When should a guy pay on the date?

I guess I'm pretty simple when it comes to this. I'll pay if I ask you out, (or in this case if you organise something for the other person their bhirtday), unless you really want to split the bill. I expect the bill to be split if you ask me out, this just because I feel like following the gender role for at least a fair bit.

It isn't really a big thing for me, a date is just for fun. Though I doubt we'll have fun anytime soon if you expect me to pay for everything on beforehand regardless of who asks who and you decide to buy half of what the possible shop has in stock.

Coming back to your situation, I don't think it's wrong of you to expect him to pay for the dinner. Or if he decided to switch the payment roles between the movie and dinner around. Besides, he's your boyfriend so it would be more normal that he pays for you (partly) than if he was dating you, at least in my opinion. I just recommend you to not get pissed of too much, it will spoil the fun you have had, you can always talk about it with him just like you did with this thread.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it guys, I'm not too upset about it now. Having a good night's sleep has helped and I plan to spend the whole day with my best friends. :)

Well, on a general perspective, I don't think that either male or female should be expected to pay for a date... Like unless one partner actively says "Hey, I don't mind paying for today's meal" or whatever, but it's not something that should be EXPECTED of a certain gender. And I mean I would happily pay half and half on a date, that's what me and my friends do, and even I wouldn't mind paying for it all, despite the fact I am female. x3 But either way... It was your birthday, and it seems a little unfair for your boyfriend to expect you to pay for your own birthday meal. :\

as far as i'm concerned, equality doesn't mean chivalry and tradition has to go out the window and any lame jerk bandwagoning on feminism to get out of paying for a date isn't worth my time anyway

if the guy asks me on a date i'd kind of expect him to pay, especially if it's a first date
when you're actually in a relationship it's different, i'd almost always offer to pay my own way but still accept him paying a lot of the time

if they asked you out it'd be kind of rude for them to expect you to pay imo..
but listen, this is your boyfriend we're talking about. you gotta communicate these things and come up with a consensus on who pays what and when. this is just generally speaking in other situations. but you do have a right to be upset that it was on your birthday. you should def talk about it next time it comes up though.

Whoever arranged the date should be the one to pay, imo. Female, male or whatever. The idea that guys should always be the one paying is stupid asf anyway.

a guy paid $200 to go out and buy a quesadilla for me from moes once am i a god?

yeah, but its not just paying for the date, she said he didn't even wish her Happy Birthday.

whether male or female, imo life is too short to date somebody that doesnt make you feel special on special days...

yeah, but its not just paying for the date, she said he didn't even wish her Happy Birthday.

whether male or female, imo life is too short to date somebody that doesnt make you feel special on special days...
Of course! I usually treat my friends on their birthdays and they do the same with me. Don't expect it if they can't fork up the money. But yeah, it's definitely clear the guy didn't have his priorities right.

tom i'd give you like $2 and a half eaten quesadilla

?\_(ツ)_/? It's something, plus I'd get to hang out with a god so that's cool.

We ended up talking and things are fine now. We're going to give each other Christmas presents this year, I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)

We ended up talking and things are fine now. We're going to give each other Christmas presents this year, I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)

ah what happened? you can't leave us hanging-- (well you can if you prefer, lol)

I always feel obligated to pay, but if the gal wants to pay, she can go right ahead. I just find it in my nature to pay for everything. Hell even when I'm out with one of my dudes, I'll offer to pay for his sushi or whatever we're doing.

I don't think the guy has to pay for the date unless he volunteers. Nobody should assume the other is paying without asking them first. That'll lead to some awkward issues later.
I personally think that that should be discussed ahead of time.

i personally always pay for my own half in dates, even if they offer i feel too awkward accepting. however, if it's my birthday i'd expect them to pay (just like i'd pay when it's their birthday) but i'm glad you sorted things out, maybe there was a reason he didn't pay :)

Back