• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

wild world appreciation thread

peachsaucekitty

NO POMEGRANATES! NO NO NO NO NO POMEGRANATES!!!!
Bells
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Lump of Coal
Yule Log
Snow Angel Snowman
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Father's Day Carnation
Tasty Cake
Peach (Fruit)
I love the soundtrack, different control options, accessibility options, the kinda squished models of the villagers and player, the dialogue, and constellations. This is definitely my fav ac game that i've played, even though theres not much to do in comparison to newer games. What do you guys think of ww?

Last edited:
Wild World had my favorite soundtrack. I had so many memories of playing that game after school. I would run onto the school bus and load up my saved file. That game kept me sane after my poor experiences with bullying at school. My best friend on this game was Bones, and all of my other dog villagers. This game has a special place in my heart for what it did for me.

wild world is my favorite game in the series!!! it was my first one so thats probably part of why. i love the soundtrack, i think it matches the games attitude really well, and i think it has the most endearing dialogue. i also just love the look of the old clunky ds 3D.... its so cute and goofy
nodding%20thing.gif
i think if it had more stuff to do it would really rival new leaf

i love wild world. it's not my favorite game, but it's not the worst either. i picked it up recently for a couple of days, and it was fun despite all its jankiness. i really like:
  • the villagers. they have a lot more personality compared to NH. they ask for requests and ping me way more frequently which gives me a lot to do;
  • the message bottles that wash up. the NH ones aren't the same, and you also can't send them back yourself anyway;
  • pete flying through the sky, and gulliver in his flying saucer;
  • the guard dogs at the town gates, although mostly booker;
  • celeste's observatory;
  • needing to get a password for redd's tent. i just think the added step is kind of fun;
  • the different kind of messages that appear on the noticeboard. this game is where it really felt 'alive' to me.

saaame! wild world was my first game, and something about it just hits my brain right ahh lol. i started playing again while i wait for the nh update and tbh i feel like the villagers look a little cuter all squashed and pixelated! and the dialogue is god tier, i can't wait to play more and build up my town 😌

Wild world is such a good game, i was introduced to it on the wii u virtual console, and I was back on animal crossing...4 life!
Wild world 4 life!!!1

Ah, Wild World. It's a bit of a shame that this game has been viewed in a less positive light over the years. I don't find the game's shortcomings to be intrusive, given the context of what system the game was made for. Yes, the controls are a bit awkward (especially after playing CF), the events that replaced the real-life-based ones from the previous game can feel mediocre in comparison, and the method of unlocking Nookington's was just nonsensical. Still, I at least find it endearing to have fictionalized events not based on real holidays, because it makes Animal Crossing even more of form of escapism; I understand what they were going for, and I do enjoy Yay Day and the Acorn Festival, and I'm baffled that they never returned in future games because of how much potential they had.

I also realized that people have complained about the game's size, in addition to the smaller villager capacity, but I don't see these as negatives. In fact, I actually think the series benefits from having a smaller pool of villagers. And a game with only six personality traits, having villagers sharing the same traits and speaking the same exact lines of text is redundant. I personally would've lowered the cap to six in both this and in CF, and have eight be the norm moving forward. It helps make villagers stand out more when you don't have three villagers sharing the same personality, and aren't just living props.

Speaking of villagers: I don't see why this game isn't just considered much better at characterization than the GameCube game. It's great that they can still be rude without having said rudeness be the rule for most of the dialogue for Crankies and Snooties. There's nothing wrong with having nicer villagers (because the series was built around feeling a part of this new, virtual community that you moved into); there just needs to be a fair bit of balanced snarkiness and kindness. Sure, I still find the biting dialogue annoying, sometimes, but at least it's not verbosely shoved in your face half time, and unlike in PG!, there's actually an incentive to forge a friendship with your more coarse neighbors. It helps that villagers had hobbies (even if they weren't fleshed out enough), so it makes each of them stand out even more, individually.

I also love the episodes that nearly every special character receives when certain conditions are met. Take Blathers' fear of insects, for example: On the third Saturday of December, talking to Blathers will have him relay how his sister doesn't share his phobia, and finds it an issue he has to overcome. This isn't deep — none of the games, WW, especially, had any deep dialogue, but I love how the game gives these characters backstories and lore, rather than just being the representatives of the jobs that they do, or having a weird gimmick. And just as you said, the Able Sisters had a lot more to talk about than they did in any other game by quite a large margin. Here's a list of the all episodes that can happen within a year. Honestly, when we talk about dialogue in Animal Crossing, Wild World is a clear winner, here, and it's not even close.

I still think the first game wins, in terms of music, but there are a couple hourly themes I enjoy more. 8.a.m, and 9.a.m are both catchy and upbeat respectively, and 1.a.m fits the hour better with its more sober, quieter theme.

Last edited:
i genuinely love wild world so much. it’s been years since i’ve played, but it’ll always be special to me as it was my introduction to the animal crossing series. i was too young to appreciate it when i played, but now that i’m older, my favourite things about it are:

the dialogue
the soundtrack (still my favourite ac soundtrack to date!)
the villagers having hobbies/interests that could change
the messages in a bottle that you could receive and send out
the “message of the week” on the bulletin board
the bright nights festival
cornimer and the acorn festival
tom nook and sable’s backstory
the flower fest (was i the only one who stole their villagers’ flowers 😭)
donating to boondox
the tutorial

Not sure what to say that hasn't been said here before, but yeah acww really has some kind of special charm. The weekly board messages, the villagers actually having a personality (I think acww/accf are a perfect mid-point between rude and overly sweet), making constellations and having them appear at your friends' towns, the bottle messages.... I also love the made-up holidays in both acgc and acww, I wish they had kept them along with real-life ones, they made you feel like you actually were on a different world.

Also something I really like about acww are its graphics. For some reason I love how everything is so pixelated you can barely see the clothing's patterns, how lots of furniture is so tacky (new horizons, where is my ugly lovely series!!!) and the vibrant colors. I think that's why I wasnt able to get into accf after I accidentally deleted my savefile, it was acww but without its charm of ugly graphics. I just think every game should look like this lol
772851719866cd97b73fc44218e12f52b0cd5063.jpg

I got super into acww again last year and managed to archive a perfect town & golden watering can for my first time ever, I had forgotten how fun this game was, what it's lacking in content is gained in personality.

It's harder for me to get back into now after spending more time in other AC games (eg the events are worth coming back to imo but I may give some like Bright Nights another try) but I still think it's a great game and which I knew how many thousands of hours I had put into it.

This was definitely the game I put the most time into. I can’t bring myself to play it anymore, though. I don’t own the game or the system for it.

Back