What’s your current Villager “strategy”

I have a big attachment to Groucho, but I still feel that I must let him go at some point, because otherwise I could never invite another Cranky, since Gonzo will be permanent. And my curse is that I meet too many Crankies on my Island Trips which I want for my Island. I recently let Elvis go, even tho I didn’t get his picture. Normally I wanted Merengue or Marshal to leave, but they simply refuse. And then I Island Hopped and hoped for a decent Lazy or Snooty and I found Axel, which I invited, because I like him, even tho he is a Jock.

It’s all just a big mess, but I feel that cycling through Villagers can be a lot of Fun and you always meet so many Characters you enjoy in the end. Mostly I decide on my Gut Instinct, when the time comes that someone has to leave.

The only villagers that I have that I plan to keep are Marina and Roscoe. What I try to do is keep my recent additions for as long as possible unless they're someone I don't like. I do want to get their pictures though.

I plan to keep 9/10 of my current villagers. Then I use my 10th spot to try new villagers. It’s maple right now, but I’ll probably let her move eventually.

i currently have 10 dreamies planned out but only have 6 of them atm. once i get their picture, anybody who isn’t a dreamie can leave whenever they’d like. that’s when i’ll go island hopping but instead of only looking for my remaining dreamies, i’ll invite whoever i run into that i like. that way, i still get to experience new villagers and some of my favourites without rushing the process of trying to obtain all my dreamies - it’s fun for me that way, since i like island hopping and new villagers are fun to experience :)

When I first started playing the game, I initially was kinda in a rush to get all of my favorites. I also had no clue how attached that I would get to Rudy, a jock - my least favorite personality. I got Lily from island hopping as one of my first four villahers and she was going to be a temporary even though I thought she was cute, but now I’m only letting her leave because of her starter house and flea and some gifts that I gave her and there are some other villagers I want more :/; otherwise I’d kick her out and reinvite her via amiibo card as I had with a few of my villagers whose houses I had messed up.

I used amiibo cards for Punchy, Kiki and Roscoe and aside from using the cards to redo their houses via kicking them out and reinvite them, I have sworn not to use any more since I realized it was not as fun as meeting random villagers by island hopping or even as a random move in. I did buy Raymond which did the same, but it also gave me the opportunity to meet @kazaf, a really nice guy who I am staying in touch with when I can :) and have another fun trading experience.

Atm, I have at least three more dreamies that I want but I have only two spots left, so rather than try to get them, I’m going to use these last two spots to cycle so I can meet more villagers and collect their pictures. I might eventually do a free mini cycling thread (will be tough with only two spots), but probably will wait until I’m done with poster project I’m doing.

Right now most of my island is going to move at some point. I like all my current villagers, but I want my island to be a collection of favorite villagers from previous towns of mine. Since all those towns are either derelict or don't exist anymore it would be great to have them all again. So I've been island hopping whenever there's an open slot and waiting to sell the 10th plot of land, just in case some dream camper arrives.

I have decided that I'm only trying to get photos of my favorites or if I don't have their amiibo card. If I have their amiibo card and they want to move before I get their picture, I might let them go if I'm tired of them or just want a change up.

My villager strategy is to have all "realistic" looking villagers. Also, I want to try to have all permanent residents, but i'm looking to switch Pashmina out, just because I don't really like her. :)

I've obtained most of my villagers (Rosie, Coco, Marshal, Muffy, Punchy, and Chief) through amiibos, so I'd more or less be willing to part with them eventually. I'm more focused on keeping at least one villager from each personality type (although I'm currently lacking a jock villager) for recipe purposes, but unless it's Rosie, my permanent resident, I let villagers come and go as they please.

I've decided to let all of my villagers leave eventually. But I at least try and get their pics first. And some I want to keep longer than others. For instance, I have Marina's pic, but I'm not quite ready to let her leave anytime soon. Still, she'll leave eventually, even though I bought her off someone. I was originally gonna keep some "permanent" villagers but I realized I'd get bored. I actually let Merry leave recently- she was one of my first, meaning she moved in in March. I LOVED her, she was pretty much my favorite when I had her, but it was time. Plus, I have Tangy now, so I'm set on peppy cats.

I'm also considering having some villagers seasonally. Like, I found Lucky on an island yesterday. He's not a dreamie, but he is cute... and I realized he'd be fun to have around for Halloween!

I’m much the same as the others I probably have two who I’d be okay if they left. The others are very much permanent. I’ve been lucky that I’ve only once had one of my permanent people ask to move out prior to that’s it’s always been those I’ve been on the fence about. When they leave I normally do the mystery island hopping but last few times I’ve not found anyone on my list after 60ish jumps so was happy to take someone without the hassle!

Seeing the ridiculously bad odds of encountering who you want on the Nook Miles Islands even when you stack the deck in your favor (it took me actual weeks to find Tucker even though the only villagers that could show up at the time were Lazy villagers) and how seemingly annoying the campsite method looks, I sidestepped all of that hassle and just purchased amiibo. All of my New Leaf towns, and now my New Horizons island, all have specific themes that they're based around and I chose the residents based on those themes. My island's theme has to do with various cultures throughout history, from prehistory up to the modern day. There are only so many villagers who actually represent that theme to some degree as it is, so most of their positions are solid and they won't be replaced. There are only two that I'm considering potentially switching out in the future, and if I regret it any, I can just bring them back if necessary with their amiibo.

As such, villagers aren't really a concern for me anymore, it's mostly collecting clothes or items I still need, capturing and donating the remaining fish, bugs, and deep sea creatures, collecting the remaining art for the museum, or figuring out how to further beautify and develop the island.

I'm pretty content with all of the villagers living on my island at the moment. When I initially had Rocco, I wanted to make him move out by making the days go by. But my heart always wins me over and now I want to keep him. I guess I'm the one who is a cranky villager.

I get really attached to most of my villagers, but it's also really fun to cycle villagers and find them on mystery islands. I think it's because it feels like gambling. I am getting to the point where I can't let any of them go anymore, so, I will have to say good bye to gambling.

Back