• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

When did you start playing Animal Crossing?

When did you start playing Animal Crossing?

• Total voters
started at the very start of wild world era (late 2005), but i started with and by far poured the most time into ACGC; my gamecube was an 8th birthday present that year and i stumbled upon it while looking for games with boxart pretty and / or colourful enough to catch my eye at my local gamestop. fell in love instantly :')

I am one of the few people it seems that started with ACNH. I just somehow missed the entire franchise during my young gaming years! Not sure how!

I started with New Leaf, right towards the end of NL's era! I started on New Year's Eve of 2019, so very close to New Horizon's release, but I'm glad it was my first game since it familiarized me with a lot about the series (and meant that NH had seen a lot of updates/bug fixes by the time I started playing it). Oddly, I don't recall ever seeing/hearing about the series in my childhood either—I only started hearing about AC from others online when I was a teenager. I played games on the DS and the Wii, so I'm a little surprised that I never encountered it.

I don't entirely remember which game I started with but in terms of timing, it makes sense for it to fall around the city folk era - i definitely played wild world, but i think i must've played CF first since i likely had a wii before any kind of DS? either way i then played NL right from the beginning (hence my join date on this forum lol) and of course was a day 1 NH player

i was just looking around for nintendo switch games and then i saw “animal crossing new horizons”. it seemed interesting so i decided to get it because it was the start of the pandemic and i was bored. even though it came almost a month after the release date because my package was on back-order forever, i immediately fell for the game and ive been a big fan of the franchise ever since. i eventually got city folk later that year but ive been on a burnout for accf for a while.

My first game was the Animal Crossing to Gamecube in 2006 during the Wild World era. I first heard of Animal Crossing through my brother who had Wild World at the time. I saw the Gamecube game and told him about it and he went and bought it. One of the best things I ever did.

I started with City Folk because I spotted it when I got my wii lol
but I later went back and played the GC version and put quite a lot of time into it, too

never cared for WW so I didn't play it much

The results of this poll are extremely telling of which games in the series generated the strongest bonds to players, to have people seek out and build online communities for the games. 'Specially if you consider how many copies of the games were sold alongside the ratios in the poll here.

I think in 2007 with wild world, I saw my friend play it in third grade, and my sister and I asked our dad for it. It was super fun, and I remember spending hours on it. I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't figure out turnips as a kid. I liked talking to the towns people and I bought a lot of stuff.

I started with the GameCube version and have played every game in the series since, including all the spinoffs. I remember helping my sister finish her house upgrades in the original game. It definitely wasn’t easy. From there I kept playing with other people more and more. Animal Crossing has always held a special place in my heart even though it’s not one of my favorite games. 💚

wild world, i think! my cousin owned Population Growing but it never really stuck out to me since I was young. I played Wild World up until the release of new leaf. I also think that I had City Folk, But I was less active on there as a whole. I mostly just played WII Sports Resort and Cooking Mama LOL. Also the Mario Games. My longest played game was New Leaf. I played that one since it came out until a year or two before New Horizons was released. :)

My parents still have no clue what they did when they handed me the GameCube game came when I first got the GameCube back in that era xD. They still get surprised when I get each game since xD

Decided to change my vote to the fourth generation because Pocket Camp is still in an Animal Crossing game, just much more barebones than any of them.

Last edited:
My six-year-old (then) grandson introduced me to ACNL in April 2016. We played together on his town then I started playing his town, with his permission, of course, while he was at school or sleeping. He eventually gave me the cartridge and I bought a used 3DS XL. (The Year of Luigi 30th-it’s silver) I tore that town of Novaria down to practically nothing and rebuilt it, keeping only my villagers and my second character, (and mayor, of course).

My adult daughters were highly amused. One of them even bought me a New 2DS XL when they came out! I have three sisters who all know I play, but I rarely talk to them about my game because they think it is for kids.

I bought my second copy around the beginning of 2017 when it became a Nintendo Select. I loved starting my own town and I love that I knew so much about it that I reset for the town layout. It only took eleven tries. I played hundreds of hours for eight months and “finished” my favorite town of Elenrast. Sounds corny but I put my soul in that town.

My grandson and I played together, fishing, deep-sea diving and having a ball jumping off the pier at the same time! As he got older, though, Minecraft and Dragonvale became his go-to games. Before New Horizons I would look at his game when I went to pick his perfect fruit. His villagers came and went without his even knowing. Last time I looked he only had eight and someone new was moving in.

I was definitely on the slippery slope that TBT member Hoodathotit (now my husband) talks about, on my way to multiple towns. I have five NL towns but since New Horizons I have only opened them to update Dream Addresses. I have two NH islands, one of them “finished” and the other very close. Maybe I will go back to my two unfinished NL towns some day!

The year was 2006, I was in high school. I went over to one of my best friend's house to watch LOTR and play games. She asks me if I've ever played the Sims. I believe it was Sims 2. I had not and we played for an hour. I found the game incredibly stressful. My character kept having to pee. Then she suggested we play Animal Crossing on the Gamecube. I instantly fell in love with the game. I bought it that week. That was the start of my AC journey. I don't talk with that friend anymore but I wish I could let her know she changed the course of my life haha.

i started playing in early 2014, when i was about 7 or 8 during the nl era, and my first game was nl. i was kind of forced into playing it bc my sister was tired of me playing pokemon y all the time. when i saw the trailer back in 2011-2012 or so i thought id be bored with it but here i am now

I'm surprised how few people voted for ACNH! I saw a ton of new players thanks to it, but I guess most of them simply stayed on other social medias.
About my first game, technically it was ACWW in 2006 but I lost it shortly after, so I consider ACCF my first one. I played it almost daily from 2008 to ACNL's release, it's the game I got most memories with (sadly, I erased my original town....)

I honestly don't know the exact year. My memory is garbage😬 I wish I did know, but I don't really have a way of lookin back to see.

I saw my dad play City Folk and I wanted to play it, so he looked up Animal Crossing games and saw there was one for the DS, which I already had. I don't know if he got City Folk right when the Wii came out or later. I just voted for City Folk since I was playing AC in that time anyway. I remember being really excited for NL's release back in summer. NL was the first time I ever actually watched a Nintendo Direct.

I'm also surprised at the small amount of votes City Folk has.

Back