• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why are the Early Bird and Night Owl ordinances complete jokes in this game?

all these comments brought up a lot of points i had never considered bc i literally don't bother with the ordinances in this game lmfaooo. that alone is probably a vote towards their uselessness yeahh

i like the points here about lucky ordinances being cool. but again, does that make katrina superfulous? 🤔 hmmm
Katrina can make you extra lucky. If the ordinances bring you 4-leaf clovers, she’ll give you 12-leaf clovers.

For instance, you sacrificed your luck for insect hunting to see more coelacanths and stringfish for less sea basses and black basses with the Lucky Town Ordinance on fish over bugs. If you got good item luck, your luck for insect hunting will be neutralized, as all cheaper fish will disappear from the waters completely for one day.

Katrina can make you extra lucky. If the ordinances bring you 4-leaf clovers, she’ll give you 12-leaf clovers.

For instance, you sacrificed your luck for insect hunting to see more coelacanths and stringfish for less sea basses and black basses with the Lucky Town Ordinance on fish over bugs. If you got good item luck, your luck for insect hunting will be neutralized, as all cheaper fish will disappear from the waters completely for one day.
compelling! i like the intricacies of these mechanics ! bring it on 👽💫

tbh the best reasons I've thought of for tropical fruit are "you can craft various items with fruit like furniture and wallpaper, adding the tropical fruit as well would mean having to design and model furniture for those as well alongside literally every other thing that needs to be designed and modelled", "NH is set on a deserted island, not a tropical one, so tropical fruit wouldn't naturally occur" and "they wanted to do crops instead as it better fits with the self-sufficiency vibe the game has"

They've not given you explicit reasons (admittedly this is because Nintendo is reportedly annoyingly secretive about gamedev outside of a few interviews for assorted publications and Iwata Asks/Ask The Developer), but you can take a look at what the game's doing and take a wild guess. It's better than just asking "WHY????!" all the time because it shows you're engaging with something (or at the very least, trying to engage with something)
lol that example isnt a good excuse anyway cuz they added an equal amount of vegetables along with the hundred or so food models and furniture models that came with it. they rlly just avoided adding tropical fruit for no reason lol

tbh the best reasons I've thought of for tropical fruit are "you can craft various items with fruit like furniture and wallpaper, adding the tropical fruit as well would mean having to design and model furniture for those as well alongside literally every other thing that needs to be designed and modelled", "NH is set on a deserted island, not a tropical one, so tropical fruit wouldn't naturally occur" and "they wanted to do crops instead as it better fits with the self-sufficiency vibe the game has"

They've not given you explicit reasons (admittedly this is because Nintendo is reportedly annoyingly secretive about gamedev outside of a few interviews for assorted publications and Iwata Asks/Ask The Developer), but you can take a look at what the game's doing and take a wild guess. It's better than just asking "WHY????!" all the time because it shows you're engaging with something (or at the very least, trying to engage with something)
That could be fixed by requiring any piece of fruit and not just a specific fruit if fruit items must be crafted. But even if they didn't want to do that, look at all the cooking and crafting recipes that involved specific crops, they didn't have a problem with that.

Id just have fruit items not craftable. The fruit are just reference props anyway during crafting. Go buy them from the shop or get them from an NPC.

-------------
I agree that the fruit shouldn't have been cut. They could have had it where fruit were locked on your island for more variety touring islands while dreaming and encourage trading if you really wanted all of them, but not required specific fruits for crafting, or have other fruit being a very rare spawn via kappn.

Also, we need bananas.. I mean we have a banana smoothie in a blender.

The Night Owl Ordinance being useless is the main reason why I can never play ACNH, my times to play games are always 10pm to 1am, and that's been the case for over 5 years now. I literally made 11pm my dedicated animal crossing time in 2018 and that's when I would do my ACNL dailies. Every time I try to play everything is closed. :(

I don’t get why people don’t like the Early Bird ordinance. I see some good points here but really, I never minded that stores open an hour early under Early Bird. I think that’s because I always wake up at around 6 AM to brush my teeth, then I just do stuff on my phone or whatever until 7 AM comes. As such, this whole issue seems like a matter of patience, varied priorities, etc.

As for Night Owl, I won’t say anything about it since I never had that as the set ordinance. But I’m sure what I said earlier should apply.

I don’t find them completely useless but they could have been better. There have definitely been times where the shops opening or closing an hour earlier/later have helped me. Especially with checking turnip prices. It would have been nice if it was two hours instead of just one.

Can you believe that we were BEGGING for ordinances in this game and when we got them, they were all nerfed?

• The Beautiful ordinance is good, as long as you make sure the flowers don't go overboard by duplicating everywhere. Shoveling flowers is not fun.
  • I'm not going over the Early Bird/Night Owl, you already addressed this well.
  • Bell Boom is the only good one here, however, the fact that buying items is more expensive, you'd only want to use this to sell things and turn it off when you've packed up on enough bells for this ordinance.
Overall, you're better off not using ANY ordinance. It worked well in New Leaf due to how poorly the mechanics worked with the greenery and store times, but in New Horizons the flowers never die and the store hours are very accurate with the opening/closing times that putting the Early Bird/Night Owl ordinances are unnecessary.

Moral of the story, use Bell Boom "ONLY!"

Back