• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What’s your personal tier list? - smug villagers

I don't like the smug boys very much, sadly, but there are a few standouts:
tiersmug.png

Pietro and Chadder are both favorites of mine just because Cheese Rat and Clown Sheep are kind of silly, but aside from them I could take or leave the whole personality. 😅

D045C430-E3DE-420A-8AC3-0EECE8B81366.png

This is a bit more bottom-heavy than my other tier lists tend to be. The Smugs have a lot of villagers that are a little too human for my tastes. Lionel and Jacques get a pass because, I dunno, I like them.

Here's mine. I didn't really take this all that seriously but it was still fun to do. :)

Ppqt7ej.png

Although the ones in D are really the Smugs I really don't care that much for and I wouldn't be happy if they are the forced Smug on my island but they will be welcome and treated nicely like my other islanders

Wow, I see a lot of people are meh with Chops. He not really getting any love. XD

IDLV9xn.jpg

Ever since I started playing New Horizons, my opinion about some of the Smug villagers changed a lot compared to New Leaf. For example: I was back then never a huge fan of Lionel, actually really disliked him. At some point in NH, he moved onto my island and instead of getting mad about it, I thought I would give him a chance. Now he became one of my favorites over the time, he's not that bad as I thought he would be and when it comes to his design, he actually reminds me of a comedian I really like. Herny and Phil are another pair of Smugs I like more now due to the fact that I also gave them a chance.

I still dislike Chadder, like I think he will never be on a higher tier. Kyle as well as Kidd, which I both used to like a lot, became kinda meh for me nowadays hence why I put them on B, as they used to be on A or even S.

i’ve been pretty vocal about how smug is my least favourite personality, but making this made me realize that maybe i don’t dislike the smug villagers as much as i thought — at least, i don’t dislike their appearances as much as i thought. i definitely still hate the dialogue. 😅

8F89D534-C557-48BE-B7AD-1D3BB3F90586.png

most of these villagers rankings’ were based on their appearance tbh as since i don’t care much for the smugs, i haven’t had many of them, either in new leaf or in new horizons.

i have had all of my “S” and “A” tier villagers, though, and while they’ve stayed pretty constant throughout the years, kyle is a new addition. i haven’t had him since new leaf, but while i wasn’t really fond of him for the longest time, he’s grown on me quite a bit and i’d definitely be interested in having him one day should i ever run into him. pietro’s also a fairly new favourite of mine as well since i absolutely hated him in new leaf, but he’s grown on me a lot since new horizons’ release and since i had him on my island earlier this year. he also taught me the last reaction that i needed, so he gets bonus points for that!

henry being in the middle tier rather than being all the way at the bottom is new as well, but after giving it some thought, i’ve realized that i don’t think that i dislike him as much as i thought i did. i’ve been catching myself judging a few villagers unfairly without even knowing them since the game came out, and while i don’t know what that’s about and i have had henry, he’s actually not that bad and he’s pretty cute, too. :’)

overall, my tier list has definitely changed a bit since i last made one, but i’m not complaining! i suspect that my tier list will continue to change once i’ve had a few of the smugs that i’m interested in (namely kyle and ken). i’m interested in giving the villagers in the bottom tier a chance one day, too, so i’m sure that my tier list will change even more after that!
38E9174A-CFE8-410D-913A-FEC543CD6848.png

i’ve been pretty vocal about how smug is my least favourite personality, but making this made me realize that maybe i don’t dislike the smug villagers as much as i thought — at least, i don’t dislike their appearances as much as i thought. i definitely still hate the dialogue. 😅

View attachment 390269

most of these villagers rankings’ were based on their appearance tbh as since i don’t care much for the smugs, i haven’t had many of them, either in new leaf or in new horizons.

i have had all of my “S” and “A” tier villagers, though, and while they’ve stayed pretty constant throughout the years, kyle is a new addition. i haven’t had him since new leaf, but while i wasn’t really fond of him for the longest time, he’s grown on me quite a bit and i’d definitely be interested in having him one day should i ever run into him. pietro’s also a fairly new favourite of mine as well since i absolutely hated him in new leaf, but he’s grown on me a lot since new horizons’ release and since i had him on my island earlier this year. he also taught me the last reaction that i needed, so he gets bonus points for that!

henry being in the middle tier rather than being all the way at the bottom is new as well, but after giving it some thought, i’ve realized that i don’t think that i dislike him as much as i thought i did. i’ve been catching myself judging a few villagers unfairly without even knowing them since the game came out, and while i don’t know what that’s about and i have had henry, he’s actually not that bad and he’s pretty cute, too. :’)

overall, my tier list has definitely changed a bit since i last made one, but i’m not complaining! i suspect that my tier list will continue to change once i’ve had a few of the smugs that i’m interested in (namely kyle and ken). i’m interested in giving the villagers in the bottom tier a chance one day, too, so i’m sure that my tier list will change even more after that!

The blue heart next to ew is just so perfect. I always think it would be nicer to be hated by @xara than liked by most other people! 🥰

I initially also was very put off by the smug dialogue…they can come across as very cringey/ arrogant and weird flirty if it is the wrong design for you. But the ones I like I have found I really really love (for me this seems to be sort of adorkable babies, but that is just me), and something about the design makes the dialogue loveable rather than obnoxious for me.

I think my tier list has made a similar shift - basically over time I like more and more villagers, or at least can tolerate them. Which is why being stuck only having room for 10 is a real struggle 😭

my-image.png

Oh dont feel bad if there was a thread a year ago! I think these are a lot of fun, and also peoples opinions on favorite villagers are going to change over time.

When it comes to smugs, it seems there's a few I really adore and like, but most I am not interested in even a little bit!

this is one of my favorite groups of villagers (possibly my favorite) so ofc I like most of them! there are just a few exceptions 😅

also yall know I had to make a totally separate S+ tier for my favorite villager ever lol 🥰

20210816_082938.png

edit: after some careful consideration I would bump O'Hare up to the S tier, he's quite a lovely lad <33

Last edited:
I really like more smugs than I dislike. They are all so adorable with their tenor voices and fashion sense.

Colton is my all time favorite, with Raymond a close second. I'd have any of the S or A tier ones back in an instant. I wish we could have more villager plots!

my-image.png

smugtier.png

I feel like I should provide context for some of them so here you go. Chadder I just don't vibe with to be honest. He's never done anything to rub me the wrong way but I just can't. Kidd was one of my forced smugs and he was so disrespectful it's not even funny. He fought with everyone on the island. Everytime I'd spot him having a conversation with another villager, it always ended up being negative. Rodney reminds me of someone I knew in high school who bullied me. It's unfortunate because I'm sure he's sweet and I don't automatically hate villagers just because their designs are a bit unappealing, but yeah. I can't.

Smugtier.png

There are still quite a few I haven't met yet though. And since time has gone on, I have been more open to Pietro even though he is scary. Alot of people talk about how cute he is in game on their island.
That lion will be forever in my mind as that weird pee lion and I don't think it will ever change due to that HHP quest. He will forever be last.

my-image (4).png

Probably my most mixed one yet.

S: I love all of them in this tier. None of them can go lower. Out of these Julian and Ken are my favourites. Julian is a unicorn and Ken is a ninja chicken.

A: Great designs. All are easy on the eyes. Some like Pietro are good for diversity of designs. Phil was my first smug ever so he's on this tier for precisely that. Not that much of a fan of Marshal but I have to admit he has a great design.

B: Ok designs. They wouldn't be my first choices but theyre not bad.

C: Designs are strange and not to my tastes.

D: Nope! Never on my island!

I’m pretty picky about smugs, and that hasn’t changed really - the As are not that close to the Ss. Though like with all villagers, as time goes in I tend to like more and more of them.

I don’t really love the personality - which for me can come off as pretty annoying.

At the same time, I realized that I love graham enough to put him in the S tier with Rodney.

Lionel, though I didn’t like him at all when he was my first villager, I realize I feel a fondness for now, since he was on my island. And also, the lions just look so cuddly, don’t they? Raymond also grew on my when I briefly had him on one of my attempts at a second island.

IMG_2937.png

Anyway, all hail the hamster supremacy.

Back