• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What names do you give to your player characters?

What names do you give your player characters?

• My name

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • A nickname

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Names of family/friends

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Silly/funny names

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
Nickname.

Actually, my main character is my name; but my other character is the name I like the most. I usually use nicknames, though.

I like to name my characters after anime characters or just pick something funny. In Pokemon Colosseum I try to match the two main characters. I have used Ash and Misty and Zabuza and Haku lol. I also like my name in Loz Windwaker: MisnLink. (Missing Link heh heh)

Depends on the game. In LoZ games, anything other than the name Link feels weird. My sister played through Twilight Princess with all the characters calling Link "Kelly" and it gave me the heebie-jeebies. If it's a simulation type of game (including Animal Crossing) I usually use my name or one of my nicknames, since my name is historically just one letter too long. For other RPGs I'll just use one of my favourite names, or in the case of fantasy/sci-fi RPGs like Skyrim I'll try to make it canon to the universe/race of the character. (eg. giving an Argonian an Argonian-sounding name)

Last edited:
first of all i love when i have the option to name a character. If it's a game like AC I use Zane, but mostly I just use names that I like or I feel they would suit the character. In rare circumstance I'll use the name of one of my OCs or a favorite canon character (for instance, my Pkmn Y trainer is named Bones, like DeForest Kelley's nickname in Star Trek). My trainers always seem to get the name that I like the most at that point in time, actually, instead of having a consistent nickname for all of them.

I found it odd that you have the option to rename Link in LoZ, but I always do. haha

i usually name my characters "nikki" (or "shiro" if its a male) after myself (and my OC) for RPGs and stuff. for MMOs i obviously make them their own character though

Last edited:
i just name them after me
however if im playing through again for whatever reason, i'll keep them as the default name

It depends, but I usually give spare characters weird names.

If the character has a preset default name (like in Final Fantasy), then I'll keep it at the default name. If it's something like Animal Crossing or Pokemon, I'll use my middle name because I like it better than my first name.

If the character already has a name, I'll stick with that. Often, I end up looking up the main character from a game to see if the makers gave them a name already. If they don't, I'll make up some totally different name.
Or, in the case of Persona 3 because I couldn't remember the protagonist's name and didn't have anything immediately next to me that I could use to look it up, I called him Charlie Tunoku (same as a youtubers that I watched then called his protagonist, except I spelled it right xD)

If the character has a default name like in Zelda I'll usually keep that name, if it's a game like Elder Scrolls I'll choose lore friendly names. I do sometimes use my nicknames for characters.

Always Elise, my name. I feel more immersed in the game when characters call me by my real name.

Back