• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What’s your personal tier list? - smug villagers

WaileaNoRei

Once and forever
Bells
Island
Wailea
Red Rose
White Rose
Yellow Rose
Pink Hybrid Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
Dreamy Easter Egg
Paradise Planning Easter Egg
Rotating Fool's Egg
I love seeing how different everyone’s tastes are in villagers. Even though sometimes it seems like everyone likes the same group of popular villagers, I find really most people like a mix of popular and unpopular villagers.

I’ve also found that my opinions on villagers are constantly changing, even a year into playing ACNH.

so show me your own personal tier list, not how popular the villagers are, but how you personally see them. And tell me why you love who you love, or if you prefer, why you hate who you hate. Or however you want to share your thoughts. I hope to do this with each personality, but thought I’d start with smugs, a very polarizing group sometimes, I think! Feel free to express your opinions, but try to remember to be respectful to those whose favorites may be different than yours!

here is the tier maker I used, for those interested, though you can show your rankings however you want:

(I know there was a similar thread to this last year, but it has been ages so I thought it was better to create a new thread than dig deep into the old thread to revive it) I don’t think you need to have an account to use tiermaker and I always screenshot my tier lists rather than actually saving/ dow

here is my tier list:

1627878985828.png

I knew I would like Rodney, since he is a hamster after all, but it surprised me how much I came to just love him. He blew all my former favorite smugs out of the water, even my still beloved Graham. Overall I don’t love a lot of the smug villagers, but despite how it looks I don’t dislike most of them either. Even D tier I think at least some of them I could grow to like (particularly quillson, since I do like a lot of the ducks).

I’m really picky with this type, as I mentioned in another thread, because some of them come across as flirty and creepy in a way I dislike. I do like how much flair these guys have in their designs though.

i’d love to have Lopez, O’Hare, and even some of the B tier guys some time, just to see how i like them in game, but I can’t imagine letting Rodney leave and so it likely would not be unless/ until I get my second island going again.

I just did it for the smug villagers that I had on my island or previous games. I know that Pietro is polarizing and people like to pair him up with Muffy but he is absolute trash tier for me when I had him in New Leaf.

Just based on looks alone
1627926594962.png

For the smug villagers I had at some point either in NH or previous games
1627926377626.png

Love this, so fun to do!

My personal tier list:
my-image (1).png

I love Phil, he's my bestie. He was supposed to be a temporary smug til I get all the diys but when I adopted him from a stranger's island he told me he'd love to move to my island & then to suck it lol. The person forgot he changed the catchphrase but it made me laugh after the horror that was Eugene & that was it, instant besties!

Since Phil was hit with the net daily on his former island & suffered concussions, I pampered him w/ gifts & a nice yard to help his rehab, he's thriving now!

I loved Ken the ninja chicken for his aesthetics & cool house but he had exact same dialogue w/ Phil so he sadly had to go.

Would love Ed one day cuz of my fave dannydinosaur's Dodo Airlines series.

Eugene was my mandatory smug & instant hate. With the heat of a thousand suns. Kept talking abt his producers, being an influencer etc. Always lurking behind my house & creeped me out.

Klaus, I just can't with the hair lol. Kept getting him on every villager hunt. Many many many times.
Once is too many.

Pretty basic.
my-image.png

D = villagers I either had and despised or ones that I would never invite in the first place

C = villagers that I have no strong objection to, but wouldn't care if I never had them appear.

B = villagers I either haven't met, but like the design of, or ones that I met/had previously and quite liked.

A = villagers I really like

S = Ken

Smug Redone.png

I do these Tier lists on my own time more than I should. This is like my 3rd and most recent version of it.

S Tier
Henry was my forced camp site visitor when I really wanted a Frog. My first Blue Rose was bred on his birthday. Destiny gave me Henry, he's the best frog easily. Fight me Lily stans. (She's the best female frog tho)
Colton has such a awesome Prince design and has beautiful eyes.
Jacques has a lot of character in his design, one of the few bird villagers to pop out of the crowd.
Zell is really cool looking, too bad my friend found him before me.
Kyle's African wild dog design and color scheme is incredible, love it.
Ken is a freaking ninja, he makes the Chicken species better on his own existence.
Marshal is super adorable and I love his coloring. I despise his lack of a nose though.

A Tier
Hans, the idea of some yeti moving to my tropical island is cool. I think he is under rated.
Raymond is one of the cats I prefer since he actually has a nose, office cat is cool.
Julian is a unicorn... not much to hate there besides maybe his eyes being closed 95% of the time.
Tex is a penguin with some attitude in his design which made him stand out to me against the other penguins.
Shep has a cool design and a cool home, his eyes being covered is cool but also a bit disappointing since it limits facial expressions.
Eugene is a cool Koala and helps the species stand out a little.
Kidd is oddly cute to me even though I ain't a Goat fan, I think it's the purple and brown color scheme.

B Tier
Cheddar is a fun idea but the Mouse model is sub par, his home sucks.
Keaton is cool, but his home sucks.
Lopez has a bit too much going on.
O'Hare is kind of fun and isn't as atrocious as most Rabbits, but his home is meh.
Lionel is unique but not my taste.
Olaf is creative, but the Anteater model is sub par.
Quillson showed up at my campsite once, he was oddly appealing with his weird coloring.
Huck and Curlos exist.
Phil is cool except them eyes are a bit much.
Leopald is fine, not sure I like the green mane though.
Pietro is weird but stands out at least.
Augustus and Dennis Nedry as Hamsters is both a crime against hamster kind and a little hilarious.
Klaus is a little off putting, but I like the theme.

C Tier
Hippeux has character. But I think the coloring just pushes him too far to be B Tier.
Lucha is a neat idea, but the draw strings on the back of the head for the mask unsettles me. Plus the gym home is ugly for a Smug.
Chops has a horrible hairdo.

D Tier
Beardo is just wrong.
Ed sadly looks like a villager that probably was best left forgotten with how he's just super discount Julian. To make it worse, he literally has a picture of himself in the center of his home. He was better off as a Jock to at least give Buck some competition for ugliest Jock.

488AB08D-407F-42BF-B474-548CB51CE9F2.jpeg

This list is subject to change. The ones I keep debating about the tier I’d put them on are the villagers on A and B tier. The ones I was certain about was Tex, who I had and initially didn’t like but he grew on me. Henry, who ai had previously not paid much attention to, but now think he is adorable (I like a lot of the froggies ☺️). Maybe Lopez since I really liked his design since HHD days. I also was debating where to put Graham. I like him a whole lot more than when I got him as my first camper. I was going to put him in A tier but then I decided to put him in B since there are a few designs I like better than his even though I do find him adorable now :).

I’m thinking maybe Ohare and Curlos should have been in C tier. I like Ohare’s design more than Curlos but hmm, I haven’t quite decided how much I like either them. I am interested a little in Curlos; I like his name and design quite a bit. First time I ranked a rooster/chicken this high. I really love his dark color scheme and he doesn’t really look like a smug from the picture. I believe Colton used to be lower tier too since I don’t like too many of the horses’ designs. He has grown on me quite a bit since my last tier list.

I don’t any of the lions, though awhile ago I saw this fan art so there is a possibility that maybe in time I will like Leopold since I love Seteth in FE3H and thought that was a cute idea.

Rodney has been at S tier for me for a few months at least; when I first started playing NH he was on the bottom. So glad that changed ☺️. I don’t care if people think Marshal and Raymond are overrated; I love them because I think they’re adorable. I also love a lot of the squirrels and cats ☺️.

View attachment 388374
This was fun! I changed each tier to my personal experiences. Also, the amount of people with Phil in their lower tiers is criminal.
After I got Phil a friend asked if I'm doing a Halloween/horror-themed island (she wasn't a fan of my starter Muffy either). I told her no, I'm thinking of making a tropical island but ouch lol.

my-image.png

So far in NH I think I've only had 6 smug villagers (Raymond, Kyle, Marshal, Julian, Toby and Leopold) so most of this is ranked on my first impression of them by either their photos or brief run-ins with them on other islands and is subject to change.

S: Raymond is my favourite smug and a permanent villager on my island, his colour scheme and attitude reminds me of one of my Maine Coons (they're not completely identical but more similar then any other cat in the game) so he holds a special place in my heart. Kyle is another top choice for me as I think he has a cool design and I'm a fan of the wolves and after never previously considering Marshal I ended up with him on my island as he was my first campsite villager and he quickly grew on me, despite his constant frown he was always really nice with everyone on my island and was one of my first villagers to hand over their photo.

A: I really like Julian, his design is really unique and he has a great colour scheme. Currently he's the only other smug villager on my island, and while he'll be moving away once he's given up his photo, I'm really enjoying having him in the meantime. I've not had any of the other three on my island but they are all villagers that I'd like to try (especially Zell) and constantly keep an eye out for them when island hopping, I think they all have interesting designs and are all part of species that I really like.

B: I enjoyed having Toby on my island butI didn't grow as attached to him as I did to some of the other smug villagers and I'm not a huge fan of his design compared to some of the others. Overall I probably prefer the design of O'Hare for a smug rabbit but as I've currently never had him, nor am I looking for him like the Tier A villagers, I've ranked them at the same level. Lopez looks like a villager that I'd be happy to have but I much prefer the look of Zell for a smug deer so he ranks just below him. Tex and Ken both have cool designs that fit in well with the smug personality and I like both their colour schemes, they're not really villagers that I'm looking for but I wouldn't be disappointed if they were random move-ins. I'm not usually a massive fan of frogs but Henry is one of my favourite ones and I'd rather have him on my island over Huck so he ranks just above him.

C: I'm quite indifferent to most of the villagers in this tier, some of them have interesting designs but most of them don't stand out to me like the villagers in the higher tiers and are part of species that I'm not usually drawn to. While I'm not actively looking for any of these villagers I've ranked them in Tier C as they look like villagers that would grow on me if they did move to my island, Leopold was an early random move-in who I grew to like more then I'd expected to.

D: These villagers are similar to the ones in Tier C in that I don't really have a strong opinion on them but basing their rankings on brief glimpses I've had of them in game and on their photos I like their designs less then the villagers in the higher tiers. These are the villagers that from first glance I wouldn't be happy to see move onto my island and I don't think I'd grow to like them in the same way as some of the other villagers but they're definitely not the worst of the smug villagers to me.

F: I've never had any of these villagers but I'm sure that I'd still dislike them even if they did spend time living on my island. Hans gets slight bonus points for having a much better colour scheme to the other villagers in this tier but I really dislike the design of the gorillas, they're probably my least favourite species in game, so he's stuck in the bottom tier. I really dislike Beardo's design, his colour isn't awful by any means but I find all visible body hair off putting. Graham is at risk of falling into the awful colour scheme group but my biggest problem with him is his eyes, if I could see his pupils through the glasses then I'd probably like him more than I do. Chops and Hippeux have no redeeming qualities and probably should've been in an extra tier together below this one, they have awful colour schemes, they're both part of species that I'm not a big fan off (especially Hippeux) and they get in the way too much when I'm island hopping for better villagers.

Yeah he's adorable
He looks like this preppy rich dude
He just screams smug

Hes one of my favourite villagers
His conversations with Renee are the funniest!
Post automatically merged:

Example:
Quillson: What is Renee’s best move?
Me: She throws fireballs!
Renee: Uh, you know that’s not possible, right?
Quillson: WHOA! You can throw FIREBALLS?
Renee: No Quillson, that’s only a video game thing.
Quillson: You’re doing VIDEO GAME MOVES? Forget throwing fireballs! Teach me to double jump, or use save points, or fast travel, or be made of polygons!

These are always fun. Here is mine
35D92E41-4196-4F46-B22C-AE34648538D5.png

Group S: I like so many smugs. I had a hard time between S and A.
Ken: I actually have never had him but based on looks he looks awesome. Would love to have him on one
Kyle: I have him on Serenity he is a great wolf to have
Marshal: no longer have him but will have him again on Jurai. He is a cute little marshmallow.
Lopez and Zell: love the deer villagers hood to see both at some point.
Tex love all the penguins and he is just adorable.

Group B
Cheddar : I have had cheddar in past games and loved having him. Was always sad when he would leave.
Lucha: was my forced camper on Jurai. I like him a lot more the I though I would.
Julian: Julian was a great villager and will probably have him back at some time.
Kidd: never actually had him so based on looks he would’ve a great fit for Jurai.
Eugene: I have had him in the past and really liked him.
Henry is such a great frog and very cute.
I based everyone else based on looks and if I would want them on my island. I feel bad putting anyone under C since I’m sure someone likes them:

Quillson: Hey mom! What’s for dinner?
Renee: Microwaved cream spinach, what else? Wait! Did you just call me MOM?
Quillson: Yeah! It’s for my audition, I assume I’ll be playing the role of your son. Now then, would we be having French toast for dessert?
Renee: There is no audition! And I am NOT your mom!
Quillson: Don’t you know Renee? Life is an audition! Did you get that? I want to use it in my reel.
Renee: You’re about to be CANCELED, Quillson! So I wouldn’t worry about your reel right now!

Back