• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

affordable and functional laptop brands?

biibii

pudding dog.
Bells
Switch
0713-6060-7729
Rainbow Star Fragment
Spring Sakura
Dreamy Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Flower Glow Wand
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
i need to purchase one under or around 500$ for school, was hoping to get a refurbished mac as that is what i had before but they go upwards of 500$. what is an affordable computer in your experience that still provides a streamlined service?

I bought my Acer laptop for $600 a few years back and I love it. I know that's a bit over your budget but there might be a decent Acer out there for $500.

What kinds of things are you planning to run on your computer - do you need any special programs that are better run on Mac or PC or vice versa? And how portable of a computer are you looking for? Things like accessories, battery life, or storage capability may also be things you may want to consider, as they may ultimately be more expensive than what your budget allows for.

I personally have a Mac Air which I've had for many years now. It's quite thin which allows me to be able to easily bring it to school, and I don't need any fancy programs since I'm not in a university program that requires that.

I've looked into getting a Chromebook before, and I think there are some great options on the market! I'd personally go for a new computer over a refurbished one myself. You can even get 2 in 1 hybrid tablet/computers (with a touch screen) for under $500!

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55 that I've had since 2013 and it still works pretty much like new. The only problem is the battery has gone bad (it went bad probably like...3-4 years after I got it??) so it needs to be plugged in all the time, but I could just buy a new battery lol (I haven't done that mostly because I don't take my laptop anywhere so it always stays plugged in anyway). It's been so long since I bought it that I don't remember how much it cost but it was between $300-400. This is the longest I've ever had a laptop and I use it almost every day. I used it in college and it was great for doing class work. It's nothing fancy but like...I didn't expect it to last more than 2 or 3 years, let alone 7+...

I had Toshiba Satellites for years, and agree that they are good machines. My current laptop is an Acer Chromebook. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but I don't need that. It really depends on what your requirements are.

First thing's first, what are you planning on doing with the laptop? If it's for school are you planning to be mobile with it? Meaning, taking it to classes (once back in session) or are you just going to be using it as a desktop replacement, at home? If it's mobile, portability is key and you'll likely want something that is lighter and easy to carry. Usually, in the Windows world, the lighter and sleeker they are, the more expensive it'll be. As most have mentioned above, Windows based units will likely be cheaper. You'll be able to get a new laptop for around $500-$600. If you are dead set on an Apple product, you have to go a bit higher to get their entry laptop model.

You might also want to check your school and see if they sell discounted Apple products.

You can also check Apple's refurbished selection. Currently, the cheapest product there is around $780

The cheapest NEW Apple laptop is their Macbook Air and that starts at $999.

mine was an acer spin. I abused the hell out of it, and after a yearish of using the lappy, decided I should just cut my costs and do all my work on a desktop PC, and I've never been happier. I still have an iPad for when I want to do things on the go.

But it depends on what you want to do. For me, it was hardcore gaming, digital design/video editing, and a bit of programming/writing papers for class. The last point aside, for the first two I needed a more capable computer and my tiny laptop just could not handle it.

Anyways, I would reference here (most notably under "ultraportable" and "general use" unless you want a gaming laptop, but I really don't recommend a gaming laptop) and feel free to @ me or DM with additional questions~

btw if you're using this for school, you'll probably be carrying it around a lot. you'll regret getting anything larger than a 13-inch screen and heavier than ~3.5lbs. it's gonna feel like an absolute brick (trust, I'm speaking from experience here)

edit: my overall pick would still be the Dell XPS 13 (multiple friends have it, it's super lightweight and still fairly capable) but it's slightly out of your price range, i think (was out of mine too, hah).

Last edited:
I ended up buying a MacBook today with a student bundle and got AirPods as well for a total of 1.07k. I got a MacBook Air, which is what I had previously, just the miniature version.

Back