• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Windows 7 tricks

MattKimura

Bells
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Orange (Fruit)
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Gold Super Mailbox
Dusty Scroll
Ancient Lantern
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
50 Envelopes
Just a few tricks for Windows 7. I personally wrote the instructions, hopefully this helps some users.

----------------
Windows 7 tricks
----------------

Center taskbar icons [Preview: http://prntscr.com/xqoqw ]
====================
Go to documents, create a folder called CTI. Right click the taskbar, uncheck lock taskbar. Now right click the taskbar again, choose new toolbar then browser...
Choose the CTI folder. Now right click the CTI toolbar, and choose to hide the toolbar name.
Now drag the line on the right side of the toolbar, dragging it all the way to the left. now click the line from the left side, and drag it to the right, the icons will move to the right.
When centered enough, right click the taskbar, and check lock taskbar.
Note: It may take multiple tries to get it to the center. locking the taskbar pushs icons to the left slightly.

|Usefulness| - This makes your desktop look more stylish, sorta making it easier to access your tasks.

x--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------x
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| ~ |
x--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------x

--------------------
Miscellaneous tricks
--------------------

Disable Windows update popup, forcing to restart [Preview: http://tinyurl.com/2wzv533]
================================================
Go to start, type in regedit, then enter. Go to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\

Right click on the Windows folder, then click new, key. Enter WindowsUpdate
Right click on the WindowsUpdate folder then click new, key. Enter AU
Click on the AU folder. In the empty space on the right side, right click, and click on new, DWORD (32-bit) Value. Enter "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"

|Usefulness| - Windows constantly asks to restart ones updates are downloaded. You can keep postponing it, but the popup will always come back. This completely removes it, letting you restart whenever you want. Shutdown is the same, and what I'd rather do.

Add control panel to My Computer [Preview: http://prntscr.com/xqov4 ]
================================
Go to start, type regedit then enter. Go to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi*ndows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameS*pace

Expand namespace, then right click on the folder, choose new then key.
Enter the following manually:

Icon view: {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
Category view: {26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}

Note: Icon view is recommended.

Add "Open with notepad" option to context menu [Preview: http://prntscr.com/xqqwg ]
==============================================
Go to start, type regedit then enter. Go to the following: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell
Now right click on the shell folder, then new key. Type in: "Open With Notepad"
Right click the "Open With notepad" folder, then new key. Type in: notepad.exe %1

| ~ |
--------------
Browser tricks
--------------

Speed up Firefox
================
[How to] Speed up Firefox - http://pastebin.com/5t7Dnu2Q

Stop auto load of flash, click to enable flash [Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0l_KHjXg_s]
==============================================
Note: Applies for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome

1. Type "about:config" in the address bar
2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise"
3. Search for "plugins.click_to_play"
4. Right click it and click "toggle"
This should set it to "True"

Note: to always allow flash on a specific page, click on the blue icon on the address bar: Screenshot by Lightshot then choose activate all plugins, then always activate plugins for this site.

|Usefulness| - This stops flash from automatically loading on any page, making it so that you have to click on it to activate it. It's good for both bandwidth saving, and security, as some flash objects may infect you. Also, for Youtube sometimes you find yourself going back yo an old video to read the description

| ~ |
----
Tips
----

Uneeded Windows services
========================
Uneeded Windows 7 services - http://pastebin.com/T8JkDQSC

Last edited:
Very bold of you to write up a Windows 7 thread! :) For all those interested in applying some of these useful tricks, FOLLOW the directions completely- regedit is the Blueprint for the OS. Meddling in the wrong string can be disastrous. My laptop is still on the default Vista...:/ I'll come back here soon when I upgrade! Thanks Matt!

Very bold of you to write up a Windows 7 thread! :) For all those interested in applying some of these useful tricks, FOLLOW the directions completely- regedit is the Blueprint for the OS. Meddling in the wrong string can be disastrous. My laptop is still on the default Vista...:/ I'll come back here soon when I upgrade! Thanks Matt!

I believe some of these still work on Vista. But if you're upgrading, then I guess you can wait lol.
These are just a few things I discovered throughout the years. Im about to post another useful thread about Firefox soon.
This thread is a little messy, hopefully ppl are able to understand it xD

Yeah you're right, registry data is really important for non software. It should be simple to follow the directions though. I never messed up yet lol
I heard that registry cleaners can possibly screw you up.

It's that bad huh xD
It's simple, just need to install the Windows 7 OS. I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you how to get it though, you'd have to PM me for that.

Back