• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

When do villagers start moving out?

jakeypride

Bells
White Cosmos
Astral Inner Planet Floating Gold #10
The Bell Tree Fair 2014 Patch
I finally got a full 10 villagers about 3 days ago and nobody has pinged me yet or had the thought bubbles above their head.

I’m actually hoping to get a villager out and believe it or not - it’s Audie who will promptly be posted on here.

You don't need 10 villagers for them to ask to move - Pietro is moving off my island tomorrow, and I only have 9. In your case, there's not much you can do but wait. If you want a specific villager to move out, ignore them while talking to everyone else (even when they ping you).

I had 7 villagers when Curlos asked to move out, it seems to be random for everyone.

He asked to move out only 3 days after moving in. What I did was I talked to him when he arrived and was in boxes and then never again, but talked to everyone else. Don't know if this a surefire method but it worked for me (at least once).

I'm getting my 9th villager tomorrow and I've been playing day by day no TT since launch and I havent had any pings for move outs either. Meanwhile my girlfriend has had two in the same amount of time.

I think it's just random.

You don't need 10 villagers for them to ask to move - Pietro is moving off my island tomorrow, and I only have 9. In your case, there's not much you can do but wait. If you want a specific villager to move out, ignore them while talking to everyone else (even when they ping you).

That’s incorrect. They can’t move out in this game without letting you know.. Also it doesn’t matter how much you talk to them. It’s random.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's completely random. I also have 7 villagers at the moment, and Bubbles had a thought bubble and wanted to move today. Just last night she pinged me to give me a gift and said "only the best prezzies for my bestie"

I had 7 villagers when Curlos asked to move out, it seems to be random for everyone.

He asked to move out only 3 days after moving in. What I did was I talked to him when he arrived and was in boxes and then never again, but talked to everyone else. Don't know if this a surefire method but it worked for me (at least once).

I'm totally doing that. When can I set up my plot for my 7th villager? Is it tomorrow (day 10)?

It's taking forever for mine to move out and I don't TT :( I have at least 3 I want gone. No one has asked to move so far! I ordered some amiibo cards for the first time a while ago, hopefully I get at least 1 cute villager in those. I also hope someone moves before then because delivery will take longer than usual because of covid 19.

Today (Day 16), with a full village, my first villager asked to move out (Octavian, my #9 villager).

Edit - I'll add that I talk to each villager extensively every day.

Last edited:
I have 9 villagers and one was thinking about moving out today. Note he was "thinking", he did not ping me. Also may be important to note he was the starting jock character... I was going to kick him out soon via amiibo anyways, so I told him to leave.

A couple hours after making my post here, Hazel pinged me to move out. She's been on my island since day 1, not sure if that has anything to do with it (my girlfriend's day 1 pinged her a couple days ago as well).

A little off-topic: Can you accidentally lose villagers? Because in New Leaf you could possibly lose a villager if he/she wanted to move (not in boxes yet, but the day before that). If your other villagers did not tell you and you did not talk to said villager that day to tell him/her to stay they would be in boxes the next day and be gone the day after that. I know that this caused a lot of anxiety for people in NL. Today Molly had this "thinking Cloud" and told me she's thought about leaving. Would I have lost her, of I hadn't talked to her?

That’s incorrect. They can’t move out in this game without letting you know.. Also it doesn’t matter how much you talk to them. It’s random.
I didn't mean they could leave without speaking to you. However, if you ignore them completely (up until they have thought bubbles and ask you if they should leave), they'll move quicker. It's the same method @Altarium used, and it's not random.

Oh no! I just had my first villager ask me to move. It was Pietro, who I don't want in my town permanently but I don't think I'm ready to boot him out until one of my less liked villagers move. I wish we could choose the order villagers leave in the same way that we have more control over who moves/plots now.

honestly it's hard to say what causes villagers to move out anymore. elise was only with me for a few days (like 4 or so?) and after talking to her once a day she asked to move today. she didn't even come to up to me with a sad cloud icon over her head, just pinged me and asked. my current theory is that the game looks at ur relationship with all the villagers and compares them and whoever has the least or most amount of friendship may ask to leave. but ive nothing to back this up, so.

I wish I knew, I have four villagers to kick out (Ed, Sparro, Hamlet and Agnes) and I don't know when they'll decide to go. Two days ago my favourite villager, whom I talk to the most, has asked to leave, whereas the ones I ignored never asked. So I decided to talk to everyone equally and hope... Just hope. Haha.

Back