarely do though.

I have no intention of making bells that way, via hybrids, NMT islands, or butterflies, and why would I wait for Flick when I can sell them to the Nooklings when I start playing.

Play how you want to! I play alone because having other people pressuring me stresses me out.

This game is not relaxing to me it makes me feel like I'm insane.. someone who's not very reputable people quote a lot saying you're insane to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.. I know that in actual most cases of life theres alway some sort of different result because no same thing happens twice but I'd expect that in a video game so why did it take me and so many others 3 days to find a map we liked? That was absolutely maddening and now I'm resetting again for another map and baught a second switch

I reset my map after 35 hours into the game. Best decisi
No thanks.

I have no intention of making bells that way, via hybrids, NMT islands, or butterflies, and why would I wait for Flick when I can sell them to the Nooklings when I start playing.

Wait then how do you make your money? Catching bugs and fishings are the two most common way to make money in this game. Selling to Flick give you 1.5 the rate that Nookings give you. I guess you could always sell sea shell or pop balloon but remember it cost a total of 1.5 millions if you want to move everything twice once you terraform.

I reset my map after 35 hours into the game. Best decisi

Wait then how do you make your money? Catching bugs and fishings are the two most common way to make money in this game. Selling to Flick give you 1.5 the rate that Nookings give you. I guess you could always sell sea shell or pop balloon but remember it cost a total of 1.5 millions if you want to move everything twice once you terraform.
What?

I'll fish and catch bugs like I've done for the past fifteen years in AC game. o_O

They still have bugs and fish.

Yeah, I really think the online community kinda took the game down a different path that might be worse than before. It was meant to trade with your friends all around the world and connect with them while you're apart, so you could get your friends' native fruit and think of them and stuff like that. But obviously with a game like this things like turnip prices and exclusive hybrid flowers get exploited pretty fast.

But that doesn't mean you play the game wrong. Maybe reading this forum is just not for you, at least the trading section. Things can get pretty intense around here, especially since the focus lies on a single video game franchise. Casual players experience the game differently.

Reactions: Jas
What?

I'll fish and catch bugs like I've done for the past fifteen years in AC game. o_O

They still have bugs and fish.

But butterflies aren't bug? I catch peacock butterfly and other rare butterflies, they are bugs. I'm making money through catching bugs. Why wouldn't you want flowers that can attract these bugs? Even if you didn't plant hybrid flowers you could still catch Atlas Moth from trees and waterbugs from the water. Grant it not the same number.

And when summer come, Golden stag and all other beatles will make butterfly farming feel like chump change in comparison. So are you not going to farm Golden stag and other expensive beatles that are worth 10 to 15K? If not what do you have against spawning rare butterflies? I'm just curious since catching regular butterfly net you almost nothing. There is playing this game slow and then there is playing this game at a snail pace. Can you imagine if Tortimer island didn't exist in New Leaf and all PWP's were still at the same cost? Literally nothing new would happen each day. Even with that island (since I'm against cutting tree or exploiting the island), it was a pain to make enough money to pay off bridges and other PWP's.

But butterflies aren't bug? I catch pea**** butterfly and other rare butterflies, they are bugs. I'm making money through catching bugs. Why wouldn't you want flowers that can attract these bugs? Even if you didn't plant hybrid flowers you could still catch Atlas Moth from trees and waterbugs from the water. Grant it not the same number.

And when summer come, Golden stag and all other beatles will make butterfly farming feel like chump change in comparison. So are you not going to farm Golden stag and other expensive beatles that are worth 10 to 15K? If not what do you have against spawning rare butterflies? I'm just curious since catching regular butterfly net you almost nothing. There is playing this game slow and then there is playing this game at a snail pace. Can you imagine if Tortimer island didn't exist in New Leaf and all PWP's were still at the same cost? Literally nothing new would happen each day. Even with that island (since I'm against cutting tree or exploiting the island), it was a pain to make enough money to pay off bridges and other PWP's.

I farm beetles and expensive fish depending on the season.
I don't farm butterflies.

it's a video game, it's not that serious. everyone should play in whatever way is fun for them, that's the point.

I farm beetles and expensive fish depending on the season.
I don't farm butterflies.

So what the difference? Both are bugs. You said you were having trouble making money and how it feel like a chore so I told you about my way of making money via butterfly farming. It not a lot but it add up overtime. No different from fishing and far less money than beatle farming.

I don't care how anyone else plays. I know what works for me.

I have two people I'm close with who are playing that I can connect with and trade items and turnip prices etc but I doubt I'll ever get too much into obsessing on getting every item or the best possible price. That kind of thing would make the game too much like work.

I completely agree that the intended way to play is to go at a nice easy pace and slowly develop your world but it's fine that Nintendo have allowed these options to do more than that and really burn through the content and achievments for those that wish to play that way. I mean it's their money they plunked down for the game. Let em play how they want. Don't bother my ass none.

I'll still be slowly grooming and changing my island for months meanwhile they'll be board as **** and done with the game by then. Giving me more bang for my buck imo.

Plus, in this day and age (I'm also an 80s kid) people have certain expectations when it comes to online capabilities and generally Nintendo fall short of most people's expectations when it comes to that. Here is one game where they've pretty much given us what we'd want in terms of online gameplay so I'm personally proud of Nintendo for promoting the online/trading/sharing aspects of one of its top tier titles when they've failed to do so in the past for so many other games.

To bottom line it, don't let how others are playing this game suck the fun out of it for you. You don't need to play it the way it feels like the majority of people are. That's them. You do you.

While it might be unusual, you aren't at all the only person who plays like this. It sounds like you and I have very similar play styles. And even if you were the only one, it's not a competition. As long as you are having fun playing your game the way you want to, then it's safe to say that animal crossing is a good game for you. But if you are constantly miserable because you are always comparing your play style to everyone else, you might want to take a little break, yes? There are plenty of other fantastic games out there too!

I think it has to do with the fact that not participating online is missing a huge part of the game. But online seem so barebone right now. I did a lot of online play in NL via tortimer island with others and it was a lot of fun. And we also had the dream suite which allow me to visit as many island as I want in a slow and relaxing pace.

With the current state of the game right now, there so little to do that I feel like I am missing out because even though I didn't participate in trading in NL, I had other things I could do that was enjoyable for me.

That not the case in New Horizon right now. Maybe we will have an update later down the line for visiting a city or Tortimer island or something again. Getting online subscription just for getting non-native fruits and flowers seem rather a waste since trading and trafficking is a huge part of the online aspect right now.

If only dream suite exist. I just want to see how others design their towns without the hassle of bothering them.

So what the difference? Both are bugs. You said you were having trouble making money and how it feel like a chore so I told you about my way of making money via butterfly farming. It not a lot but it add up overtime. No different from fishing and far less money than beatle farming.
I haven't started it yet, so how can I be having trouble?

I'm saying I don't farm butterflies because they aren't worth much.

I know how to play.
I've been doing it since 2005.

And another thing the lack of storage space is not relaxing Ethier and the breaking of tools
Post automatically merged:

The thought of missing out is almost daunting for silly little items... for some reason

Back