What is everyone's opinions so far now that it has been over half a year since release?

If you wish to use a rating system, use this:

• Total voters
I have countless hours on this game and still want to play! I get a little bored towards the end of the month or the end of a season but a new month or new season pulls me back in!

i agree with the general consensus of four stars. i've logged 500 hours into the game and have really grown to love it since launch - however, there are things that really need to be improved or built on before the end of the game's lifecycle. most have already been said so i'm not gonna go too deep into it, but more dialogue, way more furniture, more building upgrades/customizations and quality of life improvements would easily bump new horizons up to five stars in my opinion.

i also really love the new things that have been added (terraforming, moving buildings around, pumpkin and hopefully more farming) and hope to see more new things in the future, but only as long as we get back everything we're missing as well. unfortunately there's still quite a few things missing from this itineration and that's gotta change.

id give it like a 3.5 maybe? its a pretty good game but i take long breaks often due to how theres not much to really do sometimes, at least compared to previous games. to be fair i had this issue with new leaf too

Rating:
⭐⭐⭐

Pros:
⭐Outdoors decoration
This was very restricted in past games. Even in New Leaf had some limitations in what you could do with your town. New Horizons improves this feature vastly and it's amazing what you can do with your town. Even if you aren't into decorating
⭐Villager interaction
While villager dialogue is less quirky and less involved than in older games, I feel like the villager interaction is overall better. They feel more alive because the actually interact with their environment. Instead of just roaming around aimlessly, they can fish, read a book or visit shops. Overall they feel more fleshed out and more like actual people.
⭐Crafting
I like the crafting feature. While the constantly breaking tool can be annoying, it gives you something to do besides catching bugs and fish. It feels like a natural inclusion and isn't too grind heavy.

Cons:
(n)Update-policy:
I didn't mind this approach at first. Continous updates can provide a great opportunity to keep the game fresh. However, we all soon realized that the updates came at the cost of several key-features like shop-updates, the café or Gyroids that where seemingly deliberately cut from the game, only to be intruced later through updates. I don't think it's entitled to expect these features in the base game and it feels like a cheap cop-out to hold them back to draw out the games lifespan.
Half a year has passed and the updates were a mixture of "new" old features that should have been in from the start (shrubs, Art, Diving), and seasonal content that lost its novelty very quickly. Overall, I am not impressed.

(n)Online-pushiness
Several design-choices feel like the developers deliberately try to push you towards online-interaction: You're limited to 3 of 6 types of fruit unless you trade with someone, when in older games, there were ways to get them all by yourself, DIYs are designed to encourage online-trading, furniture colours are arbitrarily locked to the island and features like Celeste and Redd are so heavily RNG-based, that it might take you 20 years to aquire all the items without help.
Animal Crossing isn't a multiplayer-experience for me like games like Splatoon or Smash Bros. Please stop trying to push a playstyle on me. Especially if it is one that isn't the focus of the series.

I'm the same boat, to me Animal Crossing is a single player game for me & I'm really starting to resent Nintendo trying to force us to play online. I wouldn't mind it so much if like previous games all you needed was an Internet connection but now you have to actually pay to play online which I think I'd really unfair.

I think a 3 so far. Since it’s been half a year and only half of the updates are in, it’s fair to give it a middle score.

I think all of the features in new horizons are good. I like the shops, the ables having multiple clothes per day, being able to move buildings around once placed. Plus custom paths, moving trees, rocks etc etc.

I feel like the base game, aside from the updates, is solid. The updates bring something new to the table and honestly they encourage me to come back to the game and play. Plus sites like this offering trading outlet, it helps.

However I feel like the game is lacking in some departments. Just some feature that would make things a bit better. Like the flower becoming uncontrollable to contain and to the point where I want to remove them all or the crafting not having a way to craft more than one item.

I feel like there’s a lot more to come and I’m hoping the future updates improve some of the core features.

I voted 4/5 stars because the visuals are amazing, and I personally really enjoy terraforming. My main complaint is the lack of furniture items compared to previous games, and I can only hope that more are added in future updates. Additionally I know some people complain about villagers being "flat" personality wise since they repeat dialogue a lot, and while I do agree with that, from my perspective I think its no worse than New Leaf. I also mainly play these games for their design aspect, so I don't focus a lot on villager dialogue. Lastly my only other critique would be the fact that we have to pay money to play online with others, but thats less of an ACNH problem and more of a Nintendo problem lol.

edit: also wanted to say that I think the updates are going way too slow and really lack in quality and content. For example, I wish they had grouped the summer updates together somehow instead of slowly releasing one short thing at a time because it ends up being anticlimactic. The game feels very empty and the updates only solidify that fact when they give us one new feature every few months. If I had to critique the updates alone I would give them a 2/5 or 3/5 stars.

Back