• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Which game would you want a sequel for?

DarthGohan1

TBT Old Timer
Retired Staff
Bells
Chocolate Cake
Wallopoid
Wallopoid
Pavé
Cake
5 Envelopes
Mailbox
If you could choose any one game that either has never had a sequel, or hasn't had a new game in the series for a really long time (let's say around 10+ years), the question is simple:

Which game do you wish would have a new sequel be released?

I feel like Fantasy Life for the 3DS could do really well with a rerelease or sequel - it was released just a touch too soon to catch the wholesome/cozy game trend we’ve seen since Stardew Valley, and fits very well in that style. But while I love it, given the choice of any single game?

I’m going even more obscure. Even fewer people in existence seem to want this one, because while there have been spiritual successors no one’s quite captured the full beautiful weirdness in play. I want a third Endless Ocean game. Stunning aquatic locales. Extremely well-researched marine biology, which makes the points where they ignore it for gameplay all the more jarring. The vaguely mystical feel of underwater ruins. Swimming with a whale shark. An absurd number of Tragic Diving Accidents. Calming angry sharks (who will whack you with their tails when angered) with a pulsar gun that also heals sick fish because… I don’t know, it does. Abzu and Mythic Ocean get the mystical vibes, but they don’t get the educational value or the ridiculousness, and to my understanding Subnautica’s both too serious and too suspenseful.

tomodachi life, but i don't know how likely that is. nintendo received some backlash (and fairly so, it should've been more) for not including same-sex couples, and i think they'd be stupid to repeat that mistake in a sequel, but since i hear japan is still pretty conservative, i suspect they're holding back a sequel to avoid this issue. which is a shame, since it was a fun game, and it would be doubly so with slightly updated graphics and more features. (then again, i think i also heard they recently lifted their ban on something same-sex related? i'm not sure what, but even so, nintendo would probably pull a disney and still dodge it just to avoid being ""political"".)

it would never happen, but i also would've liked to see a more direct sequel to super paper mario. it's always been my favorite game in the series, and the entries arguably went downhill after it, but i miss the world, characters and story (and controls) from that game and would love to revisit them. i keep meaning to replay it, but it's a pain since i think the wii u was stored away some time ago.

slightly more likely. warioland? i admittedly don't know much about the series, but i played one of the games on my DS -- back when they had slots for gameboy cartridges. my copy didn't save, for some reason, but i still loved playing it. it was super unique and funky and the bosses/enemies had whacky designs. i'm pretty you can play that version on desktop. still, i'd love a follow-up to that series with HD graphics and slightly better controls.

also. MK9 and a follow-up to donkey kong: tropical freeze.
(that was released in 2014? and country was 2010? jesus, i feel old.) i keep putting off buying it because i'm pretty sure i own it for the wii u and definitely own country returns on the regular wii. i'd prefer a sequel (threequel?) over repurchasing a game i already own for full retail price. this is why i hate the wii u (and even DS, in miitopia's case) to switch ports lmao.

I really want Fantasy Life 2. They did release a "sequel" but it's a Japan only mobile game which is just so disappointing. I hope they make a proper sequel for Switch because I feel it would do really well! It was such a fun time playing with my boyfriend and it's one of my absolute favourite games.

That's a really tough one. I would honestly love a sequel to the original Sonic Riders game. We got Zero Gravity which was fun and then Free Riders which wasn't very good. Though I'd really love a modern sequel to the original mechanics. It would be really fun to have online multiplayer as an addition to it. Though, with the way SEGA has handled the franchise lately, I can't confidently say it would be good. I think it's such a fun and unique racing game that I really wish they'd make another. F-Zero GX is kind of a tie with this one to be honest since both are amazing.

Rhythm Thief. The game was so good and it’s disappointing that it never got a second game. Yeah some of the missions were hard to do, but I enjoyed nearly everything about it.

It took me a bit to come up with an answer for this. I typically play sports games which produce new games every year with updated rosters and maybe new features. Due to this, it took me a while to think of a game I would love a sequel to. I play a few games not in the sports genre, and one that comes to mind immediately that did not have a sequel is The Dog Island. I had so much fun with this game. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants to try something new. I doubt it would ever get a sequel, but I can hope. Despite the plain look of the cover, this is a great game with an even better storyline. It’s definitely better than it looks.

tomodachi life, but i don't know how likely that is. nintendo received some backlash (and fairly so, it should've been more) for not including same-sex couples, and i think they'd be stupid to repeat that mistake in a sequel, but since i hear japan is still pretty conservative, i suspect they're holding back a sequel to avoid this issue. which is a shame, since it was a fun game, and it would be doubly so with slightly updated graphics and more features. (then again, i think i also heard they recently lifted their ban on something same-sex related? i'm not sure what, but even so, nintendo would probably pull a disney and still dodge it just to avoid being ""political"".)

tomodachi life is a sequel, actually! it’s a sequel to tomodachi collection, which released exclusively in japan. i’d definitely love to see a new game as well, though — especially one that includes same-sex relationships! i think i remember reading somewhere that nintendo promised to include same-sex relationships in the next tomodachi life game, but that was years ago, and like you said, i’m not sure how likely it is lol. i really hope it happens one day, though — it was such a fun game, and i have so many fond memories of playing it. it made 12yo me really happy aha. :’)

tomodachi life is a sequel, actually! it’s a sequel to tomodachi collection, which released exclusively in japan. i’d definitely love to see a new game as well, though — especially one that includes same-sex relationships! i think i remember reading somewhere that nintendo promised to include same-sex relationships in the next tomodachi life game, but that was years ago, and like you said, i’m not sure how likely it is lol. i really hope it happens one day, though — it was such a fun game, and i have so many fond memories of playing it. it made 12yo me really happy aha. :’)

oh, i know, but i meant a sequel to tomodachi life specifically. so a threequel, i suppose, or another entry in the series. there was sort of a soft sequel in miitomo, but that was a mobile app and has since been discontinued. also, wild to think that TL released 7 years ago. the hell? time truly is an illusion. i kept going back to it every now and again but it didn't hold my attention like it used to because a lot of my miis were styled after my favorite characters at the time, and now i'm not in those fandoms anymore so it's a bit meh, but i also don't have the heart to restart lmao. i shall have to wait until they potentially make a follow up.

I would do anything for an Elite Beat Agents sequel. As a spin off of the Japanese exclusive Ouendan series, EBA was made with western audiences in mind. The game had around a dozen stages featuring covers of American pop/rock songs. Each stage also had a little story to follow along with. Do well in the level and the characters will get a happy ending. In spite of its short length the game had a lot of charm. Sadly EBA was only a modest success. It’s been 15 years and there still hasn’t been a follow up. With the DS/3DS discontinued, it’d be difficult to replicate the game on modern hardware. At least it inspired Osu, a freeware PC game with the same gameplay.

I would do anything for an Elite Beat Agents sequel. As a spin off of the Japanese exclusive Ouendan series, EBA was made with western audiences in mind. The game had around a dozen stages featuring covers of American pop/rock songs. Each stage also had a little story to follow along with. Do well in the level and the characters will get a happy ending. In spite of its short length the game had a lot of charm. Sadly EBA was only a modest success. It’s been 15 years and there still hasn’t been a follow up. With the DS/3DS discontinued, it’d be difficult to replicate the game on modern hardware. At least it inspired Osu, a freeware PC game with the same gameplay.
That was such a unique game, and everyone loved it. It's hard to believe they never made a sequel for Eeite Beat Agents.

I really want Fantasy Life 2. They did release a "sequel" but it's a Japan only mobile game which is just so disappointing. I hope they make a proper sequel for Switch because I feel it would do really well! It was such a fun time playing with my boyfriend and it's one of my absolute favourite games.
the mobile game is getting a worldwide localisation, actually! so it won’t be Japan-only any more relatively soon. huge agree with fantasy life, though — that’s what I came into this thread to say only to see multiple people brought it up first lol. I think a switch remaster or an actual console sequel would do it good, especially if they add all (or at least some....) of the jobs the original game scrapped to it.

I’d also really like to see a ghost trick sequel even though that’s never going to happen because the game wrapped itself up nicely, i just love that game and want more of it and the world in it 😭

New Leaf
Rayman 2 The Great Escape
TimeSplitters

I'm in the same boat with TimeSplitters. Thankfully it looks like it's FINALLY happening in the future, though. I'm beyond amped. I'm hoping for that, as well as a new Jak and Daxter myself. That was my favorite series, behind Ratchet and Clank, during the PS2 era.

I'm in the same boat with TimeSplitters. Thankfully it looks like it's FINALLY happening in the future, though. I'm beyond amped. I'm hoping for that, as well as a new Jak and Daxter myself. That was my favorite series, behind Ratchet and Clank, during the PS2 era.
It's unfortunate that TimeSplittes 4 got cancelled back then (so did the Rayman 4 the sequel to Rayman 2..) , it looked incredible from what they showed, but the fan project is ongoing, and they got permission to finish the fan game, unfortunately it have been running for years, and they're not allowed to make any money from the project, so who knows when it'll be done.

Golden Sun. 😭 Either a sequel or a remaster! It's so forgotten but it's such a good series. I also agree with Fantasy Life! I was completely addicted to that game and would really like to see another like it on the Switch. I feel like they could do so much more with it but all they made after was a mobile game that didn't even come to the US.

Back