Pokémon When do you think Pokémon will end?

When do you think Pokémon will end?

• 9th Generation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10th Generation

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11th Generation

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 12th Generation

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Some time after 12th Generation

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • They will stop making new species, but the franchise still lives on

Votes: 66 62.9%

• Total voters
While I still believe Pokémon will continue, notice that every generation since Gen 2 was the end of an era for Pokémon.
  • Gen 2 was the last generation of the “golden age” of Pokémon. Every generation after became more polarizing as time went on.
  • Gen 3 was the last generation before the introduction to wi-fi in the series.
  • Gen 4 was the last generation with the common staples of past Pokémon games (like third version, region based on Japan, single-use TMs).
  • Gen 5 was the last generation before the modern era of Pokémon (which started on the 3DS).
  • Gen 6 was the last generation to have traditional Pokémon games. The last three generations did several things differently (Gen 7 had no gyms, Gen 8 didn’t have a proper Pokémon League format, and Gen 9 had three separate story lines).
  • Gen 7 was the last generation to be completely on the handheld systems. It was also the last generation to support every Pokémon species up to date.
  • Gen 8 was the last generation to have 2D Gameplay in any form. It was also Ash Ketchum’s last generation in the anime.
  • Gen 9 was the last generation where new species had Pokédex numbers in the triple digit zone. Although we had over a hundred species from the very beginning, it wasn’t until this generation when we got to 1,000 species.
As depressing as it sounds, Pokémon has come a long way for the last 27 years.

It’ll last as long as humans are on this Earth. Humans love money. Pokémon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time. Do the math.

I hope at some point, like Gen 10 they just pull a Gen 5 and do only new Pokémon in the region but don’t add any old ones at all and it’s basically a reboot. Or atleast retire some of the older Pokémon, through a time travel or something where they go extinct.

I’m sort of getting to a point where I’m sick of the same Pokémon being rehashed, certain Pokémon getting special treatment and someone Pokémon having not been available in a couple of gens…

Hm, I honestly don't see it ending as long as it makes money. Think of how long Disney has lasted, and Pokémon is quite beloved because it's so personal.

It's possible it could die out after a few decades of no longer connecting with younger audiences + financial woes, but that won't be for a while. I think it would take a global catastrophe occurring for it to fizzle out beforehand.

That being said, I kind of hope they calm down on species' creation. I fear it's getting to the point where new species are only relevant during their generation.

I don't see the franchise ending any time soon. Not even stop introducing new Pokémon. However, this is GameFreak we're talking about, so it's not too far from something they'd do. It's kind of sad that it will ever happen, I'd say it continues until the fan base starts really dying down, possibly the next 30 years. You know, because they have to have a lot of people buying their games because
IMG_5540.jpeg

But at the rate it's going, it might only take a few wrong moves for people to stop liking the series. So this could come a lot sooner than I expect.

I don’t think it will ever truly end. I think some of the newer Pokémon designs are weird or unoriginal, but they’re gonna keep cranking them out. They’ll also keep making their anime-style humans. (Chairman Rose is very handsome…as is Professor Oak.) It’s way too popular and makes them a lot of money, so why quit? I’m curious to see what they’ll do next. (I love the Applin/Dipplin/Appletun/Flapple series of Pokémon, as far as newer species go.)

It will never end. The Pokémon franchise is the highest-grossing media franchise in history and they won't kill the the goose that lays the golden eggs. Despite that they don't care much about the quality of the newest games, they don't even fix the bugs. Disappointing.

I don't think it ever will, not truly. Maybe they'll cut back, but as long as people keep buying the merchandise and all of the remakes, it will continue.

I really strongly believe that a mega franchise cultural phenomenon like Pokémon will ever end.
If it keeps making Nintendo/Game Freak/Pokémon Company boatloads of money there's no reason to stop, though I do believe that with unrivaled success comes complacency (which we're already starting to see with Pokémon) and if fans don't start putting their foots down then we're just going to keep getting less and less and paying the same price or higher

So basically, the series will live on forever, but will worsen in quality if things keep in the direction they're going

There are several dead franchises with vocal fanbases. Like the Bionicle fanbase, the F-Zero fanbase, and the Peoplemover fanbase (seriously, when will they return that ride?).
They might be vocal but I feel like many people haven’t heard about them.

Literally everyone and their mother knows what Pokémon is

There are several dead franchises with vocal fanbases. Like the Bionicle fanbase, the F-Zero fanbase, and the Peoplemover fanbase (seriously, when will they return that ride?).
those things did NOT have the same kind of media hype and longevity that pokemon does and did at the time of release. pokemon was an absolute pop culture phenomenon that F-Zero doesn't even scratch the surface on. if something is as profitable as pokemon is, it will live.

Honestly, never... It's like the Simpsons, they just keep coming out with more seasons. It's kinda of sad, however I do enjoy the new games. I ALWAYS used to say "The anime kept getting worse, and the games kept getting better."

As the 4th and 5th generation came out, I dipped out of the fandom and was like. Ok, I'm done, they've ruined Pokemon. But gen 6 came out and changed everything, and I was like, Okay, I'm back haha. The changes just keep happening year after year so why fight it? LOL

pokemon is one of the few things I'd honestly be willing to bet that it would even survive the inevitable collapse of society, with how big it is

I voted on this a long time ago and my stance hasn't changed: it will last more than just 12 gens, it will keep going. It may be different than what we expected, but like Mario and other well-known franchises, it will carry on. Now, there may be some Pokémon related things like Go or Sleep that may fall off and never recover. However, I think that the franchise as a whole will continue. It is the highest grossing video game franchise...for now, so it is the most likely out of all video game franchises to have staying power. Not even Palworld will compete and it really is a slight ripoff of Pokémon. Yokai Watch failed to do so as well and you don't really hear about it anymore. Even though I believe Pokémon will survive, it may have less fans in the future as our current day. Pokémon really fails to get the younger audience because they consistantly dumb down the games. When I was a kid, I wasn't dumb. I loved exploration. I loved finding out things on my own. I did all of those things even before you could find out things online. Failing to reach a younger audience may be Pokémon's undoing to get the younger audience but it will endure. Monster catching/collecting is a genre that Pokémon defined and reached worldwide success so I doubt it will "end".

Last edited:
Back