Words of advice to your pre-New Horizons self?

Dear pre new horizions self.

Take your time.....and pictures. You will want to look back at these later to see you accomplishments. There is no rush no time line. Pick your project and work diligently......oh and you dont have to harvest wood every day.

Imperfection and randomness is part of the game's design so don't get hung up on stupid **** like the color of your airport, starting villagers and the length of your dock.

But do pay attention to your native flower because you're going to be swimming in them.

1. Pick a map with RS a nice distance away from the airport.
2. Don't reset for 5+ hours for dream starting villagers- they'll have their basic house.
3. Be aware that each island has a native flower.
4. Don't get so stressed out by terraforming that you have to re-do all your waterways.

Look at the ****ing map and figure out that things being in the middle of the center isn't something that you care about.

I would have found out about the island native flower first,--I didn't know there were such things! I just thought it was a fruit decision. I wish I would have chosen ANYTHING but pansies--like mums or roses because those are way cooler and I've never (and never will get to) be on a hybrid rose or mum island because I chose poorly. :(

This made me laugh so much. 😂 My lighthouse barely fits there... I can only imagine you having a really hard time just getting out the door.
Lol, it was really hard to fish here or even go down the shore, I wasn't able to place furniture down either. I was so happy when I moved my house.

I'd probably tell myself to buy more turnips... and also take time in drafting up ideas for my town (and to also realize that there are people out there who spend more time on the game than you do)

1 - The animals you see on mystery island tours and invite to live on your island aren't just random friendly animals you're being nice to, THEY ARE COMING as soon as you have house plots for them. You don't have to invite the first three you see!

2 - YOU CAN ONLY BUILD 8 BRIDGES AND 8 RAMPS

3 - You are in charge of the island, the flowers are not in charge.

4 - YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF THE ISLAND, THE FLOWERS ARE NOT IN CHARGE!!!

Last edited:
Check the dimensions of buildings so that you are aware one ramp placed vertically will not align with the museum door!

Don’t wait until your first ceremony to learn how to take screenshots on the Switch (and even longer to take videos). 😛

You can island hunt for your first lazy/normal/peppy! (It worked out well for me thankfully but would not risk it again)

Set/finish the remaining initial plots one at a time. You will get random move-ins otherwise!

(But well done on leaving the 10th plot for a camper. I didn’t have a cranky and Fang was first to show.)

Start gifting fruit to your villagers ASAP. Still waiting for my first photo...

When visiting your first island(s), there’s no need to pack your pockets full of normal pansies that were being sold at Nooks anyway. Oops.

think theough things a little. please. i’m glad we can move things and terraform but still, thinking through my decisions would have made things a little easier

If I could go back to march 20th, I would tell myself to take my time with choosing a map and not jump into the game with a map that "is good enough for now, I just wanna hurry up and start playing!". Because I ended up restarting. Also "because you plan to terraform the whole island, just put the villager's homes on the beach in the beginning so you don't have to move them twice." And third: if you run into a new villager on the mystery islands, (AKA Audie), bring her back even if you don't want her immediately. The new villagers are going to end up being very popular so you'll be able to make someone very happy by giving her away.

Thankfully I've been doing everything right in this playthrough, so there won't be any more restarting for me.

Do it now. Don’t put it off thinking you can do it again tomorrow.

Don’t get an all cat island just cus you think it will increase your chance with ray ray.

You remember that Merengue you saw after Tom Nook gave you your first ever Nook Mile Ticket? Yes, that’s right you can invite her to your island.

Yes, you do want that second ACNH themed switch. Don’t cancel that amz preorder just because they were late.

No, don’t invite that villager. She’s not as cute in NH as she is in NL.

No, don’t ever let Coco leave thinking you can get her back with better furniture. Her standard starter funiture is much better.

LOOK UP an item before you sell it thinking it’s orderable. That western style stone is a popular DIY recipe. Don’t sell it because in a few days you will want one and you will have no luck for a long time finding the recipe.

Advice to self: If you are moving buildings around anyways, place them on top of flowers you planned to remove and save yourself the hassle of shoveling them up (and save yourself the bells spent on new shovels or customization kits).

Although if you have already chosen all 3 villagers via island trips prior to putting the plots down you won’t get the random move-ins!
I'm new to the AC series and you just saved me from some future grief right there.

Thank you!!!

Start investing on turnips right away. It takes a while to figure it out, but the profits are well worth the effort!

Back