A Big Problem In Villager Auctions That Needs To Be Addressed!

I had that happen. With flurry. Even though it was a few minutes early, the auctioneer had already accepted my offer and ended the auction. The other Person bidding offered a higher price but I pretty much just said that wasn't fair as my bid had been accepted and the auction called to a close.
I do agree though that if an auction is done at a certain time, that should be it.

I posted a whole thread on my personal auction pet peeves before. I just feel that auctions should be more closely monitored by the mods - I don't mean any disrespect here - but for example, on Reddit, auctions have much stricter rules. Auctions on TBT don't even require the user to post an end time which I just think is plain weird.

Auction Snipers, ugh. Neopets, way too many of those when I was using the auction house. People really need to stop accepting offers and live up to their own rules. Its the biggest kick in the face when your offer gets accepted, they get your hopes up and then you find out "Oh, someone offered XX amount of money, unless you're willing to pay more!" right after the deadline.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Another problem that arises though is the fact that some villagers cost a lot. You win a bid with 6mil, then the auctioneer gets "BUYOUT 30mil" or whatever the buyout was shortly afterwards. Of course its tempting for the auctioneer but again, its not being fair as they just threw out your order. Who knows how many times this probably happened for popular characters like Marshal, Stitches, etc.

Last edited:
Just ignore all rigged auctioneer. Simple.
Or end auctions all together. Even better.

Last edited:
Wow i'm pleasantly suprised at how much attention this thread is getting I was not expecting this thanks everyone :)

I understand auctions aren't for everyone but there should really be a set of guidelines to follow for auction hosts otherwise their thread should be removed.
*Setting a buyout is optional but once you start the auction you can't change it
* Clearly state the end time of the auction
* Have a minimum length of time elapse before ending an auction (maybe an hour minimum)
* Let everyone know when they should expect the trade to go down when the auction begins

That's just some I can't think of any atm tho, but auctions are in DESPERATE need of monitoring and in need of setting some ground rules. I can only imagine how much more popular they would become if everyone had a sense of security knowing a lot less crap is gonna go down in these auctions.

I used to dread voiding a villager. Not anymore. I've been misled too many times when I would do a villager giveaway and they ended up in a cycling farm instead of going to someone who didn't have zillions of bells for their dreamie. Beware. $$$ are causing serious integrity issues.

What if you could put a timer on your thread so that it automatically closed at that specific time so no one else could even post? Just a thought. I think people have a hard time saying no, though I agree if you state a specific time, you should remain honorable to it. c:

I like this idea because it prevents lurks from doing over timed bids. Also it prevents the greedy auctioneer from making more money.

What if you could put a timer on your thread so that it automatically closed at that specific time so no one else could even post? Just a thought. I think people have a hard time saying no, though I agree if you state a specific time, you should remain honorable to it. c:

In theory this sounds like a great idea. Could this be a legitimate filter of sorts to filter out the bad eggs from the good so to speak?

A great idea is to comment "Auction is Over!" when it ends, so if people try to bid then they'll see that it has clearly ended. If an auction says over, then it's over; people will probably still try to bid, but rules are rules.

I think it would just be better just to state clearly in the rules when the time ends rather than that though. Unless you're precise every single time commenting "auction is over" right at the exact second when the time is up. I don't agree with just ending it on a comment but to each his own.

Opinions on the sniping rule feature?
Not really a rule but some people place a snip feat. for last minute bids within 5 minutes.
I'm just curious. On those who do participate in auctions and their opinion on them.

For me I don't partake in auctions because of things like this. I too have had some instances. Especially one where I was going to win for a lower price but someone came in and bid, probably to just up the price. Though that was a long time ago, but I shall never forget.... :X

I like just outright selling the villager. Give a set price and be done with it. But that too is troublesome.

Last edited:
Unfortunately alot of ppl mislabel their threads so they say selling when it's actually an auction format and vice versa. At least with auctioning though ppl have more time to be aware of a villager/item being sold and can see the end date and prepare for when it's about to end AS LONG AS THE HOST IS COMPETENT. I honestly think in theory it's more fair it's just that it's not being used correctly atm and really needs to be fixed that's why I like doing them over straight out selling.

I guess it wouldn't matter as much for other tiers but at least for tier 1 villagers I like to do auctions to be as fair as possible. I'm curious what do you mean by snipe rule feature? Some ppl have rules about posting bids in last 5 minutes? I'm not gonna lie I sniped a bid to get a dreamie of mine so I have done it before. I honestly don't know what to think of it whether it should be allowed or not. How would you even moderate something like that?

Unfortunately alot of ppl mislabel their threads so they say selling when it's actually an auction format and vice versa. At least with auctioning though ppl have more time to be aware of a villager/item being sold and can see the end date and prepare for when it's about to end AS LONG AS THE HOST IS COMPETENT. I honestly think in theory it's more fair it's just that it's not being used correctly atm and really needs to be fixed that's why I like doing them over straight out selling.

I guess it wouldn't matter as much for other tiers but at least for tier 1 villagers I like to do auctions to be as fair as possible. I'm curious what do you mean by snipe rule feature? Some ppl have rules about posting bids in last 5 minutes? I'm not gonna lie I sniped a bid to get a dreamie of mine so I have done it before. I honestly don't know what to think of it whether it should be allowed or not. How would you even moderate something like that?

I've only seen it a few times.
Lets say it's supposed to end at 5 someone bids at 4:59. The bid continues for another 5 minutes unless no one else bids before 5:05. Continues until no one bids within 5 mins of each other. Something like that.

I can understand the frustration and how some auctions aren't run with guidelines and how frustrating it is.

A ridiculous amount of money is relative to each specific person....Some ppl think 10 mil is alot others have hundreds of millions

Last edited:
alright, i will admit that i'm guilty of not putting auction end times, but that's because a lot of ACers seem to be in the northern hemisphere and i'm in the south so i don't know what time is busiest/everyone will be awake. however, i will update things like "ending in 2 hours" or something with my posts!! ;u;

i've participated in an auction that was completely dead until last minute because someone was obviously just waiting for the auction time to come to an end so it was impossible to bid any further and that really grinds my gears. i usually just avoid them now and trade amongst my friends/people i've traded with before

Even if I had a full bank, I'd still consider multiple full house upgrades cost to be way too much.

People need to stop paying these stupidly ridiculous amounts of money, and the people selling for that much need to stop taking full advantage of all these suckers. Even though I have to applaud their intelligence in doing so.

I think another issue I spotted twice yesterday, not pointing names cause it's mean, there was a buyout, and once someone boight out, they RAISED the buyout -.-'

Back