• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Least favourite feature in the entire series so far?

Note: I didn’t read it properly, if I have to choose one it’s Villagers Moving In CF (I’m keeping everything else because I think it’s interesting, but I can delete it if necessary).

Off the top of my head, CRAFTING, GRASS DETERIORATION, TOOLS BREAKING, VILLAGERS MOVING IN CF, AND FLOWERS WITHERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may be controversial but I don’t like crafting. As a person who’s first AC was NH, when I went back and played all the other games, I hated it more and more and more. The concept is good but I don’t like the execution unfortunately.

This explains itself my CF town is ugly as hell!

When I say “Villagers Moving In City Folk” I mean how you have literally no control on them moving out. None. In ACGC, you have a tiny bit of control, as the person who you talk to least moves out. WW you just convince them while they are moving out. NL they ask most of the time, and NH you have full control. But CF? None. I read that you could send letters with a gift to make them stay, but I tried this soooooo many times to no success.

I like the idea of tools breaking, in fact it adds more reason to craft. But come on, they break too often and Golden Tools break. Like, what??????

Also withering flowers, cool idea, bad execution. Like it gives you a reason to play, but it’s more of an annoyance than anything. Like if I take a week break, three quarters of my flowers are gone :(

Last edited:
As bad as grass deterioration and breakable tools are, I'm going to give my vote to something no one has mentioned yet: Unplanned visits. In New Leaf and New Horizons, you can't even go into your house for one minute without someone barging in. And if your sole reason for going in was to redecorate, it's even worse because you can't move furniture when they're visiting. Because of this "feature," I actively avoid going into my house as much as possible.

Tools breaking and I really don't care for terraforming at all.

Flowers withering every day and eventually dying- I wouldn’t mind it too much if hybrids didn’t exist and I had the time to play everyday

Also, I don’t really like sick villagers, because I don’t always have medicine on me and it just sucks that they’re stuck inside all day.
I wholeheartedly agree with this one. When you have to be present every single day to keep things up it just isn't fun. I would rather flowers wilt from being run on and need water to stay up, which is a lot more minimal. I do like the idea of having to keep them safe and healthy, but not at the cost of being ever-present.

There were a lot for me to consider when talking about my least liked. Grass deterioration came up, but then I realized it became inconsequential for me because my wife absolutely loved to make paths on the ground for us to follow that mitigated the deterioration a lot. It gave us another avenue of play that was kind of fun oddly enough.

I am gonna throw out a hot take and that is the outside village customization... I thought I would like it, but then I started to see how it impacted how we interact with villagers. Games with the villager was a huge part of the fun for me. Even in the original game when you did the little card games, or pop quizzes, there was still something. Heck, playing with the balls in the game were fun with the villagers. When you have complete control over the landscape, stuff like Hide and Seek are gone. You can't really program that as easily when it comes to how we interact with the environment.

I always liked having to work with what I have. It made the game feel a bit more natural to me. When we were given the ability to have complete control over our surroundings and it coming at the expense of how we interact with villagers, it just sucked some of the fun out for me.

I also want to stress that I do not think the feature is bad. Everyone values different things and finds fun in different ways so I see how people love the feature, but based on what I like, it took some of the fun out for me.

In New Leaf and before it was villagers randomly moving out. That just never made any sense for me. In New Horizons, it has to be breakable tools. At a certain point, breakable tools become annoying and very bothersome. It would have been an easy fix to make golden tools unbreakable and keep the regular tools breakable for the breakable tool achievement...but no. The golden tools break as well.

Villagers moving out without my consent was definitely my least favorite feature. That’s part of why I hesitate to check on my NL town 😅; I’m afraid to see if anyone moved out lol.

Mine is a tie between tools breaking and villagers visiting you whenever you're in your home. My tools always break at the worst possible time and usually when the shop is already closed so I can't just buy another (I usually play late night and don't care to TT). I hate going inside my house now too. I just want to be able to rearrange furniture or run in to change an outfit without being disturbed by a villager. I wish we could toggle that feature off.

off the top of my head, **** grass deterioration. all my homies hate grass deterioration
Post automatically merged:

As bad as grass deterioration and breakable tools are, I'm going to give my vote to something no one has mentioned yet: Unplanned visits. In New Leaf and New Horizons, you can't even go into your house for one minute without someone barging in. And if your sole reason for going in was to redecorate, it's even worse because you can't move furniture when they're visiting. Because of this "feature," I actively avoid going into my house as much as possible.

oh yeah, **** all my villlagers as well

I mean I still love em, but still. **** em

ps. remember when this wasn't a thing in new horizons? good times

Absolutely, store hours. For a game where making money is one of the most important things, this restriction makes no sense. I'm generally on a later sleep schedule than most people so there's a lot of days I don't find the time to play until night. So I tend to miss my chance at buying a lot of items, and have to hoard my sellable junk till first thing the next day. I was really hoping in new horizons they would fix this, but it was made even worse than new leaf by moving the store closing up from 11pm to 10pm for some reason. You would think with all the characters in the game they could have different ones staffing a 24/7 store in different shifts. Or just let us sell to the abd. The drop off box could've been a good concept but with it not paying as much, it's only useful for completing nook miles tasks.

• the hats that you wear in GC (actual hats are so, so much better. Doesn't help that the boy's one is ugly)
  • Flea Market (villagers randomly visiting you is a much, much better version of it, because at least they're not barging in and trying to buy Literally Everything You Own. Don't get the hate from that, especially if it's coming from the same people who keep complaining about villager interaction and dialogue, because it's often got some good dialogue... but the Flea Market is that, but even more annoying)
  • Grass deterioration in LGTTC. Reading the Iwata Asks for LGTTC does put it in context a bit but it's just a bit overzealous and you'll accidentally make your village really barren if you don't realise that it's a thing. In NL it's slowed down a bit and is much nicer, even if the dirt's got less of a pattern now
  • controversial opinion, but: villagers only moving out with your permission. Sure, it's heartbreaking to come back to your village after a break and discover your favourite villager's gone... but the idea that nobody can leave without your permission has downright sinister implications, imo. And people wonder why villagers are always nice to you now?

Everyone saying flowers wilting, if you're playing NL or NH (at least) you can use the beautiful town ordinance and you'll never have to water them :)

My answer to the main question is... breakable tools. It gets very old very fast. Terraforming is a close second because the concept isn't bad but the execution is terrible.

Tough call. Grass deterioration and golden tools being able to break in New Horizons are the top two contenders.

Grass deterioration just sucks. I can appreciate the idea on some level in theory, it's a nice thought, but in practice it just ends up making your town look terrible. I've seriously had a barren, muddy wasteland before.

As for golden tools breaking, it's just ridiculous. We work hard to acquire these DIYs to be able to craft the tools and they require gold fragments, which at least in my experience are a very rare and limited resource. I've barely encountered a full stack of them in regular gameplay in my four years of playing New Horizons and most of the ones I've acquired and used for crafting things have been purchased from shop owners here on the forums.

I think I'll go with golden tools breaking being my least favorite. At least with grass deterioration you can repair the damage by time traveling forward a bit, something I have no problem doing since I've been a time traveler since the GameCube game and it's my preferred style of play anyway. There's no remedying golden tools being able to break. At least with the regular tools you can customize them to refresh their uses, but the golden tools have no customization options and thus can't have their uses refreshed. It's a shame they didn't add, like, a platinum customization option or something for that purpose.

shout out to when there was no way to tell if art from redd was real or fake and it took him a billion years to put any single piece of art, regardless of validity of, up for sale

and also when blathers was too stupid to appraise fossils, so you had to mail them off to the farway museum one by one each day

Animal Crossing has had its fair share of bad features (also known as Scrappy Mechanics), so I guess I’ll try to leave my list to a minimum.

First, the worst one is grass deterioration. I don’t need to explain it. I know why they added it, and maybe it could have worked, but it was implemented waaaaay too poorly to ever work. The only good thing I can say about it is that it was slightly improved in New Leaf, so now your town won’t just look like a desert for doing what you’re supposed to do in the game.

This next thing could count more as the opposite, since it’s a really good feature that wasn’t added that makes something else bad. I’m talking about bulk crafting. Because bulk crafting doesn’t exist, it makes crafting multiple things, like fish bait, very, very, very, very, very, very tedious. Especially if you have like 50 manila clams for whatever reason and you want to craft them all at once. I don’t see any reason why it doesn’t exist. Minecraft has it, because imagine if you had to craft every single wooden plank for your house individually. But that’s almost exactly what you have to do in New Horizons. And at least in Minecraft, it crafts things instantly.

And finally, while I haven’t played PG, I still think that the storage system and the fact that Blathers didn’t have a degree in fossil identifying back then would have made this list if I did play the game.

I dislike how villagers in NH don't remember you after they move. I feel it would be such a simple thing to add to the game too, like just some sort of short dialogue acknowledging that they know you.

Back