• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why is everyone complaining about the island size when it's bigger than CF?

numbernine

Bells
Saw someone post this on v, looks accurate.

FI8pqab.png

I think people were confused because they assumed the nook shop icon was representative of that little building, but it actually represents the entire enclosed dirt area around the shop. It adds up to be between CF and GCN, and leaning closer to GCN. And that's assuming that we can't build anything on the ocean parts of the spaces, which is by no means confirmed.

Thanks for posting this, this is very important information. Personally I already thought the map size was fine after watching the treehouse footage but actual confirmation is always nice.

Last edited:
Very informative post, thanks! I thought the size looked pretty agreeable.

Last edited:
i thought the island size was already good to begin with, but this backs it up. thanks for posting this :)

Am I the only one who originally thought the map looked massive? It reminds me of HHD where there is different zones. Look like there are mountains on the top and different lands to jump to using the pole vault. It also looks like it’s multiply layered. When the character was walking around on Treehouse, the player icon was hardly moving on the map. The map looks huge, especially compared to ACNL.

I didn't really take much note of the map size, I just assumed it would be bigger than New Leaf. But having this conformation is really helpful! Hopefully it's accurate. It makes sense to have a bigger map though, since you can have up to 8 human characters and probably 10 (or maybe more) animal villagers. You'd need extra space to accommodate for the extra residents.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind too is that the game is about 9 months away. As someone who lives with an ex-programmer, I can tell you that 9 months is plenty of time to change a game really drastically. The size that we saw in those videos may not be the final size. Heck, the island may be upgradable somehow. I know that sounds weird at first, but islands CAN get bigger in real life. The Big Island of Hawaii is getting bigger slowly over time because of the volcanic eruptions.

We can't judge for sure until the final game is released.

Yeah they can do everything to it at this point. Thanks for this, the map as it is now looks fine to me!
I will only play with my own character so I have space enough but in New Leaf it got me in trouble sometimes.

I think it is very possible that the town map we saw was specifically built for the e3 presentation just so show off some basic game features. Someone mentioned how this map seems quite small to fit 8 players, which I agree with. I imagine the maps we will get in the final game will be much bigger (at least I hope).

This is somewhat comforting although I think the very top layer are cliffs that are unaccessible but there's no way to prove that because they didnt go up there during the treehouse stream

I'm definitely happy that it's bigger than New Leaf, as it should obviously be.

But why can't we aim for more? Why are we only just barely reaching the size of the first game in the series on the GameCube? I honestly expected more in terms of town size for this game considering the power of the massive power increase from previous systems the series has been on.

I already knew the island will be a lot bigger compared to the NL town when I heard that you can
have 8 human characters on it. Then also the vilagers and maybe other buildings, that all needs and
takes space of course. I for myself love the fact to have a big island with lots of options to make
something amazing out of it.

Hey OP, do you mind if I include your picture in my analysis doc? I'll include credit.

It's very good at proving the point that I was attempting to make. (Which is that the map is at least as big as City Folk)

Last edited:
I'm definitely happy that it's bigger than New Leaf, as it should obviously be.

But why can't we aim for more? Why are we only just barely reaching the size of the first game in the series on the GameCube? I honestly expected more in terms of town size for this game considering the power of the massive power increase from previous systems the series has been on.

I don't think ''power'' was a limiting factor in town size however as the amount of the area on screen is Always the same no matter how big the town would be. So increasing the size would only have an effect on data streaming. On Wild World the world size probably has to do with limited memory but for the rest of the games it's probably just a design choice rather than the result of technical limitations.

Last edited:
I don't think ''power'' was a limiting factor in town size however as the amount of the area on screen is Always the same no matter how big the town would be. On Wild World the world size probably has to do with memory but for the rest of the games it's probably just a design choice rather than the result of technical limitations.

Yeah I agree on this one, GCN was very zoomed out because of its lack of graphical detail, and compensated with a bigger world as a result. CF was more zoomed in so you could see the graphics better, and had a slightly smaller town as a result. NL was forced to be zoomed in a lot because of the lack of screen resolution, so the town was even smaller. If you had a massive map but the same level of zoom, it would be really easy to get lost, even with a map.

I wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger than it is, but I'm glad its at least as big as City Folk.

Last edited:
I don't know how accurate the first post is. For example, I don't know if we can just multiply the tillable area by the number of Nook's dirt square area.

If we are to believe the minimap seen during the Treehouse segment (June 11th, 2019), here is another breakdown.
ASSUMING THAT :
  • Acres are the same size as previous games (meaning same amount of tiles)
  • If the map size doesn't change until the release of New Horizons

Then we can summarize this :
  • The forrested area is about the same size as Wild World (4x4), so slightly smaller than New Leaf
  • If we take into account the beach, than the island is the same size as City Folk (5x5)
  • The island is still smaller than the original Animal Crossing (on Gamecube) which was 5x6
New Horizons_MapSizeComparison.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly I'm happy with the size. When the town becomes too big, mainting it's perfection gets more and more difficult, especially if we don't know if ordinances are returning. I think its a good size, I'm happy. The real kicker will be how many animals we can have

I don't know how accurate the first post is. For example, I don't know if we can just multiply the tillable area by the number of Nook's dirt square area.

If we are to believe the minimap seen during the Treehouse segment (June 11th, 2019), here is another breakdown.
If :
  • Acres are the same size as previous games (meaning same amount of tiles)
  • If the map size doesn't change until the release of New Horizons

Then we can summarize this :
  • The forrested area is about the same size as Wild World (4x4), so slightly smaller than New Leaf
  • If we take into account the beach, than the island is the same size as City Folk (5x5)
  • The island is still smaller than the original Animal Crossing (on Gamecube) which was 5x6
View attachment 226333

Even if this is a correct estimation, NL is only about the size of WW's map if you ignore the beach and ocean. And since the beach is a fully usable area, (can have houses on it, all furniture can be placed on it) the town would still be effectively 5x5 which is CF sized.

Last edited:
Back