• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you have theories on lore in Nintendo games?

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
White Rose
White Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
I do have a theory, here's mine (This is just a fun little theory):

Since Kirby and the Forgotten land was basically the different version on what happened to the Earth-like planet, and Shiver Star from Kirby 64 was Earth frozen. I thought the Forgotten Land was a different version of the outcome on what happened to Earth eons later. The theory is that Kirby 64 and Kirby and the Forgotten Land were placed in 2 separate timelines akin to the Zelda Timeline.

The Kirby Dreamland games (2,3, and 64) after the first game took place in the Dark Matter Timeline.

Kirby Superstar along with Return to Dreamland and most of the recent Kirby games took place in the Ancients Timeline (since ancients are mentioned throughout the game with tidbits about Superstar Nova's origin or whatnot) and Dark Matter was barely present with the exception of Void.
Void was the common 'evil' that resides in every timeline and goes through different forms.

Kirby's dreamland is the starting point with later Kirby games were in diverging routes.
I just Imagined that the Forgotten Land is Earth in a different timeline.

(Although there might be obvious plot holes now that Star Allies comes into picture.)

Do you have any theories of your own of Nintendo games' lore (Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Kirby, etc.)? I'm interested in seeing it.

in new leaf i think that isabelle or rover was orginally supposed to be the mayor. this is actually a common theory that has been discussed many times, it's most likely that isabelle was supposed to be the mayor at first after tortimer left because she was all worried when your character first arrived to town and she calls you the mayor even though you have no idea what she's talking about. she was probably unprepared so she pushed the mayor role on the newest person in town. the other possibility is rover, he asks you all these questions on where you're going and the letter that arrives in your mailbox on the second day actually sounds like it could've been written by him.

Last edited:
There’s a theory in all the Animal Crossing games that your character died and the island is the afterlife. Kapp’n is a Kappa, and in Japanese folklore Kappas drown children. Your mom’s gifts and letters are what she leaves at the grave, and what you see in the afterlife. It’s sad but I think about it from time to time….

My dad and I were talking about our own Zelda theory the other day, actually. I brought up the fact that Ganondorf legit helps Link throughout the Zelda games by leaving weapons/items, maps, and compasses in the dungeons (I saw a meme about it, lol). What my dad replied with was fairly interesting. We know that Link always gets reincarnated because he's the hero, and his destiny is to defeat the villain (usually Ganondorf) and save the land (usually Hyrule). So no matter what Ganondorf does, Link is gonna show up and defeat him, so why not help out the hero by making him progress the dungeons faster and easier? Better to face the hero sooner when he's a bit less experienced.

So Shy Guys originate from the dream land of Subcon, right? What if they wear the masks and robes not to hide anything, but to maintain a physical form in the realm of the awakened world?

in new leaf i think that isabelle or rover was orginally supposed to be the mayor. this is actually a common theory that has been discussed many times, it's most likely that isabelle was supposed to be the mayor at first after tortimer left because she was all worried when your character first arrived to town and she calls you the mayor even though you have no idea what she's talking about. she was probably unprepared so she pushed the mayor role on the newest person in town. the other possibility is rover, he asks you all these questions on where you're going and the letter that arrives in your mailbox on the second day actually sounds like it could've been written by him.
About this I was going to say that I always thought it was Rover until I heard evidence about the Isabelle thing... It just makes SO MUCH SENSE????? Its still a conspiracy for me to this day. I saw this theory by @vib and thought I would include this here!
tortimer wanted to retire and he knew that isabelle was a responsible secretary, so maybe he wanted her to be the next mayor. she is shown to be pretty shy and timid, even self-conscious, so maybe she felt like she wasn't right and/or ready for the job. no one in the town was told that it was supposed to be her, making it easier for her to make it seem like it was someone else. she could probably find out if and when someone was supposed to arrive to the town and decided to take a chance on whoever came out of the train. as i said above, there was no home for the new mayor, so maybe she couldn't set that part up in time, so she acted as if it was an accident and had the player do it, making it much easier on her. now she can still have mayoral duties to fulfill but not have the full stress and pressure of being the mayor.

Back