• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Lyrics vs Melody

• Lyrics

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Melody

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • I hate music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • im deaf...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why am I reading this thread?

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
I pay more attention to lyrics. The song has to have a really good melody for me to not care about it not having lyrics, otherwise don’t bother. I find most songs lose meaning when there’s no lyrics, though there are a few exceptions.

I think I like the melody more (it depends though sometimesh, but I do appreciate good lyrics. What I love about Iron Maiden’s music is that they have both; the lyrics draw me impress me the most since there isn’t a lot of music that is about history and other things I like (or if there are, I haven’t heard it or don’t like the melody). Their melody is just so good too. Like there is the song Empire in the Clouds; the song is about “a British airship that crashed in 1930” according to wikipedia. I love the piano melody and the story.
Post automatically merged:

An example of how I like melody more than lyrics is: Bob Dylan. I don’t like his voice but have heard and seen some of his lyrics and some of them are really amazing but, I can’t listen to his music. I did like his son’s music when I was in middle school I think though 😅 but that’s a different story.

i mean logically they're the same thing, for instrumentals the melody takes the lyric role of being the main sound. but i think the counter-melodies/backing sounds have to match atmosphere or the whole song kind of sounds empty.

but i can listen to a backing track (without melody) more than i could listen to just one line of solo instrumental or vocal.

i think i misunderstood the prompt lol
words are important and contribute just as much to the melody as the pitches do i feel like this is a really convoluted way of saying i prefer backing track/atmosphere more than either melodic line or lyrical text

Generally, I think my brain latches onto melodies before lyrics -- it might have something to do with being classically trained (just a theory).

The only music I listen to where the lyrics take center stage over the melodies (and accompaniment in general) are covers of anime opening themes and showtunes.

There are very few songs with melodies that don't "wow" me but have interesting enough lyrics that I willingly listen to -- the one that's top of mind right now is "Elle Me Dit" by Mika.

I'd say melody for me. Most of the music I listen to is background soundtracks and some anime themes/character songs, so even when there are lyrics, I don't usually understand all of what they're saying, ahah. Sometimes lyrics can actually put me off I song I otherwise like, too—the Fairy Tail ending theme Kokoro no Kagi (Key to the Heart) stands out as one example to me. It's a beautiful song, but after I found out what the lyrics meant, I haven't been able to listen to it as much because it's so sad, and I'm terrible with handling sad stuff. ;;

Both melody and lyrics are important to me, but I chose lyrics. For one, I have a very bad ear for music. I love music but I'm not at all musically inclined so I find it really difficult to pick out a good melody. I do know what I like and a song can 'speak' to me whether it has lyrics or not, but lyrics help.

Also, I have found that lyrics that tell an amazing story or speak to my heart, can make me like a song that I, otherwise, wouldn't have paid any attention to. For instance, I'm not generally a fan of country music. I'm not hating on it and I know a ton of people who love it, but the style of the music is not for me. However, if I hear a really good country song with lyrics that tell a great story or tug at my heart, then I can love that song. The same goes for rap. Typically, it is not my genre, but there are some great songs out there with really compelling lyrics.

Honestly, as someone who is heavily into reading and writing, I rely on words more than most people. Words speak to me more than visuals or melodies. So great lyrics can be enough to push me to like a song and terrible lyrics (especially when they just repeat the same line over and over) can turn me away from a song.

so i have an ear for music theory and writing so generally my taste is as perfect as me

Lyrics. They can be catchy and I wish I was a song writer but am not. I like to sing to myself in private because I’m no good in public.

definitely the melody. i listen to a lot of instrumental music & music where i don't know the language in question, so i tend to gravitate towards the sound of a song first and foremost over what it's saying (i'll look it up later if i want to know the lyrics, but it's not a necessity for me to know / like what's being said to enjoy a tune).

I don't usually pay much attention to the lyrics. Melody is what makes it. There are some instances though where lyrics can really grab my attention, such as "my trains" by lemon demon...

while they both play a huge part in whether i like a song, melody has always seemed to triumph lyrics for me as even if the lyrics are the best that i’ve ever heard, i likely won’t listen to it more than once unless i like the melody as well.

but lyrics are definitely important to me, too - both the actual words, their meaning and how they’re sung.

I listen to both lyrics and melody, but most likely melody of the music, excuse my synesthesia.

In speaking of melody, I've been thinking about violinist Lindsey Stirling and pianist Yiruma.

I think lyrics hold a little more weight for me. I love instrumentals and I listen to a lot of music just for the melodies, but most of my favorite songs are my favorites moreso because of their lyrics.

Definitely the melody. If the lyrics are great too then it makes it even better! If the melody sucks, it doesn't matter if the lyrics are good because I won't want to listen to it.

lyrics for sure. every time my friends introduce a song or share a playlist with me, i *always* google the lyrics out of habit before i listen to it or i follow along as i listen. i love many songs where the lyrics are very meaningful to me and the melody is just ok. although i put more weight on meaningful lyrics, i have to somewhat vibe with the melody for me to like the song.

Back