• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mario Are there more than one Mario party game on the Switch? [SOLVED]

Bluelady

Bells
Switch
8031-5514-2148
Purple Violet
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Purple Violet
White Violet
Purple Violet
White Violet
Golden Watering Can
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am confused.

My niece is asking for a “Mario Party” game as a birthday present. While browsing online, I noticed that there were two versions, “Super Mario Party” and “Mario Party Superstars”. Are they the same game or different ones? If different, then which one is better? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

I suggest you get Mario Party Superstars. That game stays faithful to the old Mario Party games from 1-7 with returning (but not all) mini-games from 1-7.

It's a lot more active everywhere than Super Mario Party, so I suggest the one with "Superstars" in the name.

I suggest you get Mario Party Superstars. That game stays faithful to the old Mario Party games from 1-7 with returning (but not all) mini-games from 1-7.

It's a lot more active everywhere than Super Mario Party, so I suggest the one with "Superstars" in the name.
Ah, ok! That clears up a lot of questions. Thanks!☺️

Although it's been answered, to expand on it a bit further and give a brief overview of both games, Super Mario Party and Mario Party Superstars are two different games and, while they share the same overall goal of "get the most stars/coins to win", are mechanically different. Super Mario Party came out first and only allows use of the Joy-Con for its gameplay + minigames, on top of the characters all having their own exclusive dice (these aren't fully balanced, some are better than others) and being able to get allies during the game. I know there's some game modes other than the basic Mario Party mode, but I'm unable to really comment on them. Admittedly, I haven't played it myself, so my knowledge of the game comes from the gameplay I've watched of it.

Mario Party Superstars came out 3 years later and is more closely aligned with the earlier entries in the series, so just the one dice (1-10 instead of 1-6), no allies, stars cost 20 coins instead of 10, and all controllers can be used instead of just the Joy-Con. Its boards/minigames come exclusively from older games, where it has some remade boards from 1-3, and some remade minigames from 1-10. You can save the games and resume them at a later time, and it is more customizable in some aspects (i.e. can turn on only certain minigames, can choose whether or not bonus stars come into play, can add turns during the game). Its online is also better than SMP since it does allow for disconnects/reconnects. That said, it does feature a smaller character roster (10 vs SMP's 20), and its game modes outside of the Mario Party mode are lacking in comparison to SMP.

Personally, I'd get Mario Party Superstars, since I feel like it's the better game of the two and better captures the essence of what Mario Party is, while still being something that newcomers to the series are able to pick up and play without too much trouble and end up enjoying IMO.

Super Mario Party was so bad, I traded it away on Marketplace LOL. It had unique things that Kilza mentioned but it just felt empty and half finished. It having joycon only minigames was annoying and the vibe definitely led that the game was for children. The cheering thing was just embarrassing to me.

Definitely get Mario Party Superstars. It's not perfect either, but it's more traditional and contains minigames and stages from the past Mario Party's. It actually feels like a real Mario Party game.

Although it's been answered, to expand on it a bit further and give a brief overview of both games, Super Mario Party and Mario Party Superstars are two different games and, while they share the same overall goal of "get the most stars/coins to win", are mechanically different. Super Mario Party came out first and only allows use of the Joy-Con for its gameplay + minigames, on top of the characters all having their own exclusive dice (these aren't fully balanced, some are better than others) and being able to get allies during the game. I know there's some game modes other than the basic Mario Party mode, but I'm unable to really comment on them. Admittedly, I haven't played it myself, so my knowledge of the game comes from the gameplay I've watched of it.

Mario Party Superstars came out 3 years later and is more closely aligned with the earlier entries in the series, so just the one dice (1-10 instead of 1-6), no allies, stars cost 20 coins instead of 10, and all controllers can be used instead of just the Joy-Con. Its boards/minigames come exclusively from older games, where it has some remade boards from 1-3, and some remade minigames from 1-10. You can save the games and resume them at a later time, and it is more customizable in some aspects (i.e. can turn on only certain minigames, can choose whether or not bonus stars come into play, can add turns during the game). Its online is also better than SMP since it does allow for disconnects/reconnects. That said, it does feature a smaller character roster (10 vs SMP's 20), and its game modes outside of the Mario Party mode are lacking in comparison to SMP.

Personally, I'd get Mario Party Superstars, since I feel like it's the better game of the two and better captures the essence of what Mario Party is, while still being something that newcomers to the series are able to pick up and play without too much trouble and end up enjoying IMO.
Helpful as always. Thank you for the thorough analysis!:)

Super Mario Party was so bad, I traded it away on Marketplace LOL. It had unique things that Kilza mentioned but it just felt empty and half finished. It having joycon only minigames was annoying and the vibe definitely led that the game was for children. The cheering thing was just embarrassing to me.

Definitely get Mario Party Superstars. It's not perfect either, but it's more traditional and contains minigames and stages from the past Mario Party's. It actually feels like a real Mario Party game.
Thank you as well. This seals the deal, I’m getting the Superstars version.

Back