• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Yanrima's gallery and sketch corner

The forsaken king of thorns-The Shrike King!
mysterymonster.png

-Name: ???
-Danger level: Strong

A Shrike king who was once a gentle king who loves his people and plants that surrounded the world. He detests destruction of forests and wars, he was beloved by the common folk because of his support of farming, gardening, and peace.

"The common folks all deserve to witness the beauty in nature and a world without conflict, the kingdom ensures that no ordinary person or worker gets left behind."
the king thought when ruling his kingdom.

The kingdom flourished and prospered until a tragedy happened. One of his brothers who was assigned as the leader of the kingdom's knights, betrayed him by defecting from the kingdom and declaring war, hoping to retrieve the remaining fortunes their father left.

"WHY, why would my brother waste all of his time with those good-for-nothings and this whole 'peace' rubbish! No matter, I SHOULD be the king, NOT HIM!"
his brother thought to himself before enacting war.
"I shall snap you to the cruel reality of the world!"

The treacherous brother proceeded to destroy the entire kingdom with his military might. Fire spread quickly in the kingdom and lives were taken. The Shrike King then marches forward, fighting all of the traitor knights until his last breath. He uses his remaining strength to protect and save the last surviving family, telling the family to escape. He soon died, along with his kingdom.

Years passed and the king rises once again as the plants surrounded the former kingdom. He has gained an ability to summon the plants' thorns in the process. And The Shrike King's heart hardened, will all the grudges, sorrow, and regrets he bears for his kingdom's fall. He now walks the earth, looking for his traitor brother for revenge.

-Abilities:
Thorn Garden
he drains the vitality of the target with his poisonous thorns leaving the target either weak or dead. A symbol of his love for the kingdom and his revenge.
The eye of the Impaler
He uses his spear to entrap targets within the field

Design notes:
-Shrikes in wildlife are known for impaling small prey so I decided to add vampiric concepts when creating this Shrike based character.
-I wanted to try drawing different body type for this certain character, so I settled for 'strong and intimidating' type for this character.

Last edited:
The forsaken king of thorns-The Shrike King!
View attachment 438165
-Name: ???
-Danger level: Strong

A Shrike king who was once a gentle king who loves his people and plants that surrounded the world. He detests destruction of forests and wars, he was beloved by the common folk because of his support of farming, gardening, and peace.

"The common folks all deserve to witness the beauty in nature and a world without conflict, the kingdom ensures that no ordinary person or worker gets left behind."
the king thought when ruling his kingdom.

The kingdom flourished and prospered until a tragedy happened. One of his brothers who was assigned as the leader of the kingdom's knights, betrayed him by defecting from the kingdom and declaring war, hoping to retrieve the remaining fortunes their father left.

"WHY, why would my brother waste all of his time with those good-for-nothings and this whole 'peace' rubbish! No matter, I SHOULD be the king, NOT HIM!"
his brother thought to himself before enacting war.
"I shall snap you to the cruel reality of the world!"

The treacherous brother proceeded to destroy the entire kingdom with his military might. Fire spread quickly in the kingdom and lives were taken. The Shrike King then marches forward, fighting all of the traitor knights until his last breath. He uses his remaining strength to protect and save the last surviving family, telling the family to escape. He soon died, along with his kingdom.

Years passed and the king rises once again as the plants surrounded the former kingdom. He has gained an ability to summon the plants' thorns in the process. And The Shrike King's heart hardened, will all the grudges, sorrow, and regrets he bears for his kingdom's fall. He now walks the earth, looking for his traitor brother for revenge.

-Abilities:
Thorn Garden
he drains the vitality of the target with his poisonous thorns leaving the target either weak or dead. A symbol of his love for the kingdom and his revenge.
The eye of the Impaler
He uses his spear to entrap targets within the field

Design notes:
-Shrikes in wildlife are known for impaling small prey so I decided to add vampiric concepts when creating this Shrike based character.
-I wanted to try drawing different body type for this certain character, so I settled for 'strong and intimidating' type for this character.

This is amazing—both the drawing and the writing! 🤩 I continue to be amazed by your creativity and talent, not to mention your knowledge. I saw the sketch you drew that you loosely based off the Moirai sisters and really loved your interpretation of that not to mention your character designs. I remember reading something about that mythology in the past so it excited me to read that it was one of the things you based it on.

Your art is so so so pretty and clean!! I'm genuinely amazed, especially at the shrike king one - the longer I look at it, the better it gets, just wow ☺️💖

Just two Agent 4's. They're twins basically.
I couldn't think up names for both of them, but they're detectives.
Agent 4.png

They're agents who work for the Detective club. Because of the piling of one job after another, they never paid attention to such concepts like "Turf War" or "Splatfest" let alone the concept of idols hosting the event. After reading a news article about Callie's whereabouts, they decided to head onto Octo Canyon, the rest is history (Splatoon 2's main campaign is kind of the same as the 1st one).

Despite being granted the title "Agent 4", they never considered themselves part of the new "Squidbeak Splatoon". After rescuing Callie, they left the group, going back to Detective club to go on the mission of preventing the confidential "Sunken Scrolls" to fall on the wrong hands. While carrying the Sunken Scroll, they will meet a familiar face of the new Squidbeak Splatoon, whether the fabled hero would be a friend or a foe to Agent 4 is entirely unknown.

BONUS: This isn't their first appearance, they appeared in my splatpost back then:
2019041421132000-CBA841B50A92A904E313AE06DF4EF71A.jpg

Ta-da, A cleaner version of Leo's reference sheet!
Leo ref sheet (refined).png

• The reason why his sleeves are cut is because when he first fought with the Shrike King, he had a hard time moving around with the long coat especially the sleeves. That's why he modified the coat to allow more arm mobility when sword fighting.
  • His sword was made of shattered mirror shards and prism fragments that contain a light-based magic material that can detect dark or nightmare presence and banish dark entities and monsters that primarily materializes in nightmares/darkness, sometimes eliminating them, never to revive or return. The sword's power will only activate or gather light energy when there's a full moon or natural daylight (sunny day). The sword will not be gathering energy from artificial lights or other reflected light and mirror materials.
  • Leo enjoys collecting antique badges, pins, brooches, and fountain pens. And his home is old-fashioned. Despite his old-fashioned appearance and home, he likes modern technology and sometimes enjoys video games. (especially video games with swords and heroes)
  • He enjoys reading books, history, fantasy, folktales...You name it!
  • He writes his journal entries in a storybook fashion. His descriptions about his surroundings seemed a bit skewed and a bit boastful at times, although in his writings and his thoughts, he clearly shows true passion of heroism and saving others.
  • He barely keeps secrets, in fact he had the inability to keep just one thing secret.
  • He never liked jewelry with the most precious stones (diamonds, rubies, etc.) as he felt what he described "The aura of greed" when he is near it or holds it.

Last edited:
sorry for absolutely destroying your notifications haha 😅
I need to check back here more often, I always really enjoy looking at your art! it reminds me a lot of my own bc both have like a cartoon/comic-book style element to them. definitely really great 😌

sorry for absolutely destroying your notifications haha 😅
I need to check back here more often, I always really enjoy looking at your art! it reminds me a lot of my own bc both have like a cartoon/comic-book style element to them. definitely really great 😌
Thank you! My biggest inspiration are old picture book illustrations, 50's cartoons and mid-century illustrations from the 60's. ☺️

I dind't know I needed epic Splatoon fanart in my life, until I saw this. That's so rad! I can't really put into words eloquently how this makes me feel, but it's a mixture of absolute astonishment and awe and just GASP ^^ I so wish the blue and purple outfit you drew for your splat OC was reality ;u; I really miss more feminine clothes to customize my octoling.

I dind't know I needed epic Splatoon fanart in my life, until I saw this. That's so rad! I can't really put into words eloquently how this makes me feel, but it's a mixture of absolute astonishment and awe and just GASP ^^ I so wish the blue and purple outfit you drew for your splat OC was reality ;u; I really miss more feminine clothes to customize my octoling.
Thank you for the compliment! I've been in hooked in Splatoon since Splatoon 2. I happened to have a gallery thread featuring my Splatoon posts I did in both Splatoon 2 and 3 here if you are interested.

(although that's my squidsona, I barely made an OC for a fandom but I'll try. Most of my OC were just completely original stuff I made )

Back