What names do you give to your player characters?

What names do you give your player characters?

• My name

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • A nickname

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Names of family/friends

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Silly/funny names

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters

oranje

Guava Purveyor
Bells
Island
San Goiaba
Orange (Fruit)
When a video game gives you an option of naming a character, what names do you normally give them? Do you give them your own name, names of families or friends, silly names, nicknames, or something else?

I normally give my own name, even for male characters (Like in Legend of Zelda). In other games, like Mass Effect, I name my characters after other characters, like Samus from Metroid or Xena from Xena: Warrior Princess.

Last edited:
Depends. If I'm playing a game where the main character has an established name (such as LOZ games), I keep that name. If I'm playing a game where I can choose my gender, I use my own name; if I'm not, I'll make up a guy name. For other games, where characters are obviously Japanese or something (like the Persona games), I'll usually use an anime characyer's name lol.

Usually, though, my characters are named after me.

Default names. If it's a roleplaying game, like Skyrim or something, I make up a name. If it's like Animal Crossing I use my real name.

I always research the game beforehand to find if the character has a default name, and name my character that. It actually really stresses me if a character doesn't have a default name (for example, pokemon conquest's protagonists are called Hero/Heroine). In those circumstances, I resort to naming them after me (after a while of intense deliberation, lol).

Animal crossing is different, I don't mind using my own name for it :)

I love it when a game has several different names for their protagonists, like the pokemon main series protags usually have their game name, manga name, anime name, and japanese name to choose from :D

Last edited:
I name my Animal Crossing characters weird names. Two of them were named after Disney heroines from Rescuers and Oliver & Company. The other I had kept the name since Westport, and I wanted to come up with a weird name, but a real name.

Last edited:
I almost always give my male characters names that start with the letter K (same as my first name, lol). As for girls, I like to use 'Rin'... because it rhymes with my, well, you know >u>;;

I use my name for girl chars and my bf's name for male chars.
yeappp not very creative

Sometimes my real name, and other times something stupid.
Take my White 2 Trainer for example. I named him "I never".
The little things give me a laugh.

If they have a default name I'll always use that. If not, I'll use my own name if the character is female or River or Eli or something if it's male, just cause I like those names.

I usually choose one of my OC's from my stories as a name for a character and it typically varies sometimes its all related as it all from one story in a certain game but like in ACNL I have OC's from 2 diff stories of mine *shrugs*

I normally use my nickname, Earth, though if I want something different, I'll go with something such as Faith, Tao, Kestrel or Bayou.

I always go with Merl (short for Merlin). Just a stupid joke between friends that has always stuck.

I end up with my real name. Even in things like Legend of Zelda, where people may put "Link" in as the name. It's because back in the N64/Gameboy days they'd literally say things that lead you to believe that it was suppose to be YOU in the game, not Link or whoever/whatever. Lol But if I'm like "ew no their real name needs to stay" then I keep it.

Back