• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Why does the gar hate me?

Tiffany

🌜 from Lunasoleil 🌞
Bells
Switch
3772-7854-6594
Blue Christmas Stocking
Blue Train Engine
Sleek Train Car
Cute Train Car
Floral Train Car
Yellow Caboose
Crystal Tree
Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Tockoid
Froggy Snowman
I recently started a new town which means having to get all the bugs,fish etc again. It's been a long time(I'm talkin years) since I've had to bother with some of these and I think I've forgotten what a pain it can be.
So I know it's in the lake between 4pm and 9am. I have been trying the save and reset but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
So does it have to be save and quit or does save and continue or go in a building work? Also when you save and come back do you just check the lake and if it's not there immediately save again? Or do you wait a certain amount of time? Do you still bother scaring fish?
Also What is the shadow size? Most places say big but I read some that say medium.
This is the last river fish I need for July(my game is set to the 9th fyi) and it's driving me crazy. I can't remember how I got this thing in my first town(again it's been years) but I think this must've been one I got by sheer luck and not actually searching for it. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I recently caught a Gar really early in the morning. Like 6 AM. It's actually the second Gar I've ever caught. I have tons of Dorados and Arapaimas.

Yes those I get in plenty but not one gar. grrrrrrr

I recently started a new town which means having to get all the bugs,fish etc again. It's been a long time(I'm talkin years) since I've had to bother with some of these and I think I've forgotten what a pain it can be.
So I know it's in the lake between 4pm and 9am. I have been trying the save and reset but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
So does it have to be save and quit or does save and continue or go in a building work? Also when you save and come back do you just check the lake and if it's not there immediately save again? Or do you wait a certain amount of time? Do you still bother scaring fish?
Also What is the shadow size? Most places say big but I read some that say medium.
This is the last river fish I need for July(my game is set to the 9th fyi) and it's driving me crazy. I can't remember how I got this thing in my first town(again it's been years) but I think this must've been one I got by sheer luck and not actually searching for it. Any help is appreciated.

It's a pretty big fish size! Not as big as arapaima but I think around dorado size. It's definitely not black bass/carp size. What helped for me was to just walk around town and then occasionally checking the lake. I spent a good amount of time just checking the lake over and over and it didn't work xD and then as soon as I stop thinking about it, I find one on the outskirt of the lake. Of course the game knows hahaha

Good luck! I'm having this same problem with the saddled bichir. Can't find any, and I think this one is actually harder because it's carp/bass size @__@

I discovered this chart for when, where, and what size shadows for fishing in ACNL. Its the best one I've seen. The website has it for bugs and sea creatures too. I have never done the resets but going in and out of buildings helps when I'm hunting/fishing on the island. Good luck with catching that Gar! I am still on the hunt for one of those too.

I discovered this chart for when, where, and what size shadows for fishing in ACNL. Its the best one I've seen. The website has it for bugs and sea creatures too. I have never done the resets but going in and out of buildings helps when I'm hunting/fishing on the island. Good luck with catching that Gar! I am still on the hunt for one of those too.

That's a helpful guide. Thanks for posting! The gar is a tough fish to catch. The only times (super rare!) I've got it have been when I wasn't actively trying to get it, but just randomly fishing.

Thank the ac gods I finally caught one! I thought it might never happen. Katrina is in town so at first I was just going in and out of her tent but I gave that up pretty quick. So I switched to save and continue,check for fish, repeat. The shadow is really big(like an arapaima) so that's what I thought it was a t first. I couldn't believe it when I saw that gar. I won't miss hanging around that lake.
Now all I need for the month is shark, saw shark, abalone,pearl oyster, horseshoe crab, spider, snail and golden beetle. Oh and the coelacanth but since it's all year I have plenty of time to get it. Good luck to those of you still trying to catch it and thanks for all the help :)

Back