• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Worst mission in the 3D Mario titles

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Snowflake Glow Wand
Festive Bell
Friday the 13th Candy
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Out of all of the missions in Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario Odyssey, as well as the levels in 3D Land and 3D World, what do you think is the worst? You may also label what the worst mission in each game is (as well as worst levels in 3D Land and 3D World).

I was reading the boards on GameFAQs, and I've been seeing negative comments towards the Jump Rope Genius moon in Super Mario Odyssey. Although I found that and the volleyball one almost impossible, both are nothing when compared to Lava Spire Daredevil Run in Super Mario Galaxy. That was actually so bad that I complained on a public forum about Nintendo's expectations being too high. I can handle the daredevil comets in Super Mario Galaxy, but to get past an entire level rather than just part of the level (especially when there are a lot of enemies), that is when they are going too far. Another dishonorable mention goes to the Dreadnought Garbage Cleanup in the same game. If you miss once, you basically screw up the whole mini-game. I don't know what Nintendo is thinking when they made that. They had some really bad missions in every Mario game, but I feel that Lava Spire Daredevil Run is the worst.

As for what I think are the worst in each game, here's what I think:

Super Mario 64 - Rainbow Ride 100 coins
Super Mario Sunshine - The 8 red coins in the toxic river
Super Mario Galaxy - Lava Spire Daredevil Run
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - didn't play much, but I hear Perfect Run is pretty hard.
Super Mario Odyssey - probably the Class S bound race in the Snow Kingdom.

I was literally about to say the 100 coin star in Rainbow Ride. Seriously... screw that level.
Oh, and I've always had a terrible time trying to get the coin star in Tall Tall Mountain. Those mushrooms have it out for me.

In SMG2, any of the missions with cosmic clones are a pain. They take away all that I enjoy in a videogame: taking my time, exploring the maps and having fun. Cosmic clones can burn.

I gotta agree with the 100 coins in Rainbow Ride for SM64. One mistake and you have to start all over. Ugh.

For SMS I hated the blue coins the most but since those aren't a specific mission I'd have to go with either the red coins in the lava sea under Bowser's location or the Yoshi platforms in Ricco Harbor. Red coins on the giant sand bird was hard as well. Can't really remember any more at the moment.

The most challenging mission in SMO has to be Long Journey's End, but except for the Pokio part, I found it to be quite enjoyable. Beach Volleyball: Hero of the Beach!, on the other hand, was really tedious and hard and not something I'm looking forward to ever doing again.

Super Mario Sunshine's Goopy Inferno mission was absolute hell.

The secret red coin missions in Mario Sunshine are all pretty hard, but they are still fun. There was a timed challenge in Mario Galaxy where you had to run through a maze in a giant capsule that was pretty evil. Also Mario Galaxy has a lot of weird camera angles and the gravity sticking you to certain planets makes me motion sick so I haven't really played much of that series.

I wouldn't say Worst but more like Hardest

Sm64 tick tock clock 100 coins ( am I confusing the name with banjo kazoie? )
SMS mud red coins... Like wow edit. And any secret level when you don't have floodd
After completing smg1 I'd have to say Luigi purple coin level and most dare devil levels
And also after completing smg2 I'd say Grand Master galaxy---- DAREDEVIL VERSION gmg is undoubtedly the hardest one ( with good reason being the last Galaxy ) but then you have to do it WITH 1 Life!
3dland hmm idk the last level?
One level I don't like and has poor Desinge in sm3d world is definitely honeycomb starway ( I think is the name ) I tried it again with my lil brother but it's hard 1. It's slow auto scroller 2. No check points 3. If you die then it's gonna be a while till you're back there.
In smo... I haven't faced many hard ones but I just did "Mario runs on cold water!" Or something like that in snow kingdom and it was annoying...

Last edited:
I only hate the very 1st Mario game castle levels, because you get less time when you do those levels, if the time runs out then its game over. I forgot how to do the cheating way of playing that game, the cheating way you can finish the game in 20 min.

Last edited:
Back